2020 Stage Predictions: What do we know? Do we know things?? Let’s find out!

dentalplan

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Lana Del Rey before Foals is odd. Is LDR not the bigger act?

Not suggesting LDR should headline, although they could certainly do much worse.

No I wouldn't say so. Lana just copped her first festival headline slot in this country so she'd be a less-convincing headliner choice. Would be a really impressive sub at this point and I'd love for them to take a chance on her headlining but it doesn't seem forthcoming.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No I wouldn't say so. Lana just copped her first festival headline slot in this country so she'd be a less-convincing headliner choice. Would be a really impressive sub at this point and I'd love for them to take a chance on her headlining but it doesn't seem forthcoming.

I hope she does return and sub because I’d love to see her on the 2020 lineup. I hope she doesn’t become one of those acts that because they are too big to sub too small to headline they never play again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I hope she does return and sub because I’d love to see her on the 2020 lineup. I hope she doesn’t become one of those acts that because they are too big to sub too small to headline they never play again.

That supposes that she'll never be big enough to headline. She is a modern icon and will be around and at this level for the long haul so I'm confident she'll do it one day.

To be honest, I'm kind of happy to wait for it. Not that I'd be unhappy to see her on the bill next year but it seems from reviews that her live show still has a long way to come. Taking extended periods out of her set to chat with fans in the front row and accept gifts from them is fucking death for large outdoor shows and festivals. When that gets old for her or her and we get a slick hour-forty-five of her crooning then we're in business.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That supposes that she'll never be big enough to headline. She is a modern icon and will be around and at this level for the long haul so I'm confident she'll do it one day.

To be honest, I'm kind of happy to wait for it. Not that I'd be unhappy to see her on the bill next year but it seems from reviews that her live show still has a long way to come. Taking extended periods out of her set to chat with fans in the front row and accept gifts from them is fucking death for large outdoor shows and festivals. When that gets old for her or her and we get a slick hour-forty-five of her crooning then we're in business.

(I think she will never reach that level here)

Not because I think she’s terrible. I love her. I just think there is nothing wrong with her live show, it’s that it doesn’t translate well to casual audiences or those who go to headline sets looking for bangers.

If you don’t drink the Lana kool aid you are not going to enjoy it... unfortunately. Which is why I can’t see her rising much higher than she already is.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

(I think she will never reach that level here)

Not because I think she’s terrible. I love her. I just think there is nothing wrong with her live show, it’s that it doesn’t translate well to casual audiences or those who go to headline sets looking for bangers.

If you don’t drink the Lana kool aid you are not going to enjoy it... unfortunately. Which is why I can’t see her rising much higher than she already is.

A lot to unpack in that. She has a lot of fans who like her music but aren't going to be hugging the barrier all day. I think gearing your show to 2% of the crowd is very much something wrong with the live show.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

A lot to unpack in that. She has a lot of fans who like her music but aren't going to be hugging the barrier all day. I think gearing your show to 2% of the crowd is very much something wrong with the live show.

I didn’t mean that. I meant that her live performances don’t tend to win over new fans. Her style of performing tends to go down pretty bad with those who have no idea who she is.

You hear the same critiques “she sings too quiet”, “it’s boring” , “why do all her songs sound the same”.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I didn’t mean that. I meant that her live performances don’t tend to win over new fans. Her style of performing tends to go down pretty bad with those who have no idea who she is.

You hear the same critiques “she sings too quiet”, “it’s boring” , “why do all her songs sound the same”.

Ah okay. That makes more sense, but over time I think it'll just be something people come to expect. There won't be swathes of people going to her performances searching for bangers when she's know the world over for doing her thing.

But really - FAO: anyone going to her shows in Feb - can you get her really shitty gifts to make her stop doing that nonsense? If y'all go down to CEX, buy Nutty Professor 2 on DVD and slide that into her hands when she comes down to collect her gifts, I'll match the 50p you paid in a charity donation.

17 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

FRI
Py
: Foals, Lana Del Rey, Def Leppard, Haim, AJ Tracey, Laura Marling
OS: Disclosure, Bombay Bicycle Club, Glass Animals, Mabel, Frank Carter ATR, Gerry Cinnamon
WH: The Isley Brothers, Sampha, Amadou et Mariam, Danny Brown, Sampa the Great
JP: FKA Twigs, Aitch, Headie One, Alvvays
Pa: Primal Scream, Ride, Sleater Kinney, Whitney

SAT
Py: Fleetwood Mac, Elbow, Missy Elliott, Paolo Nutini, Randy Newman, Lianne La Havas
OS: Frank Ocean, J Hus, Supergrass, Rex Orange County, Metronomy, Of Monsters & Men
WH: Orbital, Khruangbin, Bicep LIVE, Brittany Howard, Sinkane
JP: Limp Bizkit, Everything Everything, Future Islands, Angel Olsen
Pa: M.I.A, Courtney Barnett, Ezra Furman, Jpegmafia

SUN
Py: Taylor Swift, Pet Shop Boys, Dua Lipa, The Kinks, Sam Fender, Joan Armatrading
OS: Noel Gallagher's HFB, Wolf Alice, Kano, Grimes, Die Antwoord, Ghost
WH: Run the Jewels, Mahalia, Femi Kuti, Toots & the Maytals, Rapsody
JP: Mura Masa, Charli xcx, Cage the Elephant, Car Seat Headrest
Pa: King Gizzard ATLW, Bat For Lashes, Big Thief, The Big Moon

This would be my favourite lineup for decades so it clearly has no chance of being accurate.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think that'd be a desperately unfair critique to make of her live performance. Most people have heard loads of her singles so they should already know all the songs are the same.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why do you think Neil Young all of a sudden? I thought that was widely written off as a Michael fib.

Well yeah could be a Michael fib, but following the Taylor Swift news I feel like they could probably get away with booking a real heritage act. Isn’t he one of Michaels favourite artists too?

Also - while it could be Elton John I just think it’s strange that there has been nothing tying Elton to Glastonbury... really ever. I don’t think he’s ever commented on it or the festival has expressed interest in booking him. It seems a strange one to have never approached (if it is true he never has been).

Plus I feel your argument about the 1975 has swayed me a bit. Their responses to whether they have been “booked” have been a bit strange. 

Also I know we shouldn’t really put stock into what Michael says but it’s a weird thing for him to come out and say.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Well yeah could be a Michael fib, but following the Taylor Swift news I feel like they could probably get away with booking a real heritage act. Isn’t he one of Michaels favourite artists too?

Also - while it could be Elton John I just think it’s strange that there has been nothing tying Elton to Glastonbury... really ever. I don’t think he’s ever commented on it or the festival has expressed interest in booking him. It seems a strange one to have never approached (if it is true he never has).

Plus I feel your argument about the 1975 has swayed me a bit. Their responses to whether they have been “booked” have been a bit strange. 

Also I know we shouldn’t really put stock into what Michael says but it’s a weird thing for him to come out and say.

D'you just not buy the Fleetwood Mac gossip at all then? Really don't see it being Neil Young unless they're totally out of other ideas - I don't see him being booked to headline merely because he's one of Michael's favourites. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

D'you just not buy the Fleetwood Mac gossip at all then? Really don't see it being Neil Young unless they're totally out of other ideas - I don't see him being booked to headline merely because he's one of Michael's favourites. 

Nah - its too quiet and they’d surely have indicated that they are planning a tour. If they are playing just replace Neil with FM and the rest is unchanged.

Theyve been rumoured every year since I’ve been going and never shown up. I’m just not convinced sorry.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I mean manilow has June tour dates. Are the kinks even back together?

Ok, you got me...I just hate Manilow and I'm letting it cloud my judgement 

But...yes to the second part of your post. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spin.com/2019/07/the-kinks-recording-new-album-ray-davies-dave-davies%3famp=1

There's also a remix doing the rounds. 

I know it's happening cuz I was reading a post about them on here and then got in my friend's car and they were on the radio. Signs and that... As solid as Calgon "seeing" Tay by the cider bus.