2020 Stage Predictions: What do we know? Do we know things?? Let’s find out!

dentalplan

23 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah I've had a similar vibe when the rumours for Sunday have come in. Can't remember who's rumoured for Park, but it might be SE Corner from early doors on Sunday maybe.

Park finishes early on Sunday, only reason I didn't mention it earlier. Although a headliner on there and then on to Pangea/SEC wouldn't be the end of the world at all. 

15 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

The new Caribou album is duff, sadly, so I don’t see him going up the bill in honesty.

Perhaps before Editors in the JP. Could even be 3rd or 4th.

Haha what?! It's had glowing reviews and, whilst it took me a couple of listens, I think it's a winner. 

I don't think he'll step up to headline WH but I'd put him as Park or JP headliner for sure. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

They put Bonobo and Disclosure on after The Wailers....

As legendary as they are, The Wailers weren't going to be headlining West Holts. I'm not saying that just because Isleys are an old establishment that they'll close out the stage; they've also kept themselves scarce and are playing big enough shows that there would be no quibble about them as a headliner.

17 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Re: Caribou, the vocals (never his strongest suit) are jarringly high in the mix, there’s too many ideas going on at once and is there anything close to a Can’t Do Without You, Sun, Hendrix With Ko, Mars or Odessa? I’d say there isn’t.

All subjective but I don’t see this continuing his rise. Even if some ex-raver dads in the national press are giving it 5 coffee tables out of 5 😅

Haha. The fuck is this? Some kind of "I don't like it so let's apply some random stereotype to the reviewers to validate my view"? Dude, if you don't like it then that's cool, but this ain't a great look. 

I'd agree there's no particular single that'll be as big as Can't Do Without You but as a whole this album offers a lot more than that one in my opinion. And I loved that album. 

The fact only Brixton has sold out on his tour (I think) probably demonstrates he won't step up but I'd stick by my sub WH or headline Park/JP. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

As legendary as they are, The Wailers weren't going to be headlining West Holts. I'm not saying that just because Isleys are an old establishment that they'll close out the stage; they've also kept themselves scarce and are playing big enough shows that there would be no quibble about them as a headliner.

Yeah, it does look likely based on the venues they're playing. Just gutted that after suggesting them for years I'll likely miss them.  Sod's law.

2 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Haha. The fuck is this? Some kind of "I don't like it so let's apply some random stereotype to the reviewers to validate my view"? Dude, if you don't like it then that's cool, but this ain't a great look. 

The journo in question is a fantastic writer but has dropped some clangers recently, particularly re. Norman Fuckin' Rockwell.

4 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Lmao chill out

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

logging on to defend the honour of the ex-raver dad community

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The journo in question is a fantastic writer but has dropped some clangers recently, particularly re. Norman Fuckin' Rockwell.

Which journo in question? It seemed like a blanket statement to me, but if I've misunderstood I'll retract. 

2 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Lmao chill out

Tbh I'm having a brilliantly chilled morning so 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There are probably others who fit the bill, but unless I've got the wrong end of the stick it sounds pretty like Alexis Petridis.

Ah fair enough. The Guardian, right? 

Anyway, it's clear I'm outnumbered on this so will step away. But for what it's worth from how it reads I stand by what I said.

I think this Caribou album is his best personally....

I could see him doing WH any other year, don't think hes any smaller than Jon Hopkins for example, but there seems like too much competition for that stage currently. If you believe we got Bicep on the Park one night and Orbital on JP, I'm not really sure where that leaves him. Wouldn't be surprised to see West Holts sub again.

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah, it does look likely based on the venues they're playing. Just gutted that after suggesting them for years I'll likely miss them.  Sod's law.

Yeah that would be rotten luck.

I've found you a nugget, however. They are subbing The Roots at the Love Supreme Jazz Festival so I personally am less confident than I was ten minutes ago that they'll headline the stage.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah that would be rotten luck.

I've found you a nugget, however. They are subbing The Roots at the Love Supreme Jazz Festival so I personally am less confident than I was ten minutes ago that they'll headline the stage.

At the very least it shows that they'll accept non-headline slots.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They put Bonobo and Disclosure on after The Wailers....

I wouldn't put a backing band without their singer in the same category as iconic soul legends.  But, I personally wouldn't really want to end my night with the Isley Brothers, so hope there is someone on after them. 

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Re: Caribou, the vocals (never his strongest suit) are jarringly high in the mix, there’s too many ideas going on at once and is there anything close to a Can’t Do Without You, Sun, Hendrix With Ko, Mars or Odessa? I’d say there isn’t.

I'd say Never Come Back already is... Haven't actually listened to the album yet, but i've had that track on heavy rotation since it dropped and it rescued my hopes for this album after the disappointment of Home.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I'd say Never Come Back already is... Haven't actually listened to the album yet, but i've had that track on heavy rotation since it dropped and it rescued my hopes for this album after the disappointment of Home.

Never Come Back really ain't in the leagues of those mentioned above imo

Mostly the disappointment is the drums, for me, worry how the new tunes will slot into an all band set up. Don't think it'll be very organic. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Given that there are way more ex-Isley Brothers than current participants its fair to say that they're no longer quorate either.

Fair.  But I still think there's a distinct difference - I love the Wailers, but they're not a headliner by any stretch.

From the other stage thread, someone reckons dua lipa is headlining one day. If that's the Saturday, with xcx/macca/dua maybe we should expect something a bit less straight pop on the park and wh - pfunk and floating points or something.