"Must don'ts" 2019

august1

45 minutes ago, Mardy said:

How is it possible to refrain from overdoing it on Weds/Thurs? I’m at my favourite place in the world with friends I love and haven’t seen in some cases since the last Glastonbury two years ago. You have your cup of tea and a sensible early night. Me, i’ll get stupidly overexcited and go hell for leather.

37 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Exactly this.

”I’m going to take it easy on the Wednesday this year”

Am I f**k. Spangled by 3 and crowd surfing at Mik Artistik by 4.

Sod trying to convince myself otherwise.

Amen brothers.

• Upvote 1

Don't bother trying to video a set and end up watching the whole thing through your phone screen. You're never going to watch it, the sound quality will be shit, you'll annoy whoever is standing behind you and you won't be fully immersed in whatever or whoever it is you're there to see. Just watch the BBC footage when you get home if you want to re-live it 

Edited by Beergirl
Words
  • Upvote 6

Going to go against the popular opinion here and say don’t go to the food place with the biggest queue just because it’s got the biggest queue. 

Speaking from experience, gf spent a month working in a food van at the Edinburgh fringe, with 5/6 other vans in close proximity, every day a different van would be “the chosen one” because people are sheep and assume they must be better because of the queue. 

The queue thing is good rule for permanent places but not at a festival where there’s hundreds to chose from! Why waste precious festival time for food that’s probably as good as you could get anywhere else. 

If you really want it get it later when there will probably be no queue! 

• Upvote 1

Don’t walk by the two or three vans on site selling hot, fresh donuts. As a pick me up, they’re the stuff of Gods. 

Don’t keep shouting Dan, or Rooney, or whatever this year’s version is. You’re the only one in earshot who thinks you’re funny. 

Don’t moan about people sitting in chairs or on rugs. It’s their festival too and the field is big enough for you to just pick somewhere else. 

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Don’t moan about people sitting in chairs or on rugs. It’s their festival too and the field is big enough for you to just pick somewhere else. 

But also don't moan if someone accidentally kicks or stands on chair or rug! 

• Upvote 2

Don't film stuff you're never going to watch again, like the fireworks, any band where you're not actually at the front etc etc, you'll just miss out actually watching it with your eyes.

Don't buy a 'comedy hat' - people will judge you.

Don't push in front of people at stages, or anywhere really

If you're in a slow moving crowd, don't get pissy, just take your time.

Don't leave your tent behind. 

Don't forget to throw your rubbish away before you leave either. 

Don't litter. 

Don't piss on the land. 

Don't get aggro at anyone. 

But mainly don't forget that you're one of the lucky ones to be there and make sure you and everyone around you are having the best possible time. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah, that’s a good one. If you’re in the crowd your part of the problem, no point getting annoyed at choosing to be in the same place as a lot of other people.

And there will be crowds & they will be big. Most likely there will be at least one moment when you realise there are so many people around you in a bottleneck that there is no ‘quick’ way out. In this situation the key is to stay calm, do not freak out, the pressure will ease eventually and everyone will be on their way.

And in this situation it’s really important to look out for everyone around you and in particular anyone who looks distressed - a few soothing words always do the trick. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

How is it possible to refrain from overdoing it on Weds/Thurs? I’m at my favourite place in the world with friends I love and haven’t seen in some cases since the last Glastonbury two years ago. You have your cup of tea and a sensible early night. Me, i’ll get stupidly overexcited and go hell for leather.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Exactly this.

”I’m going to take it easy on the Wednesday this year”

Am I f**k. Spangled by 3 and crowd surfing at Mik Artistik by 4.

Sod trying to convince myself otherwise.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Amen brothers.

ABSOLUTELY all of these. 

If you’re gonna get overly excited and drink too much at the best festival on the planet DEFINITELY do it on the Wednesday or Thursday. 

Especially if you’re a newbie. Get wrapped up in it and let yourself go.

(Within reason, of course - stay safe folks!)

Get it - and the crushing hangover - out of the way early so it self-enforces a little self-restraint for the Fri/Sat/Sun.  

Its a ‘Don’t’ thread, so:

Don’t get too obsessed with the Weather Thread. 

It’s gonna be ok. 

Remember: it’s gonna be a fuckin blast. 

• Upvote 1

Don't be afraid to go and have some time to yourself 

Don't be afraid to speak to random strangers, that's the best part of Glastonbury 

Don't judge anyone else, we all live our lives differently and that's ok 

Don't drink your Glastonbury booze before you get there ?