Mainstream Dance

Rob0510

Dj’s sets are synced to the production. Much the same as the live bands on any other stage.

There there because there’s a new album or track by that particular artist. Just like any band with a new album.

Most of the hard work has already been done in the studio.

The days of dj’s taking to the stage and playing someone else’s tunes is long over.

6 minutes ago, Vulpes vulpes said:

Dj’s sets are synced to the production. Much the same as the live bands on any other stage.

There there because there’s a new album or track by that particular artist. Just like any band with a new album.

The days of dj’s taking to the stage and playing someone else’s tunes is long over.

Plenty of DJs still play other people's tracks. Or has, say, Annie Mac had a long and prolific production career that has completely passed me by?

I went to Shindig last month and most of the DJs (mainly of the older school) were just dropping anthem after anthem (it's that kind of place!).

Edited by Homer

7 minutes ago, Vulpes vulpes said:

They really aren’t. 

I don't know how many DJs really use the "beat sync" button as it's not actually that helpful for beat matching - it won't sync up both tracks to the ONE of the beat, so it doesn't have much value for that purpose.

What is IS very useful for, is if you want to change up the BPM. By linking the slave track to the master track using beat sync, when you move the BPM slider, both tracks will speed up/slow down in sync with each other. 

Personally that's what I feel that button was designed for, as beat matching needs to be done with your ears to ensure you're lining the sections up properly.

Edited by Skoo
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skoo said:

I don't know how many DJs really use the "beat synch" button as it's not actually that helpful for beat matching - it won't synch up both tracks to the ONE of the beat, so it doesn't have much value for that purpose.

What is IS very useful for, is if you want to change up the BPM. By linking the slave track to the master track using beat synch, when you move the BPM slider, both tracks will speed up/slow down in synch with each other. 

Personally that's what I feel that button was designed for, as beat matching needs to be done with your ears to ensure you're lining the sections up properly.

Thanks for the explain, I've only ever mixed on vinyl (couldn't even be bothered with CDs).

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Thanks for the explain, I've only ever mixed on vinyl (couldn't even be bothered with CDs).

Ah, you're a "proper" DJ then :) I've only used CDJs and wouldn't know where to start on vinyl!

26 minutes ago, Vulpes vulpes said:

yeah, you're right. assuming you're ignoring 99.9% of DJs and are only talking about the ones that release no.1 albums and collaborate with rappers and the like. ?

40 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I don't know how many DJs really use the "beat sync" button as it's not actually that helpful for beat matching - it won't sync up both tracks to the ONE of the beat, so it doesn't have much value for that purpose.

What is IS very useful for, is if you want to change up the BPM. By linking the slave track to the master track using beat sync, when you move the BPM slider, both tracks will speed up/slow down in sync with each other. 

Most of the software based syncs (Traktor, Serato etc) are pretty well advanced now that they beat match for you. Well, you just need to press play at approximately the right time and it will do the rest of the work to make sure the beats are then lined up. I think that the beat sync stuff is mostly used to allow the DJ more time to then do more editing on the fly, loops, samples, tons of stuff that you can do to play around with the tracks more so than your run of the mill beat match and slide the fader across with some eq-ing etc.

58 minutes ago, Vulpes vulpes said:

Might I recommend you get along to watch Avalon Emerson at the Beat Hotel on the Thursday night, and experience the skill that goes into her craft 

2 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Most of the software based syncs (Traktor, Serato etc) are pretty well advanced now that they beat match for you. Well, you just need to press play at approximately the right time and it will do the rest of the work to make sure the beats are then lined up. I think that the beat sync stuff is mostly used to allow the DJ more time to then do more editing on the fly, loops, samples, tons of stuff that you can do to play around with the tracks more so than your run of the mill beat match and slide the fader across with some eq-ing etc.

yeah true. My experience of playing with it is that although it beat matches, the sections won't necessarily line up how I want them to...but you're right, with timing I suppose you could make it work.

So many possibilities with the CDJs as you've said. The looping function is a god send.

Just now, Skoo said:

yeah true. My experience of playing with it is that although it beat matches, the sections won't necessarily line up how I want them to...but you're right, with timing I suppose you could make it work.

So many possibilities with the CDJs as you've said. The looping function is a god send.

Yeah, sometimes Traktor throws a wobbly, you do still need a certain amount of 'skill' to get them to work I guess, as you still need to get fairly close to the correct beat, you can't just push play and it does all of the heavy lifting. It has been a god send when I have agreed to DJ at friends weddings though, that's for sure, can get as pissed as you like!

5 hours ago, Homer said:

I'm kind of assuming Carl Cox will play some fairly hard techno on Arcadia?

I'd like to assume, or more wishfully thinking that all of Carl Cox, Annie Mac and Fatboy Slim (if he's b2b with Eats Everything) will play a harder style if it's on Arcadia? 

9 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

It's not about putting the performer through any 'difficulty', it's the performer passing off the 'performance' as something it's not, and there's a dishonesty to that that should be called out.

Meh, I don’t think the people in the crowds having the time of their lives are arsed.