Cooler box experts - what's the best way to pack a cooler box with beer?

Glasto19

I've already looked through a bunch of threads with tips on how to make a cooler box last longer. Frozen water bottles instead of ice cubes, "pre-charge" the box, chill the cans before packing them etc.

My cooler box is only 50QT (47 litres) so it wont be able to hold all of the 60+ cans we're taking (plus ice), therefore I'm not sure how much ice to pack compared to beer.

Do fill it with 90% ice and 10% beer, then swap out the cans as I drink them? Or would it be better to start off with a smaller layer of ice but more chilled cans?

I'm probably thinking this through too much but I can't stand warm beer!

Assuming it's a decent american coolbox, igloo,coleman,etc I would cover the bottom with ice cubes to 3 or 4 inches deep then fill with your pre cooled cans, fill as full as possible then use then from the top. The top ones will be warmest but should still be nicely cool. As the ice melts in the bottom the water will still be ice cold so you can put any extra's in there to cool once the coolbox has room in it. In the meantime store them under your groundsheet at the edge of your tent/awning, that will keep them as cool as possible. Put a silver emergency blanket over the top of the coolbox to keep the sun off.

1 hour ago, Glasto19 said:

I've already looked through a bunch of threads with tips on how to make a cooler box last longer. Frozen water bottles instead of ice cubes, "pre-charge" the box, chill the cans before packing them etc.

My cooler box is only 50QT (47 litres) so it wont be able to hold all of the 60+ cans we're taking (plus ice), therefore I'm not sure how much ice to pack compared to beer.

Do fill it with 90% ice and 10% beer, then swap out the cans as I drink them? Or would it be better to start off with a smaller layer of ice but more chilled cans?

I'm probably thinking this through too much but I can't stand warm beer!

In case you didn't find this thread - it is the best..... :)