Driving to the east gates from Premier Inn Glastonbury

Hi folks, 

My group are trying a new tactic this year; rather than joining the queue late Tues night (and also to avoid any possible repeat nightmare from 2016!) we will be staying Tue night at Premier Inn Glasto and heading towards the east gate around Wed 5am.

This plan has been somewhat complicated after reading that A361 will be closed from 00:01 Wednesday - thank you very much to the person who posted a link to the local councils road closure list, I poured over it obsessively ?

So my concern now is how best to approach the east gate after the simplest route is closed. I'd greatly appreciate the input of anyone with local knowledge, as well those with a plethora of Glasto's under their belt.

I have two formulated two plans.

The first is to head south from the Premier Inn on the B3151 and to travel underneath the southern side of the festival to approach the east gate by heading north on A37. I am wondering how the roads of Reynald's Way heading through Kingweston and Keinton Mandeville to join the A37 will be?

image.png.85b25d9851eea4a1b7f7fbb0f993e194.png

The second plan is to head north on the A39 away from the festival and then head east along the A371, taking a route down the smaller roads of Shepton Old Road, Old Wells Road and Ridge Lane, to finally join up with the A37 and heading south towards the east gates.

image.png.8aa6e67a846cd7617314196b033130e1.png

Thanks ?

1 hour ago, EasyUserName said:

Where is the A361 being shut (specifically)?

The thread below kindly supplied a link to Temporary Traffic Restrictions from Somerset County council.

http://www.somerset.gov.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=136791&type=full&servicetype=Attachment

On page 5, Schedule 2, section 1d and 2b I interpreted that the A361 will be closed at the section highlighted below, so travelling along the A361 (starting at Premier Inn Glasto) towards the A37 will require alternative plans.

image.thumb.png.fb1cc227e0db5b9d0aa051b6a111a089.png

Am I misinterpreting it? I do hope somebody can ease my fears.

17 minutes ago, OneBigNeckWithSausageHands said:

The thread below kindly supplied a link to Temporary Traffic Restrictions from Somerset County council.

http://www.somerset.gov.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=136791&type=full&servicetype=Attachment

On page 5, Schedule 2, section 1d and 2b I interpreted that the A361 will be closed at the section highlighted below, so travelling along the A361 (starting at Premier Inn Glasto) towards the A37 will require alternative plans.

image.thumb.png.fb1cc227e0db5b9d0aa051b6a111a089.png

Am I misinterpreting it? I do hope somebody can ease my fears.

Ah, I see what you mean.  Yes, then, you can't reach the East side by going through Pilton.  The closure isn't actually in Pilton, but it is from the A37 to the B3136 (which is a road from Shepton, and ends at the Right-edge of Pilton, straight opposite the lane that feeds directly to the farm itself.  I suspect it will be restricted access around there. 

If you are using a satnav, put Wraxall in.  You can cut across from West Pennard that way.  I did this in 2017 when I went to campervan East, coming from Glastonbury. 

7 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Ah, I see what you mean.  Yes, then, you can't reach the East side by going through Pilton.  The closure isn't actually in Pilton, but it is from the A37 to the B3136 (which is a road from Shepton, and ends at the Right-edge of Pilton, straight opposite the lane that feeds directly to the farm itself.  I suspect it will be restricted access around there. 

If you are using a satnav, put Wraxall in.  You can cut across from West Pennard that way.  I did this in 2017 when I went to campervan East, coming from Glastonbury. 

WONDERFUL!

Thank you very much, my friend ?

Ok....in essence you are correct....however you won't be able to go West -> East carparks through Pilton after 0800 on Monday due to Schedule 7 para 1 prohibiting a right turn from A361 onto A37 rather than the restriction you quote at Schedule 2 Section 1d, which does not come into force until 0600 Sunday 30th.

Schedule 2 para 2b is essentially the same thing in reverse....no right turn East -> West from A37 onto A361 from 0001 Tuesday 25th. 

Either of the other options would work for you....as would the shortcut @EasyUserName suggests, but be aware you may sit in traffic on the A361 heading East before you get to West Pennard.

You can’t turn right either from the A361 onto the A37. Think the bottom route suggested is better as theoretically you don’t get caught in traffic from the North/Bristol.  They usually get cars off the A37 quite quickly (though admittedly haven’t done it this way for a few years).

Edited by Sara_out_west
Cross posted with @parsonjack!

41 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Ok....in essence you are correct....however you won't be able to go West -> East carparks through Pilton after 0800 on Monday due to Schedule 7 para 1 prohibiting a right turn from A361 onto A37 rather than the restriction you quote at Schedule 2 Section 1d, which does not come into force until 0600 Sunday 30th.

Schedule 2 para 2b is essentially the same thing in reverse....no right turn East -> West from A37 onto A361 from 0001 Tuesday 25th. 

Either of the other options would work for you....as would the shortcut @EasyUserName suggests, but be aware you may sit in traffic on the A361 heading East before you get to West Pennard.

Fair point (about the A361 traffic).  You could try this route below (but you'd need to make sure you knew where you were going as I doubt a SatNav would plot it).  It would avoid most of the traffic until you got back on the A37 at "The Elms"

image.thumb.png.195e5a68d9ff67497be17e1270901444.png

12 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Fair point (about the A361 traffic).  You could try this route below (but you'd need to make sure you knew where you were going as I doubt a SatNav would plot it).  It would avoid most of the traffic until you got back on the A37 at "The Elms"

image.thumb.png.195e5a68d9ff67497be17e1270901444.png

Thank you, everybody, for you responses ?

I intend to charter a route similar to, if not this exact one. The sooner the better that I can get off the A361 to avoid queuing with those who want access to Pink, Orange and Yellow car parks.

Many individual pins now being dropped in to my Google Maps to make the journey seamless ?