Glastonbury’s Greatest Headliners BBC2

gooner1990

19 minutes ago, elbongo said:

You the Simon says... wish were about for 94? 

I bang on about it and bore whoever is listening about 94. The first one is always the best. And at the time. 17 years old I loved the levellers. And orbital on the Saturday. Sound systems all over the place. No curfews. Crazy times.  

Mate, I love the history of the place... Video footage, books, photos, efests posts about what it used to be like... makes me feel more connected to it all yknow?

And getting philosophical about it all, the four times I've been have all been firsts, which is probs part of the reasons I love it so deeply, 2014 first time, 2015 first working, 2016 first time in for free, 2017 first time with a large group of friends... 2019 first time not going, ha!

7 minutes ago, priest17 said:

You've reached out to some cool people on Twitter this evening.

Awww, cheers bud, it's been nice!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

- The FFF section was great. Same with Beyonce asking to be coated in mud. Last time before she shut herself off in cloistered megastar mode, nice to see a bit of humanity.

- Funny how 2002 is basically derided. Stereophonics got about 5secs of airtime and Rod was mentioned in pretty mocking terms throughout. Maybe Chris Martin paid the Beeb under the table to look Coldplay look better by comparison.

- Also funny watching how blatantly terrified Kanye is on the cherrypicker. As a diehard of his – material, not personality – it was admittedly a 4/10 setlist for the Pyramid and a 7/10 performance from a 10/10 star. Rounds out to a 7.

- Giving the last voice to Stormzy, over shots of Bowie, gave me genuine tingles. Anyone who thinks he isn't treating this seriously is out of their mind. Might win me over for seeing him step up to the plate, even as an only casual fan.

I love how Glastonbury does that to artists. Arcade Fire are my soul band, but Win can be so brusque in interviews, and he's glowing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZQJ1wypH7E

That period of the superfence being introduced, and, crucially, Melvin Benn running the show, feels like a rarely-mentioned low point in the Glastonbury story. A few sponsors and brands appearing, travellers being excluded, extremely beige lineups... With 2008 only selling out a day before gates opening, and Eavis retaking the reins, to now, feels like a bigger deal than is usually talked about. Am I on the mark here??

Kanye had so much potential.... I feel like people like the idea of him more than what he really is. Do his positive contributions outweigh the negative?

Big up Stormzy, and the people in charge for booking him there. Using Glastonbury's position in today;s culture for good... If I was there, I'd probably see Tame Impala, but that's by the by!

16 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

- Also funny watching how blatantly terrified Kanye is on the cherrypicker. As a diehard of his – material, not personality – it was admittedly a 4/10 setlist for the Pyramid and a 7/10 performance from a 10/10 star. Rounds out to a 7.

First time I've seen Emily say that she had to keep convincing Kanye to go back on stage.

16 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

- Giving the last voice to Stormzy, over shots of Bowie, gave me genuine tingles. Anyone who thinks he isn't treating this seriously is out of their mind. Might win me over for seeing him step up to the plate, even as an only casual fan.

I'm genuinely annoyed that I can't see Stormzy now but I'm not missing Tame Impala. If they disappoint though I'm going to hot foot it over to the Pyramid.

The one thing that really stuck out from this program was just how many times Glastonbury has taken big risks, and with Emily at the helm I have no doubt they will continue to because she gets it. That's why Glastonbury isn't IOW festival, or Reading/Leeds etc. It wouldn't have got as big as it had if it had got stuck in a rut at any point.

45 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

4/10 setlist.

Up for debate

26 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

First time I've seen Emily say that she had to keep convincing Kanye to go back on stage.

Pretty sure she said she thought she'd have to convince him rather than she actually did?

Sounds like a great show! I’m hoping a kind soul uploads it somewhere for us on the other side of the world to access ?

Do people in the UK love the BBC as much as those of us outside of it do?? So much quality and the Glasto coverage is excellent if you have no hope of being there is person.

5 hours ago, Mark H said:

Sounds like a great show! I’m hoping a kind soul uploads it somewhere for us on the other side of the world to access ?

Do people in the UK love the BBC as much as those of us outside of it do?? So much quality and the Glasto coverage is excellent if you have no hope of being there is person.

No, there is a weird undercurrent of people in this country who hate the BBC and don't realise they should be proud of it, sort of in the same way as the NHS. It's fed by the right wing press mainly; the people who read it somehow not realising that the reason why the likes of the Daily Mail have got it in for the BBC is because they are a rival news source. Last time I checked, the Daily Express didn't produce Blackadder.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Simpo said:

That period of the superfence being introduced, and, crucially, Melvin Benn running the show, feels like a rarely-mentioned low point in the Glastonbury story. A few sponsors and brands appearing, travellers being excluded, extremely beige lineups... With 2008 only selling out a day before gates opening, and Eavis retaking the reins, to now, feels like a bigger deal than is usually talked about. Am I on the mark here??

Melvin was something which had to happen else the festival was dead. 

Sponsors and brands, or line-ups weren't to do with Melvin. The sponsors and brands might have been brought in to boost income to pay for Melvin, tho it probably has more to do with what was going on at the time with festivals being 'hot' and sponsors and brands throwing around big money, and that some was too good to refuse - but it was done low-key in the main (certainly compared to other fests).

The travellers had pretty-much been excluded by the time of Melvin anyway, but they were also an associated licence issue that needed to be nailed - they were actually generating more complaints from locals than the festival was.

Loved the Leveller’s footage, I watch that regularly on You Tube, so pleasantly surprised to see it there. Other stand outs were Blur, JayZ, Chems, and Flo stepping in/up. Wish I’d gone to Adele now too, instead of whatever it was I was doing instead. 

Low points were Kanye (wtf was that?) and the doldrums of Ed in 2017. 

Killers might have been ok a decade ago, but looking a bit uninspired for next week... 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

It showed just how pivotal the Jay Z booking was.

Probably the most important booking in the history of the festival, pushing it in a new exciting direction.

Led the way for Beyoncé, Kanye, Adele, Stormzy and even Ed. 

I don't see how Jay Z has anything to do with Adele and Ed being booked?

1 hour ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

It’s a pity the program didn’t go back even further,  remember 1992 with Carter USM headlining the pyramid and scuffling with security when their set was cut short then shouting obscenities at ME. They never played there again! 

White stripes not quite the first duo to headline then.

31 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Compared with something like Coachella or the Yeezus tour, it was all wrong. The songs were mostly great – I love College Dropout but know why he's moved well past it – but the order was so weird. I Wonder, FourFiveSeconds, Hold My Liquor, Clique, Cold, Bohemian Rhapsody (honestly), Woods into Lost In The World in the middle not as a set-ender, Only One to close out the main set, plus all the interruptions and periods of silence. 

I really do wonder how it would have felt if he hadn't been rushed four songs in.

I guess the "hilarious" stage invader didn't help either but yeah the set was quite disjointed and had nowhere near the same flow to it as his Coachella set. He really should have headlined a few years earlier to be fair.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't see how Jay Z has anything to do with Adele and Ed being booked?

Because neither are white male indie rock bands. 

Jay Z opened the door to hip hop artists and mainstream pop stars headlining.