Mainstream Dance

Rob0510

The thing I love about Glastonbury is their variety, it’s huge. I’m so surprised that for the dance fans around there isn’t a chain smokers, marshmallow, Calvin Harris and Eric prydz etc set. Would be a must see for a lot of Dance fans and just keeps the variety strong across all genres.  I’m concerned that the current Glastonbury producer team don’t have the ability to source these big acts.

• Downvote 4

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

Bit gutted they couldn't find space for The Colonel after his successful show at Ultra.

Image result for kfc dj ultra

The day glasto play for KFC holograms I'm not going anymore ?

I am sure if they wanted to play and wouldn't mind taking a hit on their fee , then they would play. 

but it is simple economics play Glastonbury for a qtr of your fee play anywhere else get the full amount.  I know what I would do. Looking at it from their point it is work. you go where they pay you what you think you are worth 

2 hours ago, Rob0510 said:

The thing I love about Glastonbury is their variety, it’s huge. I’m so surprised that for the dance fans around there isn’t a chain smokers, marshmallow, Calvin Harris and Eric prydz etc set. Would be a must see for a lot of Dance fans and just keeps the variety strong across all genres.  I’m concerned that the current Glastonbury producer team don’t have the ability to source these big acts.

Faithless DJ set might be worth a look - probably the closest you'll get (big trancey bangers).

7 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Who cares how much difficulty you’re putting the performer through though? I never understand this argument. 

Each to their own:

Although, if they are claiming to be DJIng, maybe they should be doing some actual DJing? As far as I can gather, most of the EDM guys are producers (fair enough), but they claim to DJ and then just turn up to clap along to a prerecorded soundtrack. Which is'n't DJing (hence 'what's he fucking doing' from The Prodigy/matey from Sleaford Mods).

4 minutes ago, Rob0510 said:

What day, time and stage! Keen for that! 

Straight after the Chems finish in The Glade, so just before midnight I think. It's Sister Bliss DJing. Darren Emerson (used to be in Underworld, apologies if that's patronising) is on straight after that too.

25 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Who cares how much difficulty you’re putting the performer through though? I never understand this argument. 

It's not about putting the performer through any 'difficulty', it's the performer passing off the 'performance' as something it's not, and there's a dishonesty to that that should be called out.

At least Deadmau5 had the decency to be honest about what was going on on stage.

I’d consider Carl Cox, Annie Mac and Fatboy Slim to be mainstream. I’d say the reason the acts you named don’t play is because they won’t take Glasto’s lower fee. But most of them are crap really so it’s probably best to not waste loads of the budget on them. I’d rather they booked 5 good DJs instead of one Calvin Harris 

Edited by Madyaker

Not saying some of these people haven't worked hard to get where they are today, just look at what Aviici went through for example, but as someone who enjoys good technical non-beat-synced DJ skills, some of these guys putting on a 'show' can be painful to watch. A lot of it is down to not wanting to make a mistake when you're now such high profile (not that half the crowd would notice when it happens) but I believe the road to perfection has eliminated the desire to give a shit about putting any effort in, giving more time to dance about behind the decks to hype up the crowd.

I'm sure there's a crowd for it there but there's many people about who can do just as good job and be given the stage to provide essentially the same service to the people at less expense to the festival. It's what I love so much about festivals being able to provide up and coming DJs a platform to showcase their skills to a large crowd.

I find it an absolute pleasure to watch someone going the extra mile on the decks, aurally providing the goods rather than standing on a table throwing a cake into someone's face.

13 minutes ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

Not saying some of these people haven't worked hard to get where they are today, just look at what Aviici went through for example, but as someone who enjoys good technical non-beat-synced DJ skills, some of these guys putting on a 'show' can be painful to watch. A lot of it is down to not wanting to make a mistake when you're now such high profile (not that half the crowd would notice when it happens) but I believe the road to perfection has eliminated the desire to give a shit about putting any effort in, giving more time to dance about behind the decks to hype up the crowd.

I'm sure there's a crowd for it there but there's many people about who can do just as good job and be given the stage to provide essentially the same service to the people at less expense to the festival. It's what I love so much about festivals being able to provide up and coming DJs a platform to showcase their skills to a large crowd.

I find it an absolute pleasure to watch someone going the extra mile on the decks, aurally providing the goods rather than standing on a table throwing a cake into someone's face.

I got a free ticket to V once and went to see Steve Angello (it was either that or Beyonce) and quite enjoyed it for what it was. I got the impression, though, that it must be for the light show, which was totally synched to the music (which you couldn't do with a 'proper' DJ set).

Also, I thought a lot of them were producers but not DJs, who still wanted to pick up the big bucks for DJ sets (see also, Peter Hook - who is such a good DJ he doesn't even require headphones!).

Edited by Homer

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I got a free ticket to v once and went to see Steve Angello (it was either that or Beyonce) and quite enjoyed it for what it was. I got the impression, though, that it must be for the light show, which was totally synched to the music (which you couldn't do with a proper DJ set).

More than likely pre-mixed although there is software and mixers out there that can do both. DJ Yoda been doing it for years

23 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I’d consider Carl Cox, Annie Mac and Fatboy Slim to be mainstream. I’d say the reason the acts you named don’t play is because they won’t take Glasto’s lower fee. But most of them are crap really so it’s probably best to not waste loads of the budget on them. I’d rather they booked 5 good DJs instead of one Calvin Harris 

I'm kind of assuming Carl Cox will play some fairly hard techno on Arcadia?

4 minutes ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

More than likely pre-mixed although there is software and mixers out there that can do both. DJ Yoda been doing it for years

How does Yoda do it then? Have wondered that before. He's clearly got a lot of talent, but the rate he switches tunes is insane. Is he essentially scratching over a pre-record?

I'm afraid my 'in-depth' knowledge ends at vinyl and mixers (though I still get that the general principe should be the same, bar some will cheat when it comes to beat matching by hitting a synch button with MP3s).

Edited by Homer

1 minute ago, Homer said:

How does Yoda do it then? Have wondered that before? He's clearly got a lot of talent, but the rate he switches tunes as is insane.

I'm afraid my 'in-depth' knowledge ends at vinyl and mixers (though I still get that the general principe should be the same, bar some will cheat when it comes to beat matching by hitting a synch button with MP3s).

As far as I know back in the day he literally mixed DVDs (audio and video tracks in one that he'd pre-edited beforehand). Top of the range Pioneers have had this ability for some years now, they have both an audio and video output on them and monitor screens in the booth. Unsure if he still does that now or if hiss hardware set up has changed over the years. I'd say its more than the case though.

4 minutes ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

As far as I know back in the day he literally mixed DVDs (audio and video tracks in one that he'd pre-edited beforehand). Top of the range Pioneers have had this ability for some years now, they have both an audio and video output on them and monitor screens in the booth. Unsure if he still does that now or if hiss hardware set up has changed over the years. I'd say its more than the case though.

He has several different set-ups these days: DJ, VJ and his live band Cooking thing. Pretty confident if you gave him a pair of 1210s and a mixer, he could still do a job though!