Excited by not having bands to see

zeppelin

So, like the rest of you I'm sure, I cannot wait to be back in the field in 11 days. 

Sometimes I feel like my whole year is building up to the festival week(end) and it's not yet disappointed.

However, for the first time since I started going (2009) I've got a day where there's not a single must see. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty I'd watch but nothing that grabs me and shouts "You'll regret missing this!". 

And that excites me!

There's so many areas and stages I've never been able to give the attention they deserve because my clashfinder is a sea of highlighted acts. But this year, on Sunday, I can wander and not feel like I'm missing out.

I've never experienced T&C properly - that will change.

I've never missed the headliners to hit up SEC early - that's got potential. 

There's a plethora of small stages I've never seen acts on - let's give it a go. 

So has anyone else ever had this? What do you guys all do when there's a barren run in terms of known acts?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

So, like the rest of you I'm sure, I cannot wait to be back in the field in 11 days. 

Sometimes I feel like my whole year is building up to the festival week(end) and it's not yet disappointed.

However, for the first time since I started going (2009) I've got a day where there's not a single must see. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty I'd watch but nothing that grabs me and shouts "You'll regret missing this!". 

And that excites me!

There's so many areas and stages I've never been able to give the attention they deserve because my clashfinder is a sea of highlighted acts. But this year, on Sunday, I can wander and not feel like I'm missing out.

There's a plethora of small stages I've never seen acts on - let's give it a go. 

So has anyone else ever had this? What do you guys all do when there's a barren run in terms of known acts?

I've got a few bits and pieces i don't want to miss but am going to try and find some of the 'secret' bars etc haha if,indeed, such things exist?

I'm going to try and make some of the Leftfield talks this year, haven't made it before. I've plenty of gaps so I'm looking forward to wandering. Speaking of Leftfield, I recommend Fontaines DC at 6pm Sunday, Kojaque in Pussy Parlure at 10pm Sunday and you can't go wrong with Black Madonna followed by Mr Fingers in NYC Downlow Sunday if you're staying up late ;) (I have clashes for these so will have to miss but I've seen them before so think they'll be great). 

We’ve got a lot of free space. We’ve decided to have a handful of must see acts and wing the rest. I am unbelievably excited to experience the festival in a different way. I don’t think we’ve got one act on the pyramid stage we’re desperate to see and it will be my first time having free time during peak headliner time! 

1 hour ago, WStoner said:

I've got a few bits and pieces i don't want to miss but am going to try and find some of the 'secret' bars etc haha if,indeed, such things exist?

Haha I've heard of them but never been to one. Sounds like a good plan! 

29 minutes ago, Fizzpop said:

I'm going to try and make some of the Leftfield talks this year, haven't made it before. I've plenty of gaps so I'm looking forward to wandering. Speaking of Leftfield, I recommend Fontaines DC at 6pm Sunday, Kojaque in Pussy Parlure at 10pm Sunday and you can't go wrong with Black Madonna followed by Mr Fingers in NYC Downlow Sunday if you're staying up late ;) (I have clashes for these so will have to miss but I've seen them before so think they'll be great). 

Yup, never seen a talk in Leftfield. Not a bad shout on Fontaines DC - been enjoying what I've heard on 6music! Ah man so I can't decide between Mr Fingers down NYC or Daniel Avery b2b Haai in the Beat Hotel. Either will be an amazing end! 

28 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

We’ve got a lot of free space. We’ve decided to have a handful of must see acts and wing the rest. I am unbelievably excited to experience the festival in a different way. I don’t think we’ve got one act on the pyramid stage we’re desperate to see and it will be my first time having free time during peak headliner time! 

Personally I think that's the best way. A few key acts then see what happens. Normally my "see what happens" consists of bands I'm less worried about. But who knows this year. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I don't understand this thread.

?

Ben

Haha I think it sounds like a criticism which it's not intended to be. 

I so often don't get to experience everything the festival has to offer because there's always something I want to watch. This year I've got some time to rectify that.

I can't think of any other festival where not having a band to see can be seen as a positive. 

9 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Haha I think it sounds like a criticism which it's not intended to be. 

I so often don't get to experience everything the festival has to offer because there's always something I want to watch. This year I've got some time to rectify that.

I can't think of any other festival where not having a band to see can be seen as a positive. 

Oh @zeppelin, if only I had the wherewithal to be able to just wing it occasionally. It doesn't sound in anyway like a criticism, it sounds like something I sometimes wish I could do!

Ben 

What you'll maybe come to realise is not so much that you'll be wandering without feeling like you're missing out, but that you have actually been missing out all along, and those bands were just getting in the way!

Any festival can put bands on, after all.

And after a few years you too can become a self righteous, smug so and so who'll only go north of the railway or west of Avalon in exceptional circumstances :D 

I feel you on this one. Listening to @Brave Sir Robin spotify playlist I've found so so many bands I want to watch, but very few still that I refuse to miss.

Every year i go i end up with less I'm dead set on seeing, and when I do they are often on smaller stages. I much prefer the festival this way. There is so much to discover and some of my best memories have just been things I've stumbled upon 

What worries me is the bands I do want to see on the smaller stages eg Let’s Eat Grandma, Elvana, Beans On Toast, loads of Williams Green and some of the mooted tbas might be stupidly rammed. 

Like some have said, there’s very few ‘not to be missed’, the change of mindset for me is letting it all just roll. 

4 hours ago, zeppelin said:

And that excites me!

Which is your clear day? Friday?

I'm in a very similar frame of mind.  Not many bands I am desperate to see but so excited ? to be going there.  Planning on doing a lot of the non musical things on site and hitting the smaller stages.  So much to do and see!  

Edit: when there is "barren run" I will be off to the greencraft field/T&C/Lost Horizon/stone dragons/Michael Eavis talk/Billy Bragg/Fat Boy/Glastonbury on Sea/Rabbit Hole/Crows Nest/the wood/talks/bars/food/healing field/etc/etc. 

Edited by gtf

8 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I'm incredibly headliner light this year .... Chems is a must .. but not really sure on the other nights .... how much does this empty the rest of the sight ? as I've always been at a headliner somewhere 

In 2017 me and a couple of my group hadn’t nothing really on the Sunday night, so we finally went up the ribbon tower and then got a head start on the last night of partying. The site felt like nobody was there it was amazing!