Glastonbury’s Greatest Headliners BBC2

gooner1990

This was pretty good fun, I know basically nothing about Skunk Anansie so it was a bit of a surprise to see how massive they were at the time.

I know why it will never happen but seeing this and the 2014-17 sets on iPlayer makes me wish there was a Glastonbury archive you could watch over old sets with. 

Watched it this morning. 95 was my first year and I wish I'd gone the year before and seen the Levellers slot because I loved them at the time (still got a massive soft spot for them, truth be told).

Was great remembering some of those sets. Bowie, REM and Radiohead are some of my top headliner memories.

After that I watched the Julian Temple Glastonbury film so I'm extra excited now.

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve only been going for the last 5 years or so, but that levellers crowd looked absolutely mental.

I can really see why people hark back to the old days, it really was a hardcore crowd. That said the festival needed to change for it to have a future so it’s all for the greater good.

It was exciting then - a slight air of almost tension. You felt like it could all go off at any time.

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

It was exciting then - a slight air of almost tension. You felt like it could all go off at any time.

It’s a strange situation really. I’ve never really thought of the Levellers as having a crowd like anywhere. But I think it all comes down the ‘Gentrification’ of festivals.

Back then only a specific type of person went to Glastonbury. In the most part the type that would go to a levellers set and go absolutely mental.

Nowadays anyone and everyone goes to festivals and/or Glastonbury, the crowd has been diluted down so it’s just a cross section of society as a whole. It’s sad in a way really, but Glastonbury is still absolutely amazing and probably wouldn’t exist of that hadn’t have happened. I’m just a little sad I didn’t experience it in those days.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s a strange situation really. I’ve never really thought of the Levellers as having a crowd like anywhere. But I think it all comes down the ‘Gentrification’ of festivals.

Back then only a specific type of person went to Glastonbury. In the most part the type that would go to a levellers set and go absolutely mental.

Nowadays anyone and everyone goes to festivals and it Glastonbury, the crowd has been diluted down so it’s just a cross section of society as a whole. It’s sad in a way really, bit Glastonbury is still absolutely amazing and probably wouldn’t exist of that hadn’t have happened. I’m just a little sad I didn’t experience it in hose days.

Yeah, I was 18 in 94 and we were pretty much the only people I knew in sixth form who went - despite living in Bristol. I think we were regarded as being a bit weird for doing it.

• Upvote 1

I just watched it and its weird looking back at some of the previous headliners. Apologies but my main takes were Adele seemed quite bland, Ed Sheeran actually came across really likable and most of the mid 00s indie bands like Arctic Monkeys and the Killers sound a bit dated now. Jay Z's and Beyonce's sets looked out of this world and Coldplay are maybe quite lucky they're local and friends to the festival. As Skin pointed out the Skunk Anansie headline set seems almost trailblazing in hindsight. Also Dolly Parton really transformed the legend slot into a party slot didn't she?

Edited by addicted2noise

5 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I just watched it and its weird looking back at some of the previous headliners. Apologies but my main takes were. Adele seemed quite bland, Ed Sheeran actually came across really likeable and most of the mid 00s indie bands like Arctic Monkeys and the Killers sound a bit dated now. Jay Z's and Beyonce's sets looked out of this world and Coldplay are maybe quite lucky they're local and friends to the festival. As Skin pointed out the Skunk Anansie headline set seems almost trailblazing in hindsight. Also Dolly Parton really transformed the legend slot into a party slot didnt she?

Yeah, It’s weird because I’m a massive AM fan but looking back I’m gutted I wasn’t a glasto goer for Jay Z and Beyonce. Their sets seem to have aged incredibly well by comparison. It’s mad to think how much controversy there was at the time for Jay Z, it just seems like complete madness now. The Oasis and AM headline sets definitely do look very dated now but Jay Z and Beyoncé’s definitely do not. 

Just now, Blabes said:

Was it just me or did they completely erase The Whos 2015 headlining slot from the records, even when they did the oldest headliners didn't they just say the The Who in 2007?

I thought the same. Would have made them the oldest too.

Mind you, I erased it too at the time, didn’t understand why they were back at all, never mind so soon. I’ll just about forgive Macca a return, but really The Who only needed one appearance imho

3 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

but I can't help but feel the Eavises or someone at the Beeb made executive decisions to omit all the above from this recap as ones they'd rather forget.

To be fair it's not that unexpected that in a documentary called "Glastonbury's Greatest Headliners", some acts weren't included because they weren't the greatest.

For what it's worth, it's quite possible I missed them but I think Moby, The Verve, and Basement Jaxx also weren't included and I'm not aware of any animosity or issues with any of them. Were Stereophonics shown? Can't remember them being in it either. Travis I don't think were shown, but just got mentioned in passing in one of the interviews.