McShit festivals

eFestivals

Just now, DeanoL said:

No I'm thinking more places that do local street food markets. Temporary markets though where they just drive the van in. I guess sourcing produce is an extra issue for festival places though.

just because they're doing street trading doesn't mean they're also doing festies. It's not like Glasto can force places to apply, and i'd guess they're already hugely over-subscribed.

4 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Are there any statistics or threads even regarding how profitable independent stalls tend to be over the Glastonbury week? Loosely relevant to the McDonald's theme but something I'd be interested to see.

not as far as i know - but I do know that bad weather can totally screw a stall's trade, so it's not guaranteed profits.

40 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

How Brexity.

I used to work with someone who only ate fish and chips, toast with lemon curd and cornflakes but without milk. She did used to refer to anything else as foreign muck!! 

I suspect that not all people who like plain food are Brexit but that there is probably a fairly high percentage of them who are. 

43 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I used to work with someone who only ate fish and chips, toast with lemon curd and cornflakes but without milk. She did used to refer to anything else as foreign muck!! 

I suspect that not all people who like plain food are Brexit but that there is probably a fairly high percentage of them who are. 

Being autistic and working in the field I know many autistic people love their plain food and most I know definitely aren't brexity. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ourkid1984 said:

Being autistic and working in the field I know many autistic people love their plain food and most I know definitely aren't brexity. 

Yes that's why I said not all. Lots of people have sensory issues with food and/or lots of allergies that make it easier to stick to plain food particularly in crowded fields. I was referring to the percentage who stick to good old fish and chips or burgers and chips because they don't to quote my ex-colleague like foreign muck! 

14 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes that's why I said not all. Lots of people have sensory issues with food and/or lots of allergies that make it easier to stick to plain food particularly in crowded fields. I was referring to the percentage who stick to good old fish and chips or burgers and chips because they don't to quote my ex-colleague like foreign muck! 

Ah burger and chips.  That classic combination of German and French food ?

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I knew what you meant. I was kind of confirming what you said.

I have met plenty of people who say stuff like your ex colleague, including my nan, who say they don't like it but it comes down to more of a fear of the unknown.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

I love this place and visit here every day, many times, particularly in the run up to the festival. However, when I read threads like this it makes me despair. 

People can be so bloody judgemental and plainly think they’re better than others for no obvious reason. 

It can definitely seem like that sometimes and has put me off posting in the past but I generally don't think it's done on purpose or with bad intentions it's more a case of misunderstanding what the other person is trying to say. Body language and tone of voice helps with people being more respectful which sadly is hard to come across in text.

There's loads of companies that I personally don't like but that wouldn't determine my opinion of a festival if they were there (unless of course it was the only option). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jfaragher said:

City centre yeah, you want to get yourself down to Easton for something decent.

Or just get something from rice & ting instead

/well now I look stupid, what with your follow up comment on Thali Cafe don't I...

Have you tried the samosas from the Sweet Mart. Yum yum.

6 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Maybe it's just that Glasto does still have the shitty burger and hotdog places along with actual decent stuff. There's also been a slow improvement more recently I think. Finally dropping places like The Growler etc. 

But you go to say Digbeth Dining Club, you can be sure all the stalls will be impressive. Glasto still has an element of "avoid the Gormet Burger Van" - there's enough good food stalls out there now it's odd they still give space to the poor ones.

I think a large part of that is ability to serve the volumes required and ability to pay fees. A lot of the shit ones are owned by companies that have 5, 10, 20 vans or more and are proper large businesses, they are still a necessary part of the line up

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

just because they're doing street trading doesn't mean they're also doing festies. It's not like Glasto can force places to apply, and i'd guess they're already hugely over-subscribed.

Plus for those who have regular pitches at a decent market, doing the one off festivals can be a real challenge as if they don’t turn up to their regular place they could lose their pitch. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

On the plus side the presence of the three word app and McDonalds means we can’t be too far away from having sausage and egg bagels delivered by drone in the morning.

They might have to change that special law they have that prohibits drones then ?

You could go old school like it used to be where you'd find some bloke with no shirt on riding a trail bike with a girl on the back . Just give them a rucksack full of burgers (veggie naturally).

Keeping the old festival spirit alive about "entrepreneurs" wandering around collecting fivers for their wares. 

11 hours ago, marcwilson87 said:

Maybe it is just a response to what the new generation of punters want/expect nowadays? Festivals dont draw the same people they did 10 years ago.

you might be right, but that would mean the world is getting more-fucked by the younger generations than it's been fucked by those older. :( 

I was at V Festival at Weston Park in 2017. 

Got my tickets 241 I think through Wowcher? Or one of those type sites. 

There was a McDonalds on site blasting out music and a giant screen showing selfies of people eating McFlurrys. The queue was enormous! 

... funnily enough V was cancelled that year ??‍♀️ 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

you might be right, but that would mean the world is getting more-fucked by the younger generations than it's been fucked by those older. :( 

I wouldn't worry on that part. It would take a monumental effort on the part of the younger generation to be as selfish, wasteful and fickle as the baby boomers. Research and surveys are generally showing that younger people (on the whole) are significantly more conscious of the finite resources that we have, the challenge of climate change, they are more health conscious than previous generations, more vegetarians and vegans than ever before. The school strike for climate change is a great example of this.