Kurt Vile vs. Liam Gallagher

DefLeppard

I appreciate that this is going to draw lots of Liam hate but the main clash I have yet to decide on is this (shout out to SVE as well but she's been pipped to it). 

I was excited for LG in 2017 but the sound quality was terrible and quiet from where I was standing so I left half way through the second song and went elsewhere, disappointed and feeling for him so I'm glad he's got another shot. His setlist is now even more Oasis-heavy and he appears to actually be taking things seriously and his voice is much better than it was 5-10 years ago. He has also been endearing himself to me more recently in interviews etc.

However, I would love to see Kurt Vile too... was anyone there in 2016? How was he?

At the moment I'm considering starting and staying if it's good or rushing off to the park if he sounds average.

Just now, DefLeppard said:

I appreciate that this is going to draw lots of Liam hate but the main clash I have yet to decide on is this (shout out to SVE as well but she's been pipped to it). 

I was excited for LG in 2017 but the sound quality was terrible and quiet from where I was standing so I left half way through the second song and went elsewhere, disappointed and feeling for him so I'm glad he's got another shot. His setlist is now even more Oasis-heavy and he appears to actually be taking things seriously and his voice is much better than it was 5-10 years ago. He has also been endearing himself to me more recently in interviews etc.

However, I would love to see Kurt Vile too... was anyone there in 2016? How was he?

At the moment I'm considering starting and staying if it's good or rushing off to the park if he sounds average.

Kurt Vile represents a particularly low point of my 2016 festival, which may or may not have anything to do with his performance, but I just remember it all being very one note (as is his style, I suppose) which combined with slipping and sliding all over the Park hill and the on-off rain plus exhaustion made for a bit of a 'fuck this' experience.

Guess it depends what you'd prefer. Liam is gonna be big boozey (and otherwise) sing alongs in a giant crowd. Kurt is gonna be a much quieter and chilled out affair. Guess you could always decide on the night depending on whatever state you're in. Liam all the way for me though, even if I do have to put up with a few shit solo songs to get to the bangers.

15 minutes ago, DefLeppard said:

Seen KV twice, once a time Glastonbury. I thought he was pretty boring live both times to be fair. I'm a big fan of the albums too, although not so keen on the recent one. 

I don't like LG so I'm probably not much help there. Probably worth going if you want to hear the Oasis songs. 

Edited by General Lee

34 minutes ago, DefLeppard said:

What's wrong with average? I'm not liking the increasing trend of people using 'average' to mean 'bad'

Kurt's set in 2016 was a pretty poor one, yeah. It didn't engage the audience at all. I think this year could be better because it's a little bit later so the throng who go to the Park at teatime to chat and eat nachos won't be there this time and it'll be a smaller but more attentive audience. 

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

What's wrong with average? I'm not liking the increasing trend of people using 'average' to mean 'bad'

I know what you mean... but if I go to a gig and it is average I have a decent time, no regrets and may see them again. If something is average while I am at Glastonbury I'll probably wander off because there is always plenty of better than average things going on. We're spoilt for choice.

1 minute ago, DJL said:

I know what you mean... but if I go to a gig and it is average I have a decent time, no regrets and may see them again. If something is average while I am at Glastonbury I'll probably wander off because there is always plenty of better than average things going on. We're spoilt for choice.

Does that not raise the 'average'?

There really is no contest here. LG on the Pyramid will be one for the ages I think. His voice was better at Old Trafford than any time I saw him with Oasis. He knows what tunes people want and he knows how well they’ll go down to a well oiled crowd. Everyone’s gonna be wrecked at that time.

Just go and watch Kurt Vile at whichever academy sized venue he’s playing next time he’s on tour. 

Just now, dentalplan said:

Does that not raise the 'average'?

I see what you are getting at and the word can be used inaccurately... but there are bad sets at Glastonbury too.  Liam Gallagher might (at least imo) be being bad on one stage whilst Kurt Vile is genuinely average on another... and I may still wander off. I'll go past anything bad or average in numerous places until stopping at something that I find good or great.  I really enjoy wandering (the journey is sometimes as good as the destination) and there is more choice at Glastonbury than just about anywhere else.

23 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

There really is no contest here. LG on the Pyramid will be one for the ages I think.

Have to agree, I imagine it'll be remembered as fondly as Oasis in 2004...

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'd just decide on the day if I were you OP. That's what I do with my really difficult clashes; see what mood I'm in. I'm sure you'll have a blast whichever you choose.

For me SVE > KV > anything else > LG so you can see why I can't offer unbiased advice. But I still think there's a lot to be said about how you're feeling at the time. You might fancy a massive Oasis singalong, alternatively a more intimate setting might be right up your alley. 

Edited by zeppelin
Weird capitalisation.

23 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Have to agree, I imagine it'll be remembered as fondly as Oasis in 2004...

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'd just decide on the day if I were you OP. That's what I do with my really difficult clashes; see what mood I'm in. I'm sure you'll have a blast whichever you choose.

For me SVE > KV > anything else > LG so you can see why I can't offer unbiased advice. But I still think there's a lot to be said about how you're feeling at the time. You might fancy a massive Oasis singalong, alternatively a more intimate setting might be right up your alley. 

Long time ago ?

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

But I still think there's a lot to be said about how you're feeling at the time. You might fancy a massive Oasis singalong, alternatively a more intimate setting might be right up your alley. 

You've hit the nail on the head. Other than being white men with guitars, there's not a lot of musical similarity between the two, so just go on mood at the time. If you feel like something big and anthemic, you're not going to enjoy Kurt Vile, if you want something intimate and lo-fi, you won't enjoy Liam.

This one needs to be decided on the night.

I saw KV in 2016 and since at a small indoor venue. 16 was not great due to weather and him not engaging crowd. It picked up towards end and I enjoyed last half but seeing in a small venue with dedicated audience transformed the experience. If he was playing JP I would be watching him this year but I will be at Sam Fender in Leftfield. LG never in consideration.