McShit festivals

eFestivals

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not been to Bristol in ages so maybe they're lagging behind London/Birmingham/Manchester too.

nothing i've seen (TV, etc) or heard makes me think it is and bristol has tended to be a leader in these sorts of things - tho i've not been to london for years now. 

(mind you, Bristol is proper shit for a good curry :( )

Edited by eFestivals

At work last year I had to do one of those interesting fact about you; 2 truths and a lie. Now I had a really good friend in the group who knew most of my interesting stories and someone mentioned something food related so I thought I'd tell the truth that I had never purchased anything ever from a McDonald's and people were utterly amazed. It took over the meeting where people kept saying that I needed to correct it and me assuring them that I really didn't and that I'd had no shortage of opportunities to eat from there but I preferred to eat as much as possible in individual places and not multinational corporations. 

Maybe it's just that Glasto does still have the shitty burger and hotdog places along with actual decent stuff. There's also been a slow improvement more recently I think. Finally dropping places like The Growler etc. 

But you go to say Digbeth Dining Club, you can be sure all the stalls will be impressive. Glasto still has an element of "avoid the Gormet Burger Van" - there's enough good food stalls out there now it's odd they still give space to the poor ones.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Maybe it's just that Glasto does still have the shitty burger and hotdog places along with actual decent stuff. There's also been a slow improvement more recently I think. Finally dropping places like The Growler etc. 

But you go to say Digbeth Dining Club, you can be sure all the stalls will be impressive. Glasto still has an element of "avoid the Gormet Burger Van" - there's enough good food stalls out there now it's odd they still give space to the poor ones.

I think every year it gets better but you must remember there are a lot of people who are quite plain eaters and just want a basic burger or fish and chips. I've heard people complain that food today is just too poncy. 

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Maybe it's just that Glasto does still have the shitty burger and hotdog places along with actual decent stuff.

yep, it does. I reckon that stuff is there because it's generally got a higher service capacity (more meals a minute) than the more-artisan stuff.

Plus of course it's got nearly every 'good' stall you see anywhere else too - so the less-good stuff is needed to pad it out.

After all, everyone needs to get fed.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nothing i've seen (TV, etc) or heard makes me think it is and bristol has tended to be a leader in these sorts of things - tho i've not been to london for years now.

Street food is getting out of hand in London...markets all over the place, permanent and pop-up, endless variations of every possible cuisine.

It's a hugely competitive scene, so the quality is generally good, but it can be expensive for what you get and the portions are usually too big, imo, for a healthy lunch.

Shout out to my favourite stall 'Buddha Bowls' who are at Glastonbury, and also a five minute walk from my London office on Thursdays & Fridays. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

yep, it does. I reckon that stuff is there because it's generally got a higher service capacity (more meals a minute) than the more-artisan stuff.

Plus of course it's got nearly every 'good' stall you see anywhere else too - so the less-good stuff is needed to pad it out.

Not really - I could name 20-odd good street food places that I've never seen at Glastonbury. Though as you say it's more likely to be those local to Bristol - may not be as economic for those travelling further. Especially as other events exist. And guess I'm in Efests groupthink mode of "why would any food vendor not want to be at Glasto, given half the chance?"

Just now, baggienick68 said:

I'm guessing then that you don't like the Thali Cafe. I thought it was pretty good. 

it's just round the corner from me, and it's OK (was in there last w/e), but the menu is very small - and I prefer the trad Indian a few doors down, particularly at the much cheaper price.

Just now, EasyUserName said:

I never went, didn't notice it even to be honest.  What was the issue with it?

It was shit food. Not that I didn't have one most years, there was a novelty to it and it hit the spot after a heavy night. but in 2003 it was a fun novelty (where else were you going to get a roll stuffed with bacon, chips and sauce and covered in cheese). But nowadays you have places that do odd novelty food that's also lovely.

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

(mind you, Bristol is proper shit for a good curry :( )

City centre yeah, you want to get yourself down to Easton for something decent.

Or just get something from rice & ting instead

/well now I look stupid, what with your follow up comment on Thali Cafe don't I...

Edited by jfaragher
/I'm an idiot

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

It was shit food. Not that I didn't have one most years, there was a novelty to it and it hit the spot after a heavy night. but in 2003 it was a fun novelty (where else were you going to get a roll stuffed with bacon, chips and sauce and covered in cheese). But nowadays you have places that do odd novelty food that's also lovely.

Ah, I see.  Mind, I have soup tonight (pre-festival diet, bah) so I could eat a roll stuffed with bacon, chips and cheese quite happily right now. 

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not really - I could name 20-odd good street food places that I've never seen at Glastonbury. Though as you say it's more likely to be those local to Bristol - may not be as economic for those travelling further. Especially as other events exist. And guess I'm in Efests groupthink mode of "why would any food vendor not want to be at Glasto, given half the chance?"

but have you seen them at festivals?  I was meaning there's few stalls I see at other fests that I don't also see at Glastonbury.

That might be slanted a bit cos i don't tend to do oop-norf for festies, but I do (or at least did) get to festies all over the south - but there's bound to be a bit of what's local for where traders choose to go.

but have you seen them at festivals?  I was meaning there's few stalls I see at other fests that I don't also see at Glastonbury.

That might be slanted a bit cos i don't tend to do oop-norf for festies, but I do (or at least did) get to festies all over the south - but there's bound to be a bit of what's local for where traders choose to go.

No I'm thinking more places that do local street food markets. Temporary markets though where they just drive the van in. I guess sourcing produce is an extra issue for festival places though.

lol - yep. :P 

My point still stands about Rice & TIng though, about the best Jamaican food I've ever eaten.

On that note - I've never found any really good jerk or stew on site, always been pretty rubbish, even when served with authentic disdain.  Any recommendations?