Wellies/Walking boots

thew2002

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Wellies. Always wellies. And this is good advice. Even the best walking boots get overawed by the deep mud/puddles in my experience. they are more comfy for the long walks, but not if your socks are wet....

That's why you wear gaiters. If it was walking boots without gaiters versus wellies, then wellies would be a shout. Calf high water, wellies get overawed. Gaiters do not. Simple top trumps logic.

3 hours ago, JohnEW52 said:

I have always volunteered with WaterAid and mostly have looked after the pit latrines/compost toilets in King’s Meadow so have needed to wear wellies on shift even on hot sunny days. But I’m a farmer’s son and used to wearing a good quality pair.

This is a solid loophole. 

48 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

That's the attitude

General Melchett:
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

Funny, this is how I see the people who persistently ignore the fact that walking boots are vastly more suitable, comfortable & supportive for 5 days of walking & dancing than knee high rubber boots, whose sole superior quality - allowing for wading through deepish water - is both irrelevant to 9/10 Glastos, and actually something they’re not as good for as walking boots with gaiters.

4 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Funny, this is how I see the people who persistently ignore the fact that walking boots are vastly more suitable, comfortable & supportive for 5 days of walking & dancing than knee high rubber boots, whose sole superior quality - allowing for wading through deepish water - is both irrelevant to 9/10 Glastos, and actually something they’re not as good for as walking boots with gaiters.

Less hassle than gaiters though.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Not weird at all. Just that there is no situation where the act of wearing a pair of wellies is better than walking boots and gaiters. Unless it's a welly only dress code. The only genuine logic to wear wellies is financial, which is understandable. 

If I was the sort to snigger I'd have kept quiet to wait for people to moan about blisters, sweaty legs and rubbing...

Just to be clear: I'm not taking issue with you for preferring walking boots.  I'm taking issue with your for thinking there's a one-size-fits-all solution when there isn't.  Imagine you could wear bog-standard wellies all day without sweaty feet, sore feet, blisters,  or any other problems.  Welcome to my world.  There are a lot of others on here who apparently are the same.  Neither 'camp' is lying about their experiences - they're just different people with different feet.  You can't give reliable advice to strangers on forums if your mental model is 'everyone must be the same as me.'

If someone, like me, has extensively tested both alternatives and has come to their own conclusions about when I prefer to use either option, then you're going to have to do some pretty nifty typing to persuade me that I've got it wrong.  That said, there has been some pretty nifty typing going on in this thread - one page back I actually saw someone attempting to argue that the humble, shapeless, tenner-off-the-market, same-thing-sewage-workers-wear, (etc.) welly is only being worn as a status symbol by the Instagram generation.  If you can convince the world of that, you ought to be out selling asbestos to asthmatics.

3 hours ago, Superscally said:

Calf high water, wellies get overawed. Gaiters do not. Simple top trumps logic.

I've always ended up with the water just gushing into them through the bottom in that situation - outside of the full nuclear yeti gaiter type thing and screw that. Maybe I just need bigger feet to get a seal

8 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Just to be clear: I'm not taking issue with you for preferring walking boots.  I'm taking issue with your for thinking there's a one-size-fits-all solution when there isn't.  Imagine you could wear bog-standard wellies all day without sweaty feet, sore feet, blisters,  or any other problems.  Welcome to my world.  There are a lot of others on here who apparently are the same.  Neither 'camp' is lying about their experiences - they're just different people with different feet.  You can't give reliable advice to strangers on forums if your mental model is 'everyone must be the same as me.'

If someone, like me, has extensively tested both alternatives and has come to their own conclusions about when I prefer to use either option, then you're going to have to do some pretty nifty typing to persuade me that I've got it wrong.  That said, there has been some pretty nifty typing going on in this thread - one page back I actually saw someone attempting to argue that the humble, shapeless, tenner-off-the-market, same-thing-sewage-workers-wear, (etc.) welly is only being worn as a status symbol by the Instagram generation.  If you can convince the world of that, you ought to be out selling asbestos to asthmatics.

You must have feet made of asbestos. Most people don't. If someone is asking for advice on what to wear, it's best that you don't consider outliers like yourself and consider them to be an average person. If it's wet and that someone is in wellies all weekend, their feet will suffer. I'm not even using myself as an example, but out group, which was about 40 strong in 2016. About 75% wore wellies. The next year only about two people brought them, because their feet or calves took the knock.

6 hours ago, frostypaw said:

I've always ended up with the water just gushing into them through the bottom in that situation - outside of the full nuclear yeti gaiter type thing and screw that. Maybe I just need bigger feet to get a seal

That's strange, I've just got normal trespass ones. I think the key is to not wade straight into a puddle. Once there's a layer of mud around the bottom, you're fine and dandy.

In terms of wellies for me there is a big difference between brands and fit. Had some Dunlop ones once from B and Q which left me in a terrible state after 3 days of usage. Upgraded to some more expensive ones from Blacks which are made by lowther and could shuffle about in these all day with no issues whatsoever. Certainly worth paying the extra money for. Having said that I do have a nice pair of walking shoes rather than boots so may investigate these gaiters.

24 minutes ago, Superscally said:

You must have feet made of asbestos. Most people don't. If someone is asking for advice on what to wear, it's best that you don't consider outliers like yourself and consider them to be an average person. If it's wet and that someone is in wellies all weekend, their feet will suffer. I'm not even using myself as an example, but out group, which was about 40 strong in 2016. About 75% wore wellies. The next year only about two people brought them, because their feet or calves took the knock

Though the true scientist in me realises that it's how many return to wellies or remain in walking boots this year that's the key...

It comes down to what people can be arsed with I guess. If you've had experience of wellies for five solid days and your feet were fine, then feel free to continue. It's like telling someone who's very happy with their Dacia Sandero that they NEED to have a Mercedes to be happier. If they're happy as it is, that's cool. I can tell you though that if you can get walking boots, the chances are that the vast majority of people would be happier with the boots and the Mercedes. 

For the record I drive a 2001 Polo! ?

9 minutes ago, rubenz said:

In terms of wellies for me there is a big difference between brands and fit. Had some Dunlop ones once from B and Q which left me in a terrible state after 3 days of usage. Upgraded to some more expensive ones from Blacks which are made by lowther and could shuffle about in these all day with no issues whatsoever. Certainly worth paying the extra money for. Having said that I do have a nice pair of walking shoes rather than boots so may investigate these gaiters.

Fair play! The good thing about gaiters is the versatility. Full blown 2016 mud, wellies and gaiters perform well at keeping mud out. Boots likely more comfy. When it got full sticky/crusty, boots are better and no need for gaiters. Legs can breathe!

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

If you've had experience of wellies for five solid days and your feet were fine, then feel free to continue. It's like telling someone who's very happy with their Dacia Sandero that they NEED to have a Mercedes to be happier. If they're happy as it is, that's cool.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

21 hours ago, Bennykill said:

i bought these recently (although from Sports Direct as they were half the price).  have been wearing them everyday for work to make sure they are comfortable, and from the very start they have been like wearing a pair of trainers.  done a few muddy treks with them without incident.  the idea of wearing wellies for any long period of time horrifies me, after a few hours my feet are in bits.  will have the trusty Dunlops in the car in case, but cant think of a circumstance the walking boots wont be more than enough

You win this forum. Bought these from Sports Direct and wore them into work today, seem good so far! Going to go without the wellies and pray for decent weather

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CeriG said:

I hate wearing wellies.... obviously I'll pack some in case we have a huge downpour.... but id rather wear my docs.

Has anyone worn their dogs in mud and a little rain? Did they do the job and stay waterproof?

Can I make it clear that I don't intend to wear dogs on my feet ?