McShit festivals

eFestivals

2 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

I wouldn't worry on that part. It would take a monumental effort on the part of the younger generation to be as selfish, wasteful and fickle as the baby boomers. Research and surveys are generally showing that younger people (on the whole) are significantly more conscious of the finite resources that we have, the challenge of climate change, they are more health conscious than previous generations, more vegetarians and vegans than ever before. The school strike for climate change is a great example of this.

but being more indulging of mega-capitalism works against all of that. ;) 

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

True, although i think the McD's thing is less about a generation more indulgent of mega brands and more about festivals becoming attractive to a more mainstream audience - that advert for Festticket doing the rounds on TV at the moment shows how mainstream "festivals" have now become.

7 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

True, although i think the McD's thing is less about a generation more indulgent of mega brands and more about festivals becoming attractive to a more mainstream audience

Festival have certainly become more attractive to a more mainstream audience, but that still doesn't mean that mainstream audience want the festival markets to be an identikit of their local high street.

Even for the mainstreamers festivals are the antithesis of normal life.

that advert for Festticket doing the rounds on TV at the moment shows how mainstream "festivals" have now become.

I think that's about something else entirely, about how Festicket have told investors that festivals have become mainstream. ;) 

A few TV ads are dirt cheap alongside the income they don't have to cover their high costs.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

There seem to be folks of (I assume) a range of ages in here that would either tolerate it or not.

I think that's perhaps more a product of this age that it could be considered appropriate.  Clearly in the case of this particular festival it's a moot point, as it simply wouldn't happen.  

Having recently seen that documentary with the intolerable locals, the thing that has changed since the 90s is that you'd never envisage a corporation wanting to be involved with as was.  

Would have been funny hearing all the sales pitches though.

"Black 'ash!"

"'shrooms"

"Big macs"

Edited by clarkete

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I don't particularly want to see a monoculture of big brands dominating, but playing devils advocate it's much easier to get the media to run stories about the wasteful packaging of a big company than a small independent shop. And by getting a big company to change it's policy it will have a much bigger effect than getting a small shop to change the resources it uses.

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

I don't particularly want to see a monoculture of big brands dominating, but playing devils advocate it's much easier to get the media to run stories about the wasteful packaging of a big company than a small independent shop. And by getting a big company to change it's policy it will have a much bigger effect than getting a small shop to change the resources it uses.

I get what you mean there, as I'm using similar justification for linking to amazon.

But that thinking for the high street doesn't have to carry across to festivals as a justification for McD's. Plenty of festivals have been insisting on sustainable packaging for food traders for a while.

The independent traders are a big part of what has made festivals special and the popular thing they've become - because it makes festivals a special and unique space in our corporate-dominated world. I think it would be a big shame to lose that, and if McD's is acceptable then so is everything else.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

But that’s the world they have grown up in.  It probably doesn’t feel like a choice.  You’re suggesting something akin to not breathing.

And who created this world they have grown up in...? ?

1 minute ago, ICGenie said:

But that’s the world they have grown up in.  It probably doesn’t feel like a choice.  

it's the world they've grown up in, and is probably as much of a choice as their support for climate change action. They've had their heads filled with one idea, and the other probably not touched upon.

(I'm not suggesting they shouldn't have had good info & education on climate change, to be clear - I'm pointing out that some ideas get shut out).

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, maelzoid said:

Of course it begs the question, how the hell have I bought great burgers at other festivals from other retailers for similar money?

Because I work in food service and I know how much these things cost at cost level, and in reality it isn't hard to make a good burger at the cost of £1.20.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, Chinaski_ said:

Call me old fashioned, but why do you need a phone at a festival? The whole point is you're lost in an oasis of the festival for a few days. I remember when you just used to say to your mate "I'll meet you at x". It's like they're inviting the idea of instagramming everything. 

Because I enjoy using Instagram and taking photos which has literally zero effect on your life?