Jess Glynne band for life from IOW festival

CeriG

This is twice in a month. Jess Glynne pulled out of Big Weekend a few weeks back too. Same story, with the cancellation coming right down to the wire. Her band and everyone else were already at the festival site, having made it from Dublin the night before where they all supported the Spice Girls on the first night of their tour. The coach driver had done his mandated hours, so they were stuck there, so all went into Middlesborough town centre to watch Aladdin.

41 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Lame-ass moral high ground on here like legendary rock bands have never missed a gig because they got too fucked up.

If a band of any kind entirely missed a gig because they were hungover I am sure the booker would be 1. incredibly angry and 2. be reluctant to ever book them again. 

It remains to be seen if Jess Glynn is actually really banned for life, I suspect she will be booked again in the future but not for awhile fwiw, but I am confident that if it was Liam Gallagher (for arguments sake) who completely missed his set last year, he also wouldn't be booked again for a long long time/ ever. 

It's one thing to turn up pissed/ drugged up and play awfully, but its another to miss it completely. 

Edited by kemosabe

FWIW:

'Illness / Exhaustion' is often used as a euphemism by management of artists when really there's deeper, underlying, more serious issues, such as - for example - substance abuse / unhealthy behaviours. Not playing could - could - be the result of an intervention by family / friends / management in order to protect / help an artist.

If this has happened twice recently it could be a trend and someone decided to intervene on JG's behalf. 

If it's a choice between not playing and getting well, as opposed to playing, utterly bombing while in a bad state and being all over the media for that performance when you're already in a precarious state and exacerbating the issue, then the former is the best option.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Superscally said:

You earn the right for epic fuckery - she most definitely hasn't. I still think they should be binned off if they pull that shit too - and sued heavily. If she hadn't been seen to be out till 7am, fair enough, people get sick, but if you can't do the time, don't commit the crime.

I’m not even really complaining about ‘the time’ dished out to her - I couldn’t give less of a shit about that but if that’s what they’d do to everyone then it’s fair enough. It’s just the reaction among people on here who normally wouldn’t give a fuck what Jess Glynne does or what happens at Isle of Wight but are outraged because a pop-singing woman doesn’t turn up to a gig for what would historically be called ‘rock and roll behaviour’.

8 minutes ago, Havors said:

That's what you took from that?? really? 

You haven’t even climbed down on that. Fascinating.

8 minutes ago, Woffy said:

FWIW:

'Illness / Exhaustion' is often used as a euphemism by management of artists when really there's deeper, underlying, more serious issues, such as - for example - substance abuse / unhealthy behaviours. Not playing could - could - be the result of an intervention by family / friends / management in order to protect / help an artist.

If this has happened twice recently it could be a trend and someone decided to intervene on JG's behalf. 

If it's a choice between not playing and getting well, as opposed to playing, utterly bombing while in a bad state and being all over the media for that performance when you're already in a precarious state and exacerbating the issue, then the former is the best option.

Yup. JG makes all of her money off being a R1 act. If she messed that up it would be the end

10 minutes ago, Woffy said:

FWIW:

yes it is an Amy Winehouse on WH situation isnt it...

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’m not even really complaining about ‘the time’ dished out to her - I couldn’t give less of a shit about that but if that’s what they’d do to everyone then it’s fair enough. It’s just the reaction among people on here who normally wouldn’t give a fuck what Jess Glynne does or what happens at Isle of Wight but are outraged because a pop-singing woman doesn’t turn up to a gig for what would historically be called ‘rock and roll behaviour’.

You haven’t even climbed down on that. Fascinating.

Climbed down on what? what the fuck are you going on about?? ?

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yup. JG makes all of her money off being a R1 act. If she messed that up it would be the end

7 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

yes it is an Amy Winehouse on WH situation isnt it...

It may very well not be the case, and just dickish behaviour.

But I bet if you google 'Amy W...', 'Demi L...' or 'Pete D...' coupled with 'exhaustion' you'll get a load of hits as 'reasons' for not attending gigs, poor behaviour. Addiction / mental health, etc, doesn't discriminate. It doesn't give a flying fuck if you're a Radio1 act or not.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

You’re acting like commenting on how much a singer moves their hips isn’t strange.

I made a joke about her doing fuck all on stage so she couldn't be exhausted she must have been hungover.... and that's what you took from it? sigh.... 

giphy.gif

Just remember guys don't mess with anything "Spice" it'll fuck you up... 

I can't get the image of Sporty Spice pouring Vodka down JG's throat while shouting "take this this Ginger" out of my head....

Bad form cancelling at such short notice but she's not the first and won't be the last. Hopefully not something more sinister like with Amy.W.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

It was a complete mess. I passed by the second set at William’s Green which sounded slightly better but still all over the place. 

Went with a mate to see her at Williams Green to see what all the fuss is about as he's a huge fan. Gave it 15 minutes too long and went for coffee, cake and custard from the great coffee place opposite instead. She was dire and eating cake was a much better way to spend a Sunday (?) afternoon

Edited by Digi

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I didn’t get that there was a joke there. You could have said that in your first reply.

If I had to tell you it was a joke then it would ruin it haha! Maybe my typo ruined it... i was meant to say "moves" not "moved" past tense :D