Times article - Emily Eavis

morph100

36 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

It’s a lot of cut n pasting, and if I were a more diligent bloke I’d remove all the photo shortcut code thingoes, but here it is and it’s a bloody good read ??

Out of upvotes but thank you for posting it! Great read, lovely piece. Super intrigued to know which headliner pulled out. Wonder if it was one of the big ones that was heavily rumoured last year?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Did you see/hear it? It was spectacularly bad.

Didn't see it, no. I'm sure it was.  But I'd argue against it being that important a factor. Led Zep were notoriously bad at Live Aid, but that also shouldn't influence any booking decisions if they ever get back together again.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

Somehow I don't think a dodgy performance on an absolutely cheeseball television competition is gonna put off the Eavi from booking Madonna. It's fucking Madonna. We're all aware of the 'will she/won't she' factors of her live performances and the setlist she plays but it would be an absolutely ginormous booking. Maybe a caveat of her playing the festival for the reduced fee was that it had to be the big one - one of the hold outs for 2020 that the Eavi mentioned in the run up to this years festival.

Anyway, major goosebumps reading that. I think there's already a pretty overbearing feeling of this years festival almost certainly not going down as a classic year (so-so headliners/lineup, looming bad weather etc), but reading all those little tidbits is as good a signifier as any that even a weaker than usual Glastonbury is significantly more special than any other festival due to the work and love put in.

'Twenty minutes later, I hear a scream: “F***! I’VE DONE IT! I’M GOIIIIIING'

and

'The Eavises have made a little kingdom of joy here, fuelled only by decades of exhilarating ideas made real, and there is nothing – nothing – else like it.'

Made me cry. I love this festival. 

Aw loved that article. You can tell when things are written by people who truly get Glastonbury themselves and how special it is. Some great moments as well. The bit about giving the French lad who turned up sandwiches and then not having enough for the Japanese tourists. 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Having seen Caitlin Moran walking across the Park in 2011 looking like she'd kipped in a bin it's probably fair to say that she takes it off the dial when she's there.

That is also wonderful to hear. I've followed her on Twitter for a long time and her husband Pete and it's fair to say that they love the festival like we do. 

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Having seen Caitlin Moran walking across the Park in 2011 looking like she'd kipped in a bin it's probably fair to say that she takes it off the dial when she's there.

she was dancing in front of me at West Holts one year (can't remember which band now) - and her and her mates all had Camp Kerala wristbands.

'if you have attended Glastonbury, chances are at least one thing that has happened here will be in the Best Bits montage that flashes before your eyes as you die.'

As someone who has done 14 in a row and has no ticket for this year this single line has me in f*cking bits...full on tears at the kitchen table stuff.  Suddenly I feel like I'm never going to go to those fields again.

Damn you Caitlin Moran.

Great great article though ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1