Worried Sick

Worriedsick

5 minutes ago, alibear said:

Echoing what many others have said on here, but so glad all looks to be ok, it must've been such an anxious time, but it's so encouraging that they'll be getting you in asap to confirm. I had no idea a cervical screening could uncover potential issues in other areas? Has that always been the case, do you know, or has the screening developed?

I had an ultrasound there a few years ago (which I'm guessing you'll have?) It's no more than a tiny bit uncomfortable, plus they point out all your insides, which I found fascinating!

Also agree that it's certainly a reminder to get all the routine tests offered, and to go to the doc if you have any unusual symptoms - with advancements in so many treatments so much is easy to treat nowadays.

Anyway, enjoy the festival!!

No I didn't know that it could pick up anything other than problems with the cervix but my GP explained that the dodgy cells dropped from the uterus to the cervix in the same way as the lining does when you have a period.   It was definitely the reference to "an area other than the cervix" which alarmed me as I knew that many abnormal smears are not connected to cancer but wasn't sure what this result meant - and google showed nothing at all! I did resist googling for a little while as I thought it might not be a good idea!

My GP said that I will be having a Colopscopy to investigate further so your feedback @amyg1990is very helpful.  

It's funny, when you go along for these tests you almost forget that there will be a result and you just mentally tick it off as done and dusted.  

So all of you please take any offer of tests going - although I wouldn't wish my feelings on Monday on anyone, it could have been so much worse.  Even if they do find something better to find it sooner than later!

• Upvote 2

@Worriedsick do you know when the colposcopy will be?  (apologies if already said I'm behind on this thread!

You may well find that you go in for one and they don't perform it, as it is your first time.

They may, as they did with me last summer, have a look and decide to monitor it instead

I believe the reason for this is if your younger/have yet to have children

My not having one last year certainly didnt complicate things this year though

And if you do have one, mine wasnt painful. Its uncomfortable but no pain! ?

25 minutes ago, amyg1990 said:

@Worriedsick do you know when the colposcopy will be?  (apologies if already said I'm behind on this thread!

You may well find that you go in for one and they don't perform it, as it is your first time.

They may, as they did with me last summer, have a look and decide to monitor it instead

I believe the reason for this is if your younger/have yet to have children

My not having one last year certainly didnt complicate things this year though

And if you do have one, mine wasnt painful. Its uncomfortable but no pain! ?

My GP seemed fairly certain they would because the abnormal cells were from the uterus rather than the cervix (I think).  Although I was flagged as urgent, the earliest date they could offer was mid-September!  But the person making the appointment thought it would be brought forward once the consultant had looked at it.  And my GP is going to tell them to if I haven't been given an earlier date by the time I return from Glasto.  She kept saying it was ridiculous that I had been given a date in September.

I think it's not a usual thing to be picked up from a smear.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, carlosj said:

@Worriedsick

How was your festival? I hope things are back on track and you are able to get a better date.

Thanks - as I don't usually log on in this name, I've only just seen your post - very thoughtful of you. 

I did have a great festival thanks - I pushed my worries to the back of my mind for most of the time which was easier after my GP had reassured me, though occasionally I did wonder........

My appointment was brought forward and was today.  I had the hysteroscopy and thankfully the doctor could see nothing to concern him.  He took a biopsy just in case but I feel reassured that everything looks fine.  

I do feel that perhaps being told that i was "an urgent case" made me worry unduly.  It didn't help either that every single notice and leaflet on the board in the clinic was cancer support of one type or another.

Thanks everyone - it was helpful to share my worries anonymously.

And don't forget to have those tests.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 13

I think I speak for a lot of us when I say I wanted to hear news from you but didn't like to ask. 

Now it's come it is the best of news.  So pleased you are feeling so relieved.  Best wishes for the future. 

Rich x

Edited by parsonjack

40 minutes ago, Worriedsick said:

Thanks - as I don't usually log on in this name, I've only just seen your post - very thoughtful of you. 

I did have a great festival thanks - I pushed my worries to the back of my mind for most of the time which was easier after my GP had reassured me, though occasionally I did wonder........

My appointment was brought forward and was today.  I had the hysteroscopy and thankfully the doctor could see nothing to concern him.  He took a biopsy just in case but I feel reassured that everything looks fine.  

I do feel that perhaps being told that i was "an urgent case" made me worry unduly.  It didn't help either that every single notice and leaflet on the board in the clinic was cancer support of one type or another.

Thanks everyone - it was helpful to share my worries anonymously.

And don't forget to have those tests.

Glad we could help, good to hear the news :)