Wellies/Walking boots

thew2002

1 minute ago, Robofish said:

I second the recommendation of Salomon's. Have survived two very muddy festivals (G16 & KC16) and have appeared as-new from the washing machine. They are comfortable, require little breaking in, and do not (like wellies) get sucked of your feet by the gluey mud that sometimes appears at Glastonbury. 

In a flood or really really liquid mud, wellies win. But I don't think we're gonna get that much rain.

And because of the way they are laced, you have quite a lot of flexibility to essentially 'sculpt' the boot to your foot shape to prevent any chafing.  I think it was @5co77ie who recommended them back in 2016?

• Like 1

I'm firmly in the walking boots camp. If you're going to spend five days covering tens of kilometers and spending most of your time on your feet there's no doubt that they're the best for your feet. I didn't have a problem in 2016 with all of the mud, casually strolling past people whose wellies were getting stuck in the mud and coming off of their feet. 

That said though, I didn't look after a previous pair and in 2014 one split at the festival on the side near where they bend between the toe and foot. I couldn't work out why my foot kept getting wet until I cleaned them and saw the issue. I ended up sucking it up (by Sunday the site was a lot better and it stopped being an issue), I just got through a lot of socks that weekend. 

Walking boots until it's biblical. It's very rare they're not a better idea than trainers at any Glastonbury.

But seriously just get some wellies they're a normal everyday item. Fishing stores will have the neoprene topped ones which don't rub holes in your legs.

i bought these recently (although from Sports Direct as they were half the price).  have been wearing them everyday for work to make sure they are comfortable, and from the very start they have been like wearing a pair of trainers.  done a few muddy treks with them without incident.  the idea of wearing wellies for any long period of time horrifies me, after a few hours my feet are in bits.  will have the trusty Dunlops in the car in case, but cant think of a circumstance the walking boots wont be more than enough

Gortex train shoe type things and wellies, though wellies turn on you once the sun has set and you end up with damp feet and socks from sweating--I usually try to counteract this by changing my socks before wandering out into the night

I usually bring wellies but I noticed at the weekend that I've worn through the fabric inner of them. They're Hunters so quite spenny, wondering if anyone has any hacks/tips for smoothing over the fabric? Thought about compeed plasters but wonder if tape would suffice?

Sorry for brief hijack.

Doctor Martens (or Doctor Martins - I’m never sure which one is for dogs) and gel insoles for me. I hate wearing wellies. Tightly laced DMs saw me through 2005, 2007 and 2016. However if there’s only a bit of wetness I wear trail running shoes, Adidas Kanadia, together with wicking trail socks - Hilly Ultras. 

This year I hope to wear horsehair winklepickers or suede crepes - because there wont be any rain. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

I'm firmly in the walking boots camp. If you're going to spend five days covering tens of kilometers and spending most of your time on your feet there's no doubt that they're the best for your feet. I didn't have a problem in 2016 with all of the mud, casually strolling past people whose wellies were getting stuck in the mud and coming off of their feet. 

Very much this, my boots survived 2016 fine, I just judiciously avoided the absolute worst of the mud.

2017 I spent the entire festival in an old pair of Adidas Dragons, but that was an absolute special case

4 hours ago, rosieangel said:

I usually bring wellies but I noticed at the weekend that I've worn through the fabric inner of them. They're Hunters so quite spenny, wondering if anyone has any hacks/tips for smoothing over the fabric? Thought about compeed plasters but wonder if tape would suffice?

Sorry for brief hijack.

"Profoot Moleskin Comfort Padding"  from amazon is probably the best thing for this. 

Amazon incorrectly sent me 4 big packets of it instead of what I had actually ordered earlier in the year, they didn't want it back. It has come in useful for a couple of things since,  but I pretty much have a lifetime supply of the stuff now. 

It is pretty inexpensive anyway,  but drop me a PM if you want me to post you some. ?

7 hours ago, thew2002 said:

Based on the recent forecasts I am resigning myself to some rain before/during the festival... I have only been once in 2017 so never bought any wellies.

Please could you anyone recommend some decent wellies or walking boots to buy online that have served you well? I need to decide if walking boots will be able to decide the level of mud we will get over the next few days, or whether wellies will be essential...

Thanks a lot!

Wellies are never essential. Walking boots and gaiters. Wellies are the noobs mistake, or someone who wants to have good instagram pics in their hunters and denim hotpants. Male or female :D

Qualifications: Been to every bad wet one in the 21st century including the mega flood of 2005, the quagmire of 2007 and the hilarity that was 2016.

Also the thuing about needing to break walking boots in is a load of shit these days. Same with running shoes. You can but a new pair before the London Mrathon etc and use them the next day - that's what the pros do. If you get an old style pair of leather ones, then yeh, need breaking in. Any of the newer synthetic ones will be absolutely fine. Anyone who is pro-welly has never done walking boots and gaiters.

• Upvote 1

I have similar qualifications to you Superscally (missed 2016 with a knee injury) and now always just take sandals and wellies. I have a very comfortable pair of wellies which I can manage to wear all the time if needed, although it’s only happened once, in 2007. I can remember seeing some very sad people with boots that year, although probably not with gaiters.

I have always volunteered with WaterAid and mostly have looked after the pit latrines/compost toilets in King’s Meadow so have needed to wear wellies on shift even on hot sunny days. But I’m a farmer’s son and used to wearing a good quality pair.

26 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Anyone who is pro-welly has never done walking boots and gaiters.

Incorrect, but mainly just a bit weird. Why do people take it as a personal affront that someone is happy with different footwear to them? Do they also hang around fruit shops sniggering with their mate (sic) because some 'noob' has brought an orange instead of a grapefruit?

• Upvote 1

After years of getting my feet bashed up in cheap Dunlop wellies, I invested in a pair of Aigle Wellies a few years back. Combined with a cheap gel sole they have got me through the muddiest of festivals (2016)in relative comfort! They are in the higher price bracket (between £50 - £100 on Amazon) but worth it!

7 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Walking boots until it's biblical. It's very rare they're not a better idea than trainers at any Glastonbury.

But seriously just get some wellies they're a normal everyday item. Fishing stores will have the neoprene topped ones which don't rub holes in your legs.

Wellies. Always wellies. And this is good advice. Even the best walking boots get overawed by the deep mud/puddles in my experience. they are more comfy for the long walks, but not if your socks are wet....

2 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Incorrect, but mainly just a bit weird. Why do people take it as a personal affront that someone is happy with different footwear to them? Do they also hang around fruit shops sniggering with their mate (sic) because some 'noob' has brought an orange instead of a grapefruit?

Not weird at all. Just that there is no situation where the act of wearing a pair of wellies is better than walking boots and gaiters. Unless it's a welly only dress code. The only genuine logic to wear wellies is financial, which is understandable. 

If I was the sort to snigger I'd have kept quiet to wait for people to moan about blisters, sweaty legs and rubbing...