FOR GOD'S SAKE BBC WATCHING ON THE IPLAYER IS NOT THE SAME AS BEING THERE!!

Jne___

In 2015 I had to miss the festival for the first time since 1997, and had to make do with the bbc coverage, because my son was being born. 

It's obviously not the same. But it is quite impressive. The ability to flick through the stages in seconds, rather than fight through mud between them, was something of a novelty. 

In a weird way I quite enjoyed it. To see how the festival was portrayed whilst it was going on was a real eye opener. 

So, I've decided to make this a regular thing, to experience the festival outside the festival, on the bbc, once every 18 years. 

3 minutes ago, uscore said:

In 2015 I had to miss the festival for the first time since 1997, and had to make do with the bbc coverage, because my son was being born. 

It's obviously not the same. But it is quite impressive. The ability to flick through the stages in seconds, rather than fight through mud between them, was something of a novelty. 

In a weird way I quite enjoyed it. To see how the festival was portrayed whilst it was going on was a real eye opener. 

So, I've decided to make this a regular thing, to experience the festival outside the festival, on the bbc, once every 18 years. 

18 years? I’m trying for once every 100 years ?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, uscore said:

I'm missing my first festival this year since 2004 as Glastonbury Friday will be my daughter's first birthday.

I'm so looking forward to her birthday and wouldn't be anywhere else. My daughter is my world.

On the flip side I'm not looking forward to not missing the festival. 

The beeb coverage is the secret sauce.

People come attracted by the “big acts” on stages covered very glossily. On telly it looks like, with half an effort, you’ll be on the rail for a mega act.

Then those newbies come.

And for many - those that vow to come back - there’s that wonderful transformation we all had. Suddenly you stop caring about whatever the line up is. It’s dawn and you’re sharing random stories with mates, or sat at a random place you never knew and will never exist again. The next year you’re there at 2am in the queue. Or you’ve signed up to work. Or you find yourself driving to the farm on a weekend, to go for a walk in the countryside you’d normally yawn at.

I love the beeb coverage. It’s not at all representative. Quite the opposite. But oh my, the new converts it must bring. ?

• Upvote 2

Of course watching it on TV isn’t the same but it’s a reasonable substitute if you can’t be there.  For various (not happy making) reasons, we won’t be there this year.  The last time we couldn’t make it - 2015 - I spent the entire weekend watching it on iPlayer  enjoying the fact that others were having such a wonderful time.  Knowing what I was missing made it hurt but knowing* that ‘my’ ticket had been taken by someone who was having so much fun made it much easier to bear.  All of you with tickets please have the best of times this year - I’ll be watching to make sure that you are.

* obviously I don’t know who got ‘my’ ticket but long ago decided that whoever got the one that should have had my name on it was a caring, smiley-faced,  leave-no-trace type of person.  

• Upvote 1

The bbc coverage of muse in 2004 made me make a comment about how I had to go when I was 12.

my mums friends who were regulars decided they could get me in as a free child in 2005 (when I was 13 so strictly speaking of paying age)

were it not for that I would never have been. Okay it doesn’t portray the true make up of the festival but without that coverage children like me would never fall in love with the place without having been.

in my first years of absence I refused to watch but seeing Radiohead, followed by the flaming lips last year (you couldn’t do that if you were there) made me determined to come back... now I’m sat here in pure excitement knowing I’m going home for the first time in 8 years.

my first Glastonbury was thanks to the beeb, my return is too... it’s not the same, but my word is it powerful

38 minutes ago, Stone_Love said:

I'm missing my first festival this year since 2004 as Glastonbury Friday will be my daughter's first birthday.

I'm so looking forward to her birthday and wouldn't be anywhere else. My daughter is my world.

On the flip side I'm not looking forward to not missing the festival. 

One day I hope she loves the festival just as much as you so she's able to celebrate it there. 

hmmmmm. Perhaps there’s been a misunderstanding. The coverage is good, but fact is it’s not the same as being there, which is what they’re pushing at the moment!

personally I think I’ll have to avoid it, and just pretend it’s another fallow year.

16 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

One day I hope she loves the festival just as much as you so she's able to celebrate it there. 

If I'd had my way we'd be taking her this year to celebrate her first birthday at Worthy Farm but my wife refused 

Hopefully one day soon she will be with me there.

For 2020 I'm considering going Wednesday-Saturday and heading home Saturday evening in time for her birthday on the Sunday as it'll fall on a leap year.p

• Like 1

The BBC coverage is 10x better than being there and I encourage all to watch 2020 at home and not try for tickets. I'm happy to take one for the team and attend in person, but staying home is easily the best choice.

• Upvote 2