2020 Stage Predictions: What do we know? Do we know things?? Let’s find out!

dentalplan

46 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I've never got into Tool before but they've always been on the list, would be a fool not to now they're streaming. Are they one of those bands I need to go through the albums from the start or is there a better place to begin? 

Or would that Tool Best songs playlist on their Spotify page suffice?

I'd probably avoid the playlists and stick with the albums.

You could go chronologically and see the evolution of the band, but I'd suggest starting with Aenima. Has the right balance of bangers (e.g. Stinkfist, 46+2) and the more "typical" TOOL epics (e.g. Pushit, Stinkfist) and a bit of weirdness inbetween. If you prefer the shorter, more metal tracks, go with Undertow next. If you prefer the longer proggy stuff, go for Lateralus. Aenima captures all sides of the band IMO.

Edited by jparx
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It’s not the best - in places it’s too strong, in others it’s too weak - but I’ve had a go with my limited musical knowledge... it isn’t finished either!

Friday 

PRY: Taylor Swift, Wolf Alice, Lorde,  Iggy Pop, Charlie XCX, The Subways, Ray Davies

OTH: Post Malone, Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes, Skepta, Gerry Cinnamon, Django Django, She Drew The Gun, Supergrass 

WH: Orbital, St. Vincent, Brockhampton, Fredo, Lykke Li, Denzel Curry 

JP: FKA Twigs, Car Seat Headrest, Greta Van Fleet, Sophie and the Giants, Kid Kapachi, Starcrawler

PARK: Thom Yorke, Metronomy, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Rodrigo Y Gabriella, Aldous Harding, Confidence Man, Whitney 

Saturday 

PRY: Elton John, Ariana Grande, Lewis Capaldi, HAIM, Snow Patrol, Belle and Sebastian, Declan McKenna

OTH: Metallica, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Lizzo, Slowthai, Feeder, Sam Fender, The Amazons

WH: Solange, The Specials, Salt N Pepa, J Hus, Grimes,Manu Chao

JP: The Black Keys, Shame, Architects, Angel Olsen, The Horrors, Black Futures, Heavy Lungs, Zuzu 

PARK: Ben Howard, Young Fathers, Fontaines DC, Rolling Costal Blackout Fever, Pip Blom, Cassia

Sunday

PRY: Fleetwood Mac, Noel Gallagher’s HFB, Dua Lipa, Spice Girls, Kacey Musgraves, Miles Kane, Dubozia Kolektiv 

OTH: Royal Blood, Clean Bandit, Weezer, Slaves, Halsey, PVRIS, The Hunna 

WH: Die Antwoord, Groove Armada, Grace Jones, AJ Tracey, Ella Mai, Theo Croker 

JP: IDLES, Chrvches, Jimmy Eat World, Hookworms, Jade Bird, Sports Team, Amyl and the Sniffers, Fuzzy Son

PARK: Elbow, Courtney Barnett, Ezra Furman, Alessia Cara, Snapped Ankles, Goat Girl, Frankie Cosmos

Edited by vintagelaureate

17 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Never going to happen but Tool on the other stage would be great.

Since they successfully headlined download this year though I can’t see them accepting lower than headline. Also, it’s Tool.

Can you imagine the folks who moaned about Radiohead and their screens? They'd have a heart attack watching a silhouette of Maynard for 90 minutes with absolutely zero banter with the crowd.

3 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

It’s not the best - in places it’s too strong, in others it’s too weak - but I’ve had a go with my limited musical knowledge... it isn’t finished either!

Friday 

PRY: Taylor Swift, Wolf Alice, Lorde,  Iggy Pop, Charlie XCX, The Subways, Ray Davies

That Friday is ridiculous. I wouldn't move from the Pyramid all the day. I'd need a picnic blanket!

4 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Friday 

OTH: Post Malone, Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes, Skepta, Gerry Cinnamon, Django Django, She Drew The Gun, Supergrass 

JP: FKA Twigs, Car Seat Headrest, Greta Van Fleet, Sophie and the Giants, Kid Kapachi, Starcrawler

PARK: Thom Yorke, Metronomy, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Rodrigo Y Gabriella, Aldous Harding, Confidence Man, Whitney 

Saturday 

PRY: Elton John, Ariana Grande, Lewis Capaldi, HAIM, Snow Patrol, Belle and Sebastian, Declan McKenna

OTH: Metallica, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Lizzo, Slowthai, Feeder, Sam Fender, The Amazons

JP: The Black Keys, Shame, Architects, Angel Olsen, The Horrors, Black Futures, Heavy Lungs, Zuzu 

PARK: Ben Howard, Young Fathers, Fontaines DC, Rolling Costal Blackout Fever, Pip Blom, Cassia

Sunday

PRY: Fleetwood Mac, Noel Gallagher’s HFB, Dua Lipa, Spice Girls, Kacey Musgraves, Miles Kane, Dubozia Kolektiv 

JP: IDLES, Chrvches, Jimmy Eat World, Hookworms, Jade Bird, Sports Team, Amyl and the Sniffers, Fuzzy Son

PARK: Elbow, Courtney Barnett, Ezra Furman, Alessia Cara, Snapped Ankles, Goat Girl, Frankie Cosmos

Some absolutely outrageous clashes there...

Elton/Metallica/Black Keys/Solange would give me nightmares for months.

Think Arianna Grande said she wasn’t touring in 2020.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Can you imagine the folks who moaned about Radiohead and their screens? They'd have a heart attack watching a silhouette of Maynard for 90 minutes with absolutely zero banter with the crowd.

There’d be about 50 people there so what’s on the screen would be irrelevant.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Have you seen US iTunes at the moment?

Fucking hilarious

A7032A2B-91B0-4F6E-89E0-19A935C09288.png

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:05 AM, vintagelaureate said:

Friday 

Saturday 

Sunday

Fair one for typing it out again after losing it ahah.

Fair bit of optimism there. I'd swap Frank and Gerry for one judging from their JP slots.

If King Gizz aren't given the rock slot they deserve I really think they should be given a headline slot somewhere. Dead in tune with the festival and have a strong following at this point. I'm probably well off with that though.

Not things that will happen but rather things that won’t:

nme bands from the mid 00s like maximo park and franz ferdinand will not be getting any form of prominent slot. The glastonbury audience has changed so much in the last few years. They can do far better taking shows at kendal, truck etc etc and not have to accept where they would realistically be at glastonbury in 2020 which is mid/low down the other or upper mid john peel.

There is no value for these acts in playing glastonbury these days i don’t think. They cant fill an academy venue half the time if its not the right part of the country. Also both of these have now changed half their line up. Mind you that never stopped bloc party. 

——

Y’all have got my hopes up that pixies will play, it would be incredible no matter what slot. One of those ones that should definitely happen but probably won’t for whatever reason.

—-

really hoping for carly rae. It would be epic. Tay tay should headline, it would be fantastic for her career and a landmark show. Beyonce was too big for it realistically when she did it but it worked so well for act, festival and crowd. It’d be the same for swifty.

Edited by Memory Man

9 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Not things that will happen but rather things that won’t:

nme bands from the mid 00s like maximo park and franz ferdinand will not be getting any form of prominent slot. The glastonbury audience has changed so much in the last few years. They can do far better taking shows at kendal, truck etc etc and not have to accept where they would realistically be at glastonbury in 2020 which is mid/low down the other or upper mid john peel.

All the shite from the landfill era and you pick out two of the best bands of that age. Neither of whom can be compared to all the other crap.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:05 AM, vintagelaureate said:

Friday 

Saturday 

Sunday

I like this loads.

But please no IDLES and FM clash. Because I'll want to go to IDLES and then have to explain my decision to everyone for the rest of my life!

Edited by Sasperella

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

I just don't see The Black Keys going from subbing pyramid to headlining JP. Granted I don't think they'll step up, but not down either. 

Although maybe I'm projecting my thoughts on them too much. 

IMO they've sunk massively here since their 2014 set (which was a bit naff anyway!), new album hasn't really made an impact so if they were gonna headline a stage it would be JP I reckon 

28 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

IMO they've sunk massively here since their 2014 set (which was a bit naff anyway!), new album hasn't really made an impact so if they were gonna headline a stage it would be JP I reckon 

I enjoyed that set, but maybe I just compare it to the god awful Jack White set from the day before. 

I'll agree the new album hasn't made much of an impact though (despite a couple of big tunes). It will be interesting to see what venues they play when they tour, and that may give us a clue. 

28 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I enjoyed that set, but maybe I just compare it to the god awful Jack White set from the day before. 

I watched the first half, thought it was boring then my missus at the time dragged me off to watch Ellie Goulding. Shame as I really enjoyed El Camino but they just didn't catch me live 

27 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Tool were great at download but can't imagine they would agree to glastonbury. Even if they did I doubt they would agree to it being filmed for BBC, would love to see it happen though

It’s a shame because they are releasing a new album and I’d love to catch them at a festival next summer. I can’t really think where else they could play other than download though! Not really sure if I’d like to fork out money for their own shows