Wellies/Walking boots

thew2002

Based on the recent forecasts I am resigning myself to some rain before/during the festival... I have only been once in 2017 so never bought any wellies.

Please could you anyone recommend some decent wellies or walking boots to buy online that have served you well? I need to decide if walking boots will be able to decide the level of mud we will get over the next few days, or whether wellies will be essential...

Thanks a lot!

I got these recently  - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh100-mid-mens-waterproof-walking-boots-grey-orange-id_8369974.html and some sealskinz socks so I'm fairly confident that between the two, my feet shall be dry and cope with whatever weather is thrown at us.

Regarding weather / mud.  At this stage a repeat of 2016 is looking unlikely.  We have not had the same levels of rain this year or in the run up.  Miraculously, the site appeared to have dodged the bigger downpours of early June and shouldn't get that much rain at all for the next week

The week of the festival is still very much up in the air though, there's a bit of rain forecast most days  so there's the potential for it to be a little muddy.  It comes down to personal preference more than anything.  Walking boots cover you for most ground conditions but a decent pair can be expensive. Wellies are cheaper but generally not as comfortable. 

Plus, you'll need to break a new pair of walking boots in so bear that in mind as well!

It's very strongly pointing at walking boots territory - you need a lot lot lot of water to be needing wellies - 2016 was definitely suited to walking boots, because it was thick mud rather than lots of standing water.

I'm on my second pair of Salomon boots - they're a bit pricey, but will last you. They're good boots.

I'm not taking wellies. I just cannot tolerate wellies for more than a short walk, and they offer zero support for my ankle either.

I will, however, be vigorously re-proofing my boots this week! If there's water too deep to wade through I'll walk round.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

I prefer walking boots but it's a bit late now to break them in. If you buy wellies buy them in the big side and wear thick socks. If you are wearing them with shorts wear long socks to avoid chafing. Anyway it's going to be sunny.

Edited by baggienick68
  • Upvote 1

I’m taking both and keeping my wellies in the car just in case my boots rub me too much or all hell breaks lose weather wise, which it won’t, but just in case  

Anyone have any advice for boots rubbing the heels of your feet, slightly higher and to the side of my heel to be exact! Already wore them quite a lot so should be fine, just seem to give me blisters when I wear them all day at a festival 

After my feet getting chopped up by cheap wellies in my first year, I invested in Hunters. Best thing I ever did. Sizing was way off so ended up taking a size down but I've used them every year, surprisingly comfortable.. as far as wellies go.

• Upvote 1

I'm a wellies fan myself. Get yourself some gel insoles (Either online or your local supermarket should sell them) and they're pretty comfortable. I don't like walking boots as I find them annoying to put on/ take off and I like the fact wellies go higher up your leg. 

Brave to go without wellies to any festival though, even 2017! 

25 minutes ago, whateverworksout said:

I’m taking both and keeping my wellies in the car just in case my boots rub me too much or all hell breaks lose weather wise, which it won’t, but just in case  

Anyone have any advice for boots rubbing the heels of your feet, slightly higher and to the side of my heel to be exact! Already wore them quite a lot so should be fine, just seem to give me blisters when I wear them all day at a festival 

It sounds like they don't quite fit.  You might be able to get a snugger fit with lacing strategies, but hard to tell without seeing the boots.

EDIT: But your best bet is probably some thicker socks.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

After my feet getting chopped up by cheap wellies in my first year, I invested in Hunters. Best thing I ever did. Sizing was way off so ended up taking a size down but I've used them every year, surprisingly comfortable.. as far as wellies go.

Same! Mine have lasted years and are still mega comfortable. The only time I don’t favour wellies is when it’s really sunny - mine felt like they were melting into my legs during Paul Simon’s set in 2011

Just now, kevbizarre said:

Taking both here too - annoyingly my Merrell walking boots are a bit small with thick socks on (as I bought them online in a sale years ago) so get painful towards the end of the day. 

So definitely try in a shop if you can if you do buy before 

Agreed on trying them on - everyone has slightly different shaped feet, so it's very hard to tell which boots will suit you without trying them.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's very strongly pointing at walking boots territory - you need a lot lot lot of water to be needing wellies - 2016 was definitely suited to walking boots, because it was thick mud rather than lots of standing water.

I'm on my second pair of Salomon boots - they're a bit pricey, but will last you. They're good boots.

I second the recommendation of Salomon's. Have survived two very muddy festivals (G16 & KC16) and have appeared as-new from the washing machine. They are comfortable, require little breaking in, and do not (like wellies) get sucked of your feet by the gluey mud that sometimes appears at Glastonbury. 

In a flood or really really liquid mud, wellies win. But I don't think we're gonna get that much rain.