McShit festivals

eFestivals

Surprises me little that McD's are dipping their toe in the festival water what with all the 'eco-conscious' awakening crap they peddle these days in an attempt to distract from the reality. Partly therefore it may be a PR stunt to go with that as much as an attempt to crack the festival scene now that the feeling is that the festivals and their punters might be generally less principled these days to care about them getting a foot in the door. Whether it sticks or the commercials add up for them in the long run is another matter, though I guess that once we've gone as far as Maccy, who else will be considered. I pray we never see festivals start to look like the clone high streets in many towns today...

13 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Call me old fashioned, but why do you need a phone at a festival? The whole point is you're lost in an oasis of the festival for a few days. I remember when you just used to say to your mate "I'll meet you at x". It's like they're inviting the idea of instagramming everything. 

I need one because I’ve left my daughter at her grandparents.

15 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Call me old fashioned, but why do you need a phone at a festival? The whole point is you're lost in an oasis of the festival for a few days. I remember when you just used to say to your mate "I'll meet you at x". It's like they're inviting the idea of instagramming everything. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Pregnant wife at home, in my case.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fair enough and needed in that case. Don't get me wrong, I take a phone I just have it switched it off all weekend as I don't need it or rarely use it. 

Nothing annoys me more than everyone holding up their phones during sets, couldn't see the bloody Killers. 

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Pregnant wife at home, in my case.

Again needed. My point was more the ones who only use their phones to film sets and post it on instagram afterwards. 

3 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

Sad current times ? 'if I don't post it, I wasn't there'

and yet...

If you do post it, you weren't there - in the same way that anyone who can remember the 60s wasn't there. :P 

(I can't remember the 60s - but I was only 4 :lol: )

Edited by eFestivals

I reckon it's my fault, well, my age group which is way older than festival goers of my youth. The 30/40/50+ are to blame. (I'm in the 50+)

Why? Because we like our creature comforts, we've done the mad things so are more than happy to watch but not participate in stupidity, we like safety, we're too old to get involved, to employed to turn up with scars. If we make it safe, the youth are encourage to be safe by all the old farts and before you know it, festivals have gone soft. The youngsters are over-parented too, and like it safe and familiar.

Yep, it's me, sorry.

1 hour ago, Chinaski_ said:

Fair enough and needed in that case. Don't get me wrong, I take a phone I just have it switched it off all weekend as I don't need it or rarely use it. 

Nothing annoys me more than everyone holding up their phones during sets, couldn't see the bloody Killers. 

I’ve been laid up in bed ill yesterday and today...been watching a lot of the BBC highlights packages from 2014-2017 and the amount of people filming sets on their phones is incredible.

when Adele comes into the crowd during her set she’s not met by waving arms enjoying the moment but people filming on their phones or trying to get a selfie with her.

sigh. 

V festival was definitely awful, shit and corporate at least ten years ago. 

Here was the Lynx Manwash from 2006: where one got covered in Lynx aftershave and hosed down by bikini clad women. I think it made its way to Reading Festival too from what I can see online. 

A few chicken nuggets in comparison isn't really the same. Since the turn of the millennium there's been crappy corporatisation of festivals, it's just made the ones that haven't kowtowed to it all the more special. 

Also some of these aren't proper festivals, they're outdoor all day gigs and they don't pretend to be anything different. 

Edited by arcade fireman

19 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

when Adele comes into the crowd during her set she’s not met by waving arms enjoying the moment but people filming on their phones or trying to get a selfie with her.

sigh.

How dare people enjoy things in different ways to me  ::shakes fist at cloud::

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

so you think McD's haven't seen festivals as an opportunity until now? Cos that would have to be the case, that this is the first time they've wanted to be involved.

I can't see that being true myself.

I don't know about that. The street food scene in the UK has exploded in the past decade. I remember going to Glastonbury in 00s and the sheer range of food options and the sort of stalls you would never see anywhere else was amazing. These days if anything Glastonbury lags a bit behind the sort of street food markets you regularly in most big cities. You have festivals like onBlackheath that put the food offering up there on the posters with the bands. Didn't even Glastonbury have a food traders announcement poster in 2017?

Ten years ago, I can imagine getting the sort of range of food Glastonbury had would have been pretty challenging. These days you'll literally be spoiled for choice. For some festivals Maccies would have filled a gap back then, or at least been a known alternative to the regular shitty burger van. These days there is really no need.

12 minutes ago, ThePlacidCasual said:

So here’s a moral dilemma to answer:

would you work for McDonalds at Glasto if it was the only way of securing a ticket and getting through the gates.  And yes I’m aware most will answer if McDonalds are there you wouldn’t want to go anymore anyway.

Where do I sign up?

14 minutes ago, ThePlacidCasual said:

would you work for McDonalds at Glasto if it was the only way of securing a ticket and getting through the gates.  And yes I’m aware most will answer if McDonalds are there you wouldn’t want to go anymore anyway.

Fuck McDonalds, I'd be manning the Monsanto Tent. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ThePlacidCasual said:

Yes.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

but they also haven't changed too. They don't (as standard*) let in the corporates.

(* yes, I'm aware there have been and still are one or two exceptions. BTW, it's worth noting that EE's presence is largely due to licencing conditions).

It's so confusing that EE* rolled back the visible presence or corporations, but the most visible corporation is EE**.

* Emily Eavis
** The mobile network

1 hour ago, ThePlacidCasual said:

100%. And I seriously doubt 'most' would not want to go because McDonalds are selling some nuggets there. There's being principled and then there's deliberately stopping yourself enjoying your life because of one. And I don't think the anti-McDonalds sentiment is anything like you (or Neil) are suggesting.

• Upvote 1