Times article - Emily Eavis

morph100

Many thanks for pasting the article here, murdoch paywall can bite my wedge.

Fantastic read though, CM can do a cracking job of pen on paper when she pulls the stops out.  So much fondness for the festival in the words and really does a good job of capturing the spirit of the family members.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I've often thought they should make a documentary about the build up, from ideas over the kitchen table in the autumn until the point the gates open.  It'd be ace!

I'd be all over that. A proper 12 month job, from cleanup to headliner booking/infrastructure to site build to festival itself and back to cleanup again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, parsonjack said:

'if you have attended Glastonbury, chances are at least one thing that has happened here will be in the Best Bits montage that flashes before your eyes as you die.'

As someone who has done 14 in a row and has no ticket for this year this single line has me in f*cking bits...full on tears at the kitchen table stuff.  Suddenly I feel like I'm never going to go to those fields again.

Damn you Caitlin Moran.

Great great article though ?

Are you going to try to get in by other means? With a trader or somehow? If you're local I would have thought there's a way if there's a will.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd be all over that. A proper 12 month job, from cleanup to headliner booking/infrastructure to site build to festival itself and back to cleanup again.

Yeah. “Big Project” documentaries seem to have a broad appeal to, e.g. Crossrail.

Prep for the 50th would be nice timing to pin it on.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I wonder if the festival has been putting away a bit of extra money to build a bit of a bank for the 50th headliners ... or would this just break the festival charity plans too much ?... and set a precident for future years ?

I think they've done that in the past as insurance against another Jay Z year. Michael was well stressed that year and won't want a repeat. I would have thought (but don't know), they will just get the best headliners they can next year as they do every year.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

BBC2 did one in the lead up to the 2000 festival following ME around, Jamie Theakston narrated it.

called ‘Glastonbury Man’

Great article.. loads of stuff I didn't know.  I love that it's written by someone who appreciates the festival in the same way we do.

As for Madonna headlining next year, I've seen her live twice and she can sing live perfectly well but she's always had some songs with a backing track so I've ways wondered how that would translate into Glastonbury, she seems like the obvious choice for the 50th though.