Glastonbury’s Greatest Headliners BBC2

gooner1990

9 hours ago, Homer said:

Love Carter - legends (I remember Jimbob played the Leftfield tent in 2007; I only caught the end as I got so battered at Arcade Fire I couldn't find it):

Never realised you were a fan! I played bass as a stand in for Les' other band Abdoujaparov at Shepherds Bush once, supporting Ned's Atomic Dustbin. A surreal and cool experience. Shat my pants with nerves the whole gig. 

Edited by Superscally

Just watched the show. I really enjoyed it. Was already in the mood but even more so now.

Read this whole thread. I was at Gorillaz and thought it was good. It got cold towards the end though as the crowd thinned.

No mention of the Verve sadly. Their headline set in 2008 was fantastic.

13 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Never realised you were a fan! I played bass as a stand in for Les' other band Abdoujaparov at Shepherds Bush once, supporting Ned's Atomic Dustbin. A surreal and cool experience. Shat my pants with nerves the whole gig. 

Yes, I went to the last of the last gigs! I saw Jim at Shepherds Bush last year too.

How did that happen?! And how was Les?

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Here's my brewing tin foil hat theory. From memory, the following headliners in the past 25 years didn't get any mention or even cursory clip time over 90m of this docu:

The Who '15, Primal Scream '98 and both Peter Gabriel + Elvis Costello '94

Costello vocally slagged off the festival. Primal Scream had the Nazi meltdown. The Who utterly stank the place out on their second go-round (made all the more ironic by Townshend taking a pop at Kanye). Peter Gabriel looked comically old hat next to the NME stage bill.

Scream have been invited back after their misdemeanours, in fairness, but I can't help but feel the Eavises or someone at the Beeb made executive decisions to omit all the above from this recap as ones they'd rather forget.

Your comment reminded me of this rather tense Glastonbury "moment"

3:36 Straight to Hell ""Going to festivals is one of my favorite things to do, and I'm always thinking: This is not meaningless! There’s something about getting together which we have every right to do, and they're gonna' fuck us up on that right, if we see that coming we're gonna' be away, separated." - Joe Strummer

38 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, just watched - Everybody Hurts was the ultimate singalong apparently!

Whoever wrote that script wasn't at that gig is all I can say, It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) was an EPIC singalong.

I've seen a LOT of headliners since that night, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:53 PM, Sku said:

I was actually quite enjoying watching  extra time just wasn't bothered about watching a shoot out. 

Honestly not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say that.

9 hours ago, incident said:

To be fair it's not that unexpected that in a documentary called "Glastonbury's Greatest Headliners", some acts weren't included because they weren't the greatest.

For what it's worth, it's quite possible I missed them but I think Moby, The Verve, and Basement Jaxx also weren't included and I'm not aware of any animosity or issues with any of them. Were Stereophonics shown? Can't remember them being in it either. Travis I don't think were shown, but just got mentioned in passing in one of the interviews.

They did show Travis, they were part of the covers section with their 'hit me baby one more time' thing they did. Think Stereophonics were also shown, but just in a passing clip. Shakespeare's Sister weren't shown though, what a travesty!

4 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

They did show Travis, they were part of the covers section with their 'hit me baby one more time' thing they did. Think Stereophonics were also shown, but just in a passing clip. Shakespeare's Sister weren't shown though, what a travesty!

You're correct re Travis. Felix from Basement Jaxx, Moby and The Stereophonics all appeared in montages.

10 hours ago, Homer said:

Yes, I went to the last of the last gigs! I saw Jim at Shepherds Bush last year too.

How did that happen?! And how was Les?

The main guitarist of Abdoujaparov (I think he would have been guitarist for Carter at that gig you went to) is a pal and will be at the wedding (playing with his other band) and it was a last minute thing. One week to learn all the tunes! Scary gear. 

Les is ace. Salt of the earth, funny and was very welcoming. 

10 hours ago, Spindles said:

Whoever wrote that script wasn't at that gig is all I can say, It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) was an EPIC singalong.

I've seen a LOT of headliners since that night, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

Probably in my top ten gigs of all time.

There was definitely a shot of Ashcroft in there at one point too for people missing The Verve.

Watched it last night and enjoyed it, got me nicely in the mood.

They're really going thick on the FM for 2020 hints aren't they? First that interview, then the "announcement" on stage, then a little section on them last night....

• 3 months later...