The set you wish you were at

flyingmonkeypigs

9 minutes ago, TabulaRasa said:

2007 - Bjork - Other Stage.

So wish I was there for that.

I was a naive 15 year old so I don’t regret too much but on the way back from arctic monkeys I saw this small, strange woman screaming over the most Intense bass...

safe to say I hung around for the last song and it blew my mind. That song and a half questioned everything I knew about music. I didn’t see enough for it to feature in my top glasto sets but that brief moment was probably the first time Glastonbury grabbed me by the bollocks and told me to try something new, I’ve never been the same since

Edit: worth adding that until then I was a complete indie/ rock kid that only starting attending after watching muse on tv in 2004...2005 I was too young to appreciate everything but bjork will always stick in my mind as a formative moment in my life, however brief that moment was

Edited by flyingmonkeypigs
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I actually don't regret any of my choices. Sure, everyone said how good Blur were but I had an incredible night at The Prodigy. Stevie was meant to be amazing, but ending my weekend with Orbital was perfect. 

The only one I slightly wonder about is when we and my brother just sat in a bar having a catch up whilst Lionel was on. But even then, it was good to just chill. 

5 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I actually don't regret any of my choices. Sure, everyone said how good Blur were but I had an incredible night at The Prodigy. Stevie was meant to be amazing, but ending my weekend with Orbital was perfect. 

The only one I slightly wonder about is when we and my brother just sat in a bar having a catch up whilst Lionel was on. But even then, it was good to just chill. 

2009/10, it seems we had the same experience 

Easily Blur 2009. Was stood at The Cider Bus for the first two or three numbers but left to see The Black Eyed Peas (I had my perfectly rational reasons). Blur went on to perform The Gig Of The Decade.

Now for a couple of not bad decisions but regret the clashes:

Missed Pulp for Portishead in '95. You could hear the crowd singing Common Perople from The Acoustic over the quiet bits. Still glad I was at Portishead though.

Similary the Chic/Arctic Monkeys/Portishead clash one year. Loved Chic, but missed Portishead. If I'd known Chic would be invited back at a later festival to do pretty much the same set on The Pyramid I would have picked Portishead.

As for the times I wasn't there: It's the Radiohead's and the Bowie. Just kicking myself for not being there. My first was '95 and didn't get back until '04.

Both Dolly and Metallica 2014. Actually the whole of 2014. It's still the only one I've missed since volunteering for my first in 2009 and I stayed home because I was 5 months pregnant. I actually regret that now since having seen friends still have a wonderful Glastonbury while in the same position 

I can’t believe no-one else has said this one; Slash in 2010 which I missed for the fucking football.  Worst decision ever.

i also kind of regret choosing Suzanne Vega over Beyonce.  Suzanne Vega is an absolute icon for me (she is the reason I play guitar) and it was the first time I’d actually seen her live so it was really special to me.  But I definitely feel I missed out on something legendary with Beyoncé.

4 hours ago, ICGenie said:

I can’t believe no-one else has said this one; Slash in 2010 which I missed for the fucking football.  Worst decision ever.

i also kind of regret choosing Suzanne Vega over Beyonce.  Suzanne Vega is an absolute icon for me (she is the reason I play guitar) and it was the first time I’d actually seen her live so it was really special to me.  But I definitely feel I missed out on something legendary with Beyoncé.

You beat me to it mentioning Slash. Still my worst Glastonbury mistake.

10 hours ago, flyingmonkeypigs said:

Maybe slightly off topic so close to the fest but nonetheless...

I’m currently watching my favourite (tv) Glasto set, Radiohead 2003, and wondered what’s the one set everyone wished they had been at? Whether it was one you missed as you made the wrong decision on the day or whether you weren’t at the farm that year.

(apologies if this is a previously visited subject)

Bowie,

10 hours ago, Raincatcher said:

Watched Lionel Richie on the TV and was really taken by how much fun he looked like he was having. Not a huge fan or anything but the crowd looked to absolutely bouncing and having a great time so gutted to have missed it. 

Actually that too 

I was having "an incident" and needed to pull myself together. By the time I was ok, he'd nearly finished. So I went straight to Future Islands

I think most of the ones I wish I'd seen are ones before I went to Glastonbury. So Bowie, Radiohead 97, Pulp 94, Blur 09 are probably some of the big ones. I've made some calls at Glastonbury and seen other sets that have maybe been slightly better but nothing where I've been devastated with the choice I've made. 

Johnny Cash

Radiohead 2003 (I know 97 is the most fabled, but the 2003 setlist is near enough perfection)

Bowie

That's is really. I'm really happy with what I've seen already, and the others I could potentially add to the list (e.g. Macca) I live in hope they will return one day. 

10 hours ago, flyingmonkeypigs said:

I was a naive 15 year old so I don’t regret too much but on the way back from arctic monkeys I saw this small, strange woman screaming over the most Intense bass...

safe to say I hung around for the last song and it blew my mind. That song and a half questioned everything I knew about music. I didn’t see enough for it to feature in my top glasto sets but that brief moment was probably the first time Glastonbury grabbed me by the bollocks and told me to try something new, I’ve never been the same since

Edit: worth adding that until then I was a complete indie/ rock kid that only starting attending after watching muse on tv in 2004...2005 I was too young to appreciate everything but bjork will always stick in my mind as a formative moment in my life, however brief that moment was

Ahh, the hyper version of hyper-ballad. That was my moment of the festival!

53 minutes ago, ogriff said:

I was "at" Dolly, but had consumed a large amount of mushrooms and everything sounded like it was underwater.  

Apparently it was quite good fun, but not for the reasons I thought.

Chemical Brothers 2015, I only found out there wasnt actually a plane above the stage shooting lasers out when I got home and saw it on the beeb. Similar reasons to you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Of the festivals I tried to get a ticket for but missed, it's The Stones in 2013. I had never seen them and was desperate to see them, made do with the TV instead and really enjoyed them.

I binned off Blur in 09 as I just couldn't stand Damon Albarn at the time. In retrospect I wish I was there, although would the 2009 me enjoyed it, though I'm not sure. The 2019 me recognises it as an absolute banger and given the context of the show one of the greats.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This year gives me the opportunity to make amends for missing Mavis Staples a few years back ?

Have you heard this week’s mark maron interview on wtfpod with Mavis Staples? It’s great, she’s got a few stories to tell. Well worth a listen

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1026-mavis-staples

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Have you heard this week’s mark maron interview on wtfpod with Mavis Staples? It’s great, she’s got a few stories to tell. Well worth a listen

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1026-mavis-staples

Cheers.  Will check it out. She's lived a life for sure. Jeff Tweedy has a great anecdote about her and Bob Dylan still sending one another mash notes.