Campervan tow hooks

The other Bellboy

Hi all, sorry for asking this on here but can find bugger all online and the owner of the CV i'm renting hasn't a clue!

Anyway, i'm trying to find out what type of tow hook is fitted to a 2005 fiat Ducato. Preparing for the worst - of course if i prepare then it won't happen! I do not want to be sent off to B&W for not being able to be towed.

The owner doesn't know what the tow hook arrangements are so i'm thinking of bringing my 2009 model tow hook over with me just in case. The model shapes are different and i don't know if they changed the chassis too.

Thanks and see you all on the farm in 10 days of so :)

I have a GT655 Hymer, based on a Fiat Ducato, 2005, and the tow hook is already on the chassis. At the front left (it's LHD) and at the rear right, near the spare wheel. There's no facility to add a hook like cars on this. You'll need to look under the body to see both of those. Well used in that last mud bath with the tractors.

I have an 2004 Hymer based on the Fiat Ducato 

Under the front vehicle there is a metal loop welded to the chassis and they just hook the tow rope to that.

We have been towed when it sank into wet grass the other year so can confirm it works 

Edited by ivan

Luxury - I've got a VW T2 Bay  - no tow hooks or eyes on it - in 2016 got turned away from East CV twice and eventually told we'd have to stay at B&W as we didn't have one (and to be honest it was a bonus that we did as I've never got away so quickly on the Monday.

I've ordered some of those racing tow-straps to fit onto the bumper mounting brackets at the weekend - just in case.....

Thanks for the replies folks. As far as i know Hymer CV's have a different body fitted onto the chassis so they may have needed to weld the tow hooks on to get things to work? Anyway its looking like the weather and ground is going to be OK so i'm staying positive. My hirer has described herself as a little old biddy and thinks an MOT is a guarantee that a tow hook cannot be needed so i can now see why my questions aren't getting answered - for the sake of balance this could have been a problem with every age, gender and ethnicity - we can't all be mechanically minded :)

3 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Thanks for the replies folks. As far as i know Hymer CV's have a different body fitted onto the chassis so they may have needed to weld the tow hooks on to get things to work? Anyway its looking like the weather and ground is going to be OK so i'm staying positive. My hirer has described herself as a little old biddy and thinks an MOT is a guarantee that a tow hook cannot be needed so i can now see why my questions aren't getting answered - for the sake of balance this could have been a problem with every age, gender and ethnicity - we can't all be mechanically minded :)

To give some balance, my brother in law helped me get my current car. He asked me what I wanted. I said 4 wheels and a DAB radio. I've no idea on vehicles, I'm white, middle aged, male. ?

On 6/18/2019 at 5:58 PM, Penrhos said:

Luxury - I've got a VW T2 Bay  - no tow hooks or eyes on it - in 2016 got turned away from East CV twice and eventually told we'd have to stay at B&W as we didn't have one (and to be honest it was a bonus that we did as I've never got away so quickly on the Monday.

Is this an official thing? I've never been asked about tow hooks on the T25  (including 2016 when I had to get tractored out of CV West.)

I've looked through the campervan/caravan section but I can't find anything that references it.

Not sure, we got to the gate early Wednesday morning in 2016 and they asked if we had a tow-eye on the T2 - It hasn't.

They had a quick look under the bumper, said we didn't have any fittings to attach a tow-rope onto and we had to go to B&W as they wouldn't be able to tow us onto site without damaging the van.

We've used the T2 every year since 2011 and that was the only time we've had any problems....

Ah ok, hopefully that must have just been a 2016 issue then. I heard a couple of people get stuck Tues on the way in and had to be towed so maybe that's where the rule came from? 

Have you got a late bay (1972-)? My early bay (1970),  had the towing eye welded onto the bumper mounting which bolts onto the chassis rail, exactly the same arrangement as the T25. The 72 onwards seems to have the bumper bolted onto the front panel extension rather than the chassis, perhaps that's why it doesn't have a towing loop?

17 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Have you got a late bay (1972-)? My early bay (1970),  had the towing eye welded onto the bumper mounting which bolts onto the chassis rail, exactly the same arrangement as the T25. The 72 onwards seems to have the bumper bolted onto the front panel extension rather than the chassis, perhaps that's why it doesn't have a towing loop?

Yes - I've got a 78 T2 bay - bumper is bolted to the bottom of front panel, I checked last night and the bolts don't extend to the chassis (which is a bummer as I was going to use them to fasten the tow-straps onto) so the tow-straps I bought have nothing to fasten onto that's unlikely to be ripped off if they were used.

Fortunately according to the weather & state of the ground threads so long as the site dodges the forecast Monday downpours all should be OK.