Jump to content
dentalplan

2020 Stage Predictions: What do we know? Do we know things?? Let’s find out!

Recommended Posts

On 7/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, SomeoneListeningIn said:

FRI
Py: Kendrick Lamar, Lorde, Alice Cooper, Haim, M.I.A, Sam Fender
OS: Royal Blood, Paolo Nutini, Glass Animals, Zara Larsson, Frank Carter & TRS, Of Monsters & Men
WH: Orbital, Khruangbin, Femi Kuti, Kali Uchis
JP: FKA Twigs, Mabel, Cage the Elephant, Car Seat Headrest
Pa: First Aid Kit, Ride, Sleater Kinney, Aldous Harding

SAT
Py: Fleetwood Mac, Noel Gallagher's HFB, Alicia Keys, Rag n Bone Man, Alanis Morissette, Lianne La Havas
OS: Jamie xx, J Hus, Tyler the Creator, The Libertines, Metronomy, Declan McKenna
WH: Erykah Badu, Lykke Li, Jimmy Cliff, Toots & the Maytals
JP: Bombay Bicycle Club, Nothing But Thieves, Savages, Lady Leshurr
Pa: AJ Tracey, Bicep LIVE, Sylvan Esso, Superorganism

SUN
Py: Blur, Elbow, Dua Lipa, The Kinks, Kacey Musgraves, Joan Armatrading
OS: Pet Shop Boys, Wolf Alice, Primal Scream, Grimes, Die Antwoord, Ghost
WH: Run the Jewels, Sampha, Amadou et Mariam, Danny Brown
JP: Mura Masa, Charli xcx, Headie One, Phoebe Bridgers
Pa: King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Young Fathers, Alvvays, Whitney

I think youve managed to nail on my ideal line up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

I’d quite fancy Franz Ferdinand to open the OS. They’ve done the rounds of smaller festivals lately, and have been around Europe a bit - think it’d make sense for them to return. Appeal to a similar audience to the likes of The Vaccines, Kaiser Chiefs etc who’ve done that slot in past.

It’s very strange that they haven’t played since they headlined the Other Stage a solid decade ago (FFS in 2015 doesn’t count), that slot is surely perfect for them. Maybe their ‘moment’ was still too recent for them to have become a Yer Da act like James and The Charlatans, but they’re always guaranteed to draw a big crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It’s very strange that they haven’t played since they headlined the Other Stage a solid decade ago (FFS in 2015 doesn’t count), that slot is surely perfect for them. Maybe their ‘moment’ was still too recent for them to have become a Yer Da act like James and The Charlatans, but they’re always guaranteed to draw a big crowd.

Their last album was excellent too. I’d happily see them anywhere on the lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Franz Ferdinand haven't become novelty or irrelevant yet, give them a real slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Franz Ferdinand are still a proper band. I reckon a JP headline or high other slot is right for them.

They’ve got the tunes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah Franz Ferdinand are still a proper band. I reckon a JP headline or high other slot is right for them.

They’ve got the tunes

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't think they're any more or less a 'proper band' than The Vaccines. They haven't had an album as good as The Vaccines' last one since Jamster was the bollocks.

Would rather they opened the Other and only have to compete with tribute bands and whichever polka outfit is on the West Holts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't think they're any more or less a 'proper band' than The Vaccines. They haven't had an album as good as The Vaccines' last one since Jamster was the bollocks.

Would rather they opened the Other and only have to compete with tribute bands and whichever polka outfit is on the West Holts.

I’d disagree with that. Always Ascending was excellent IMO. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't think they're any more or less a 'proper band' than The Vaccines. They haven't had an album as good as The Vaccines' last one since Jamster was the bollocks.

Would rather they opened the Other and only have to compete with tribute bands and whichever polka outfit is on the West Holts.

This is what's known in the industry as a bad take.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, priest17 said:

This is what's known in the industry as a bad take.

You still upset because you got on Wrecking Bar first and then everyone else jumped aboard? Jeeeeez that was two lifetimes ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reckon Franz would go down a storm headlining JP or high Other slot - maybe even a Park headliner at a push? Ignoring FFS, each of their records have been consistently good and Always Ascending was fantastic. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You still upset because you got on Wrecking Bar first and then everyone else jumped aboard? Jeeeeez that was two lifetimes ago.

I love The Vaccines, I've seen them like 8 times and enjoyed the new album. But their stock has been descending since their second album whereas I'd argue Franz found their level with Tonight and have stayed there, even if its just 6music dads keeping them afloat.

And I first heard Wrecking Bar on XFM so imagine I was pretty late to the party ahah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I love The Vaccines, I've seen them like 8 times and enjoyed the new album. But their stock has been descending since their second album whereas I'd argue Franz found their level with Tonight and have stayed there, even if its just 6music dads keeping them afloat.

And I first heard Wrecking Bar on XFM so imagine I was pretty late to the party ahah.

Pretty sure that The Vaccines are still bigger right now than FF given that they were, like, subbing Latitude and third down at Reading and Leeds on this latest album tour. If they can take on opening the Other Stage then so should Franz Ferdinand.

I don’t believe even the people who listened to any of the last few Franz Ferdinand albums more than the obligatory one spin would be that gleeful about a headline slot, whereas banging out the hits on Friday morning works for all.

Edited by dentalplan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Pretty sure that The Vaccines are still bigger right now than FF given that they were, like, subbing Latitude and third down at Reading and Leeds on this latest album tour. If they can take on opening the Other Stage then so should Franz Ferdinand.

I don’t believe even the people who listened to any of the last few Franz Ferdinand albums more than the obligatory one spin would be that gleeful about a headline slot, whereas banging out the hits on Friday morning works for all.

Where are FF placing at UK festivals nowadays? Can't remember seeing them on a line up recently so not too sure. They're getting decent slots abroad though - they've subbed (or played just after headliner, same thing) Mad Cool and Beni recently. Their slot at Mad Cool was the same as Kasabian's and they had a huge crowd, despite Massive Attack being scheduled (chose not to play in the end as some reading won't be aware of - not you Dental) at the same time. They also seem to have a great rep for live shows, not sure the Vaccines have the same. I would've thought opening Other would be stooping a bit low for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dare say this is why they haven’t played in 10 years.

I’ve never seen them despite growing up with those first two albums being key personal touchstones - would be delighted to put that right but I doubt they’d ever be my first choice if they were playing after 5pm, so 11am on Other works brilliantly.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Pretty sure that The Vaccines are still bigger right now than FF given that they were, like, subbing Latitude and third down at Reading and Leeds on this latest album tour. If they can take on opening the Other Stage then so should Franz Ferdinand.

I don’t believe even the people who listened to any of the last few Franz Ferdinand albums more than the obligatory one spin would be that gleeful about a headline slot, whereas banging out the hits on Friday morning works for all.

I never make it to the 11am slots that's why ahah.

Didn't Franz headline Latitude? I dunno I don't really know anyone that still listens to either of them any more. Franz are one of the few bands that have clawed their way out of that indie-debut during the guitar boom of the mid noughties and deserve respect for that. Even if they are no where near as good as, say, The Cribs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either JP headliner or about third down the Other feels right for Franz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Where are FF placing at UK festivals nowadays? Can't remember seeing them on a line up recently so not too sure. They're getting decent slots abroad though - they've subbed (or played just after headliner, same thing) Mad Cool and Beni recently. Their slot at Mad Cool was the same as Kasabian's and they had a huge crowd, despite Massive Attack being scheduled (chose not to play in the end as some reading won't be aware of - not you Dental) at the same time. They also seem to have a great rep for live shows, not sure the Vaccines have the same. I would've thought opening Other would be stooping a bit low for them.

I don’t think The Vaccines have a poor live rep, do they? Though I doubt they’ll win over the already wary among the crowd.

From the top of my head, Franz Ferdinand are subbing Elbow at YNOT and third down at Boardmasters, and they did third down at TRNSMT last summer. Not awful but they wouldn’t be ‘stooping’ to an opening slot at all.

edit: that wasn’t the top of my head - I’m not a savant

6 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Didn't Franz headline Latitude?

That was like an album after they headlined Reading. Might as well have said that. :lol:

Edited by dentalplan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t think The Vaccines have a poor live rep, do they? Though I doubt they’ll win over the already wary among the crowd.

 

I've seen the Vaccines a few times and have always enjoyed them. I actually think they did a great job with what traditionally is a very tough slot to get right. Easily the best act I've seen opening the Other, and I've ended up seeing all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

 

That was like an album after they headlined Reading. Might as well have said that. :lol:

I didn't want to make it super obvious I was talking about 11 years ago ahah.

What even makes an Other opener? Does anyone on the bill below the the pyramid have a shot? I just think (and trust me, I passed an art foundation course) Franz are too artsy fartsy to open it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I didn't want to make it super obvious I was talking about 11 years ago ahah.

What even makes an Other opener? Does anyone on the bill below the the pyramid have a shot? I just think (and trust me, I passed an art foundation course) Franz are too artsy fartsy to open it.

Tends to be an act most people have at least heard of, usually an indie band with a few guaranteed hits to get the crowd going, who are evidently not as big as they used to be.

Travis for 2020!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How high can we push The Cribs up the bill? I'm willing to concede that pyramid headliners might be a tad out their reach...

I know they're not everyones favorite but if you could just bear in mind that they are the greatest living rock band in the world right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, priest17 said:

How high can we push The Cribs up the bill? I'm willing to concede that pyramid headliners might be a tad out their reach...

I know they're not everyones favorite but if you could just bear in mind that they are the greatest living rock band in the world right now.

Didn’t even know they were still going.

They already played an early Other slot in recent times, to a pretty big crowd. Guess they could return to similar but they aren’t really enough of a thing to open the joint.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Tends to be an act most people have at least heard of, usually an indie band with a few guaranteed hits to get the crowd going, who are evidently not as big as they used to be.

You’ve just described about 60% of the main stages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I didn't want to make it super obvious I was talking about 11 years ago ahah.

What even makes an Other opener? Does anyone on the bill below the the pyramid have a shot? I just think (and trust me, I passed an art foundation course) Franz are too artsy fartsy to open it.

??????

We're talking about an Absolute Radio staple from the mid-00s NME darlings crop here, not Klaus Nomi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...