Worried Sick

Worriedsick

3 hours ago, Worriedsick said:

I'm a regular poster on here but have name changed for obvious reasons.

In amongst  enjoying all the excitement of the build up etc and weather watching etc, I went for a smear test.  This has now come back abnormal but not in the usual way which I know is almost always not cancer.  I have been told that abnormal cells have been found not from the cervix but from elsewhere.  And worryingly, told to make a return appointment as soon as possible and definitely within a week.  This is tomorrow.  I'm worried sick.  

Possibly the worst preparation for Glastonbury imaginable.

Hi!

i just thought I would share my story in hope it comforts you somewhat

i had my first smear in August last year, didn’t actually receive my results under November after chasing them. They came back abnormal, and positive for that virus (can’t remember the name) I was in total meltdown. Sobbing my heart out to my then 10 month old. I rang to book the secondary appointment for further investigation and they told me it wouldn’t be until December 24th. I went and paid for a private gynaecologist appointment (financial OUCH) and they said I could have the further investigation done within a week. I then rang the nhs appointment and asked to be put on a cancellation list and they rang the next day to say they had one immediately. I went up there, had a full blown panic attack during the examination (ended up with gas and air, which you can request by the way, if you feel you need it) and during the exam they told me they couldn’t find anything abnormal. I was relieved. 

Its such a horrible situation and I am so sorry it’s happening before Glastonbury. 

Make sure you have someone to help or support you for tomorrow. I hope it all goes well, hopefully like mine it turns out to be fine. 

Sending positive love and hugs. X

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Top of the list you gotta give yourself credit for actually going and getting this done and addressing it rather than pretending it's not happening - you couldn't be doing better.

Other than that fingers will be crossed it's another one of those "oh god I'd got myself into such a worry" meetings - and if not there's plenty of support here with people who know the territory.

I also wanted to say if you're in a certain girls group on facebook, feel free to find my name and message me if you want someone to chat to. I found it hard to talk to anyone when I had my abnormal results come back because I didn't want those close to me worrying like I was. x

Thinking of you right now, sending you love and strength. Whatever the outcome of today's appointment, you've got this and hopefully next week you'll be celebrating what was a big scare. And if not, you'll be screaming to the top of your lungs, getting ready to battle and you'll have a bunch of eFest strangers screaming and crying with you if you need it. 
You are, clearly,  a very strong and brave woman: not telling your family for now and dealing with it all quietly? Going to the appointment by yourself? Knowing that you need to vent in order to keep a clear head and coming here to share this with us and allowing us to help you cope? I think you are awesome and you'll be alright no matter what. You've got this. This is just one more thing you'll kick ass at.

• Upvote 1

Hope all goes well today. Whatever the result you are in the best hands and none of us can tell you how you should or shouldn't deal with this. Do what's right for you but if for now it's easier to confide in strangers know that we are here for you and have your back. 

I couldn't post earlier as being a "new" poster, it seems I could only post a limited number in a day.

The news is good(ish).  Though today was excruciating as my appointment wasn't until after work so I had to get through a whole day at work first.  I rang the gynae clinic and they said that yes they had me down for an urgent appointment but the earliest they could offer was September!  So that was a double whammy of confirmation that I was considered urgent but would have to wait three months to know the worst.  Although they thought there was a good chance that the consultant would ask for the appointment to be brought forward.  But all this didn't make the wait for my GP appointment any easier. I was in a daze most of the day.  I also wasn't sure what would happen at the GP - would she tell me the diagnosis and the gynae appointment was the treatment or what?

However when I got to the GP she said that the result was that the smear test had found the cervix clear but it had found abnormal cells from my uterus which could be due to anything from an inflammation through to cancer.  But she said she really didn't think I should be worrying as they had not identified any cancerous cells and I had no symptoms such as bleeding.  

She said if they hadn't contacted me with a revised, earlier appointment in two weeks she would intervene and ask them to bring it forward.  And suggested she ring me in two week's time to follow this up.  I told her that 1st probably wasn't a good day to call as I would be on my way back from Glasto.  We then had a nice little chat about Glasto and she agreed to call me later in the week instead.  And she told me not to worry and enjoy it!

I am so relieved I can't tell you.  My mouth was dry and my head was tense all day.  And I kept having to go to the loo with nerves.  I wasn't sure how I would cope at Glasto as I was in such a strange, almost split personality state - I was talking to people but was at the same time very detached.  Though maybe......

Thank you all for your support.  I was really quite freaked and it was therapeutic to talk on here.  

Now I feel I really can look forward to it again.  BRING IT ON!!

• Like 17
  • Upvote 29

That's encouraging, hope it all works out for you and iit is just an inflammation, now just concentrate on having a good festival. These things can make you appreciate juxt how valuable and precious life is, we all take it for granted. My thoughts are with you

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Worriedsick said:

I couldn't post earlier as being a "new" poster, it seems I could only post a limited number in a day.

The news is good(ish).  Though today was excruciating as my appointment wasn't until after work so I had to get through a whole day at work first.  I rang the gynae clinic and they said that yes they had me down for an urgent appointment but the earliest they could offer was September!  So that was a double whammy of confirmation that I was considered urgent but would have to wait three months to know the worst.  Although they thought there was a good chance that the consultant would ask for the appointment to be brought forward.  But all this didn't make the wait for my GP appointment any easier. I was in a daze most of the day.  I also wasn't sure what would happen at the GP - would she tell me the diagnosis and the gynae appointment was the treatment or what?

However when I got to the GP she said that the result was that the smear test had found the cervix clear but it had found abnormal cells from my uterus which could be due to anything from an inflammation through to cancer.  But she said she really didn't think I should be worrying as they had not identified any cancerous cells and I had no symptoms such as bleeding.  

She said if they hadn't contacted me with a revised, earlier appointment in two weeks she would intervene and ask them to bring it forward.  And suggested she ring me in two week's time to follow this up.  I told her that 1st probably wasn't a good day to call as I would be on my way back from Glasto.  We then had a nice little chat about Glasto and she agreed to call me later in the week instead.  And she told me not to worry and enjoy it!

I am so relieved I can't tell you.  My mouth was dry and my head was tense all day.  And I kept having to go to the loo with nerves.  I wasn't sure how I would cope at Glasto as I was in such a strange, almost split personality state - I was talking to people but was at the same time very detached.  Though maybe......

Thank you all for your support.  I was really quite freaked and it was therapeutic to talk on here.  

Now I feel I really can look forward to it again.  BRING IT ON!!

I'm SO glad. I was really worried when you hadn't posted again that it'd been bad news. Bring on Glasto!

I am going to have such a great festival now.  Even though it's not a 100% positive, it's so much better than I'd feared.

And I will never take my health for granted again.  Whatever happens.  I really didn't think it would happen to me. Now I realise it could and I need to take that into account.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1