Struggling Enthusiasm

priest17

On 6/14/2019 at 11:33 PM, priest17 said:

No it's not a hidden gem on the line up...

Firstly, I get nearly everyone on here is hyped up to the max. I'm really not trying to take anything away from that and having been nearly every go for the last 10 years I'm very used to that. Hope everyones enjoying it.

But is anyone (like me) kind of struggling to drum up excitement for whatever reason? Whether it be work or mental health (both of these for me) or whatever else (not lineup or weather concerns)? It might just be me, a rule I have with the internet though is that if anyone asks if it's just them it definitely isnt.

We can maybe get each other out of the funk? I dunno. I'm a big fan of the place but I've not even started planning it yet. After coming on here every day through the fallow year, going through all the ticket stress, checking the headliner thread on nights out, to feel this disconnected less than 2 weeks away is getting me a bit down.

I hope this doesn't come across too dickish to anyone without a ticket, do feel free to shout abuse if it is.

Or just ignore this whole thing and let it float into page infinity obscurity ahah.

Peace x

So far as I can, I empathise. 

How ‘hyped’ you are is a personal thing and shouldn’t be measured against how others are feeling. It about you.

It can be difficult with the level of information provided online in the build up - especially given the fallow year.  Couple that with work, trying to get stuff done before you take a week off etc. You can get bogged down in minor details that really don’t matter.  It distracts from a fantastic event at the end.

A lot of people on this forum and online are a great font of information and are really engaged with festivals as they come together. However, the amount of information can be overwhelming. These pages are fab but maybe it’s consumed too much of your energy and you should consider if it’s worth stepping away from the online world for a few days.

Maybe talking to a close friend on the phone or face to face may be a better outlet for you between now and the start of the festival.  Give you chance to figure out what’s really important.

I’d suggest writing a list.  What’s important and what is not? What consumes your energy in a positive way and what does not?  Might help you prioritise and structure things for you.

Hope your funk lifts buddy!

On 6/14/2019 at 11:36 PM, faymondo said:

For me its the weakest musically since I have been going from 2010 but I know that random fun will fill my heart.

I am sure when you are there the release valve will happen and for 5 days you can forget about the outside world and have a ball ?

As in shall I say my age groups music bands it's the Weakest musically for a VERY VERY long time.. 

I don't know hardly any bands.... I am looking and getting some good stuff so that's a plus I would have liked a bit more music from 80s 90s 

Surppose I'm old enough to go to these special 80s 90s festivals they have lololol

Like many people on this thread I really struggled to get excited about this year. It’s been quite the saga. Shortly after the 2017 festival some of the friends that I usually go with and I had a falling out, which effectively ceased comms between us for many months. Come the build up to ticket day, the one I included the one that I was still on good terms with in our ticket whatsapp group – he subsequently added the other two to our details spreadsheet, with myself, another friend (G) and his girlfriend (A) in the same group of six. I thought it would be a good chance to reunite us all so didn’t take issue with this.

On the morning I got through to the details page and hammered in everyone’s details. I was notified that the details of three of group (those who I had fallen out with) were already in use and upon removing them and clicking proceed I was bounced out to the holding page. Never got another sniff. Turns out those three had hedged their bets and put themselves in two groups. I was heartbroken and after the initial shock (I didn’t eat for two days) it has had a lasting impact on me and my wellbeing. G doesn’t know those guys too well, and A doesn’t know them at all, so I blamed myself a lot for them missing out. It was to be A’s first Glastonbury too.

Jumping forward, we were unsuccessful in the resale, but managed to get loo crew with wateraid, with A getting the shepee team. While G has been hyper excited about going, it’s taken a long time for me to start feeling positive about this. Can one really get excited about cleaning toilets? I’m trying! It’s A’s first G, but her shifts are really unkind and I’m worried that she won’t get the true experience (Friday evening and Sunday night until 2am is missing significant periods of the action).

I’ve also had a fear of the other three bumping into me or seeing me clean the loos. After I posted in the volunteering thread last week one of them got in touch saying he was glad that I got tickets, turned out that he had seen my post. I issued a stern response saying that if they did see me not to talk to me. May sound harsh, but I didn’t hear a peep from one of them after T day apologising. Once I had done that it felt like a bit of weight off of my shoulders and I’ve finally been able to start thinking about how good it’s going to be getting back on site, cracking a warm John Smiths on the hill and skanking away to Craig Charles all afternoon on the Friday.

Out to everyone in this thread who have had much more serious things go wrong in their lives in the build up to the festival – hopefully everyone will have a great one!

Tl;dr: Deeply upset by getting screwed over by friends in ticket sale, managed to get loo crew, hadn’t been looking forward to it at all but got some closure and now the excitement is slowly building.

29 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

Jumping forward, we were unsuccessful in the resale, but managed to get loo crew with wateraid, with A getting the shepee team. While G has been hyper excited about going, it’s taken a long time for me to start feeling positive about this. Can one really get excited about cleaning toilets? I’m trying! It’s A’s first G, but her shifts are really unkind and I’m worried that she won’t get the true experience (Friday evening and Sunday night until 2am is missing significant periods of the action).

Worth remembering as well that there's no such thing as a single 'true experience' of Glastonbury.  Some people never venture far from the big stages, some people never leave the Greenfields (or T&C or the SE Corner), some people doze all day and party all night, some people are in bed by midnight and up for early breakfast.  

And if you're on site Monday or Tuesday, get yourself out to some of the crew bars in the evenings.  There's a whole lot of fun that happens before the public turns up that many of us look forward too as much as (if not more than) the actual show - for many that's their 'true experience'.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:21 AM, Arcticz Liam said:

This is the kind of topic I've been waiting for/looking for.

I struggle with anxiety and other MH issues a lot and I'm really struggling to find enthusiasm or excitement for this year, and it's only going to be my second one. 

The main thing for me (well, only reason) at the minute is the weather. My first was 2017 and it was perfect. I really struggle at festivals when the weather is bad and there's mud, as I feel I can't relax and have to be constantly watching where I'm walking/what I'm doing. I have OCD and don't do well with mess/mud ha! And the last week of constant rain where I am, and the doom and general misery being thrown around in the Weather topic isn't helping. I know it isn't something I should let affect me, but saying that to someone with pretty terrible anxiety issues and dodgy MH at the best of times is like telling a fire not to be hot.

I also know that this fear and stress doesn't compare half as much to other people's issues in here but I'm using it as a jumping off point ha! 

Big up to everyone who is struggling, and struggles, in here. You're all great and we'll inevitably have an absolute blast. Just shit in the run up init xoxo

I have been feeling the same... I am feeling so anxious.  I am going on my own although camping with an organised group some of whom I know as have camped there before. 2016 glasto was the start of a special time in my life that hasn't gone to plan and I am worried I will feel sad being there again.    I love the liberated feeling but I suffer with generalized anxiety disorder and sometimes struggle without someone who knows me and I overthink everything!!

Can anyone suggest good areas to go to if you are feeling a bit low or anxious??

3 minutes ago, jennilily said:

I have been feeling the same... I am feeling so anxious.  I am going on my own although camping with an organised group some of whom I know as have camped there before. 2016 glasto was the start of a special time in my life that hasn't gone to plan and I am worried I will feel sad being there again.    I love the liberated feeling but I suffer with generalized anxiety disorder and sometimes struggle without someone who knows me and I overthink everything!!

Can anyone suggest good areas to go to if you are feeling a bit low or anxious??

Green fields, park, west holts

Often find it doesn't properly hit me until I'm inside. Even the night before my brain often still seems to think we're not going.... right until it's time to go to bed and sleep becomes impossible.

That feeling getting through the gate though.?

On 6/16/2019 at 9:51 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I absolutely love Glastonbury and have been super excited, but it’s definitely waned a bit over the past few days. I think that’s simply because it’s close, yet still far away... still another full week of work, still another weekend to go.. it will really ramp up again at the start of next week when it’s in touching distance.

I did have one moment in 2016, after being stuck in traffic all day, missing the fireworks and dragging all my stuff through endless mud in the middle of the night with my then wife just to get to the gate, when I thought what am I doing? I’m mid thirties, not had kids yet.. perhaps I should be at home living a very different life.

I split up with my wife almost a year ago, we’re still on good terms but I’ve only ever been to Glastonbury with her, so I’m very much looking forward to doing it without her (with friends though) to worry about and look after, even though we only ever had great times together there.

Hello. Are you me? My wife and I had a "never again" moment in 2016 as well. We split this February (also still on good terms, thank God, we have a 2 year old) and I was lucky enough to get a friends and family ticket for the festival very late on. I'm also very much looking forward to not being stuck at the hip with someone the entire time and just taking everything at my own pace, even if I am going with a few friends, we're all going to be fairly independent. It's going to be exactly what I need after a tough year.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:21 AM, Arcticz Liam said:

This is the kind of topic I've been waiting for/looking for.

I struggle with anxiety and other MH issues a lot and I'm really struggling to find enthusiasm or excitement for this year, and it's only going to be my second one. 

The main thing for me (well, only reason) at the minute is the weather. My first was 2017 and it was perfect. I really struggle at festivals when the weather is bad and there's mud, as I feel I can't relax and have to be constantly watching where I'm walking/what I'm doing. I have OCD and don't do well with mess/mud ha! And the last week of constant rain where I am, and the doom and general misery being thrown around in the Weather topic isn't helping. I know it isn't something I should let affect me, but saying that to someone with pretty terrible anxiety issues and dodgy MH at the best of times is like telling a fire not to be hot.

I also know that this fear and stress doesn't compare half as much to other people's issues in here but I'm using it as a jumping off point ha! 

Big up to everyone who is struggling, and struggles, in here. You're all great and we'll inevitably have an absolute blast. Just shit in the run up init xoxo

I feel like I could have written this myself. It's my 4th Glastonbury and I know I'm extremely lucky to be going but I get so anxious about the weather because of my OCD too. It might sound stupid to someone who doesn't suffer with it, but I genuinely wake up in the night at the moment worrying about all the 'what ifs'. I know I could just avoid this anxiety by not going, but I don't want to miss out on things I love because of my MH condition.

I find the only thing that helps is totally avoiding all talk of weather at all. as often the thought of it is much worse than when it actually happens. Then you can always just assume it will stay dry/brighten up soon! 

I've been loads of times, and in the last few years the build-up excitement hasn't been the same. I think it's mainly because we can't party as hard as we used to.

On this basis, we've decided to take our kids for the first time this year and that's put a whole different perspective on it. I'm actually really looking forward to having a completely different kind of festival.

So for anyone feeling too jaded, maybe try switching it up somehow.

1 hour ago, jennilily said:

Take care of yourself.

Don't be shy about chatting to those you're camped with if you just need to get something off your chest and remember there are always welfare folks if you get really troubled.

6 hours ago, PaintedInSand said:

Hello. Are you me? My wife and I had a "never again" moment in 2016 as well. We split this February (also still on good terms, thank God, we have a 2 year old) and I was lucky enough to get a friends and family ticket for the festival very late on. I'm also very much looking forward to not being stuck at the hip with someone the entire time and just taking everything at my own pace, even if I am going with a few friends, we're all going to be fairly independent. It's going to be exactly what I need after a tough year.

Ha! We never had children (but we do share a dog) but the similarities are eerie!

I feel bad saying this in a way, because I’ve only ever been to Glastonbury with my ex and I only ever had a good time with her... but I’m definitely looking forward to experiencing it as a single person.

If you only broke up in Feb then G has come at the perfect time for you, you’re going to have a blast.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

6 hours ago, autoinflate said:

I've been loads of times, and in the last few years the build-up excitement hasn't been the same. I think it's mainly because we can't party as hard as we used to.

On this basis, we've decided to take our kids for the first time this year and that's put a whole different perspective on it. I'm actually really looking forward to having a completely different kind of festival.

So for anyone feeling too jaded, maybe try switching it up somehow.

I took my daughter for Friday and Saturday in 2017 and it really opened my eyes to so much i hadn’t seen before. She was 10 on the Friday and we did a lot of theatre and circus and kidzfield. We watched clean bandit on Friday and had the best time, this year she is coming in the Thursday and her younger brother on Saturday and Mrs Spider is picking up on Saturday evening. I thought I was done after last one I got tickets or in 2015 but this gave me a real lease of glasto life! 

For others with other issues leading into this years fest, I have never found a more welcoming, inclusive or friendly place than worthy farm and I hope you all stay safe and if you need to reach out to someone this is the best place for someone to be there.

8 hours ago, jennilily said:

am like you - get anxious especially in big crowds and the enormity of it all even though I've been 10 times.  I regularly of an evening go to the welfare tent just off the railway track near the south east corner exit coming from the east.  They have a fire going and benches where you can just sit and chill.  You can also take a break in the welfare tent if your struggling in some peace and quiet and you will be very well looked after.   You are sure to find me there probably every night at some point.  I've met and chatted to some lovely people there over the years

I also chill in the circus tent quite often, usually plenty of room and the acts are brilliant, so much so I get engrossed and forget about my anxiety

Edited by Aragorn

Firstly, I get nearly everyone on here is hyped up to the max. I'm really not trying to take anything away from that and having been nearly every go for the last 10 years I'm very used to that. Hope everyones enjoying it.

But is anyone (like me) kind of struggling to drum up excitement for whatever reason? Whether it be work or mental health (both of these for me) or whatever else (not lineup or weather concerns)? It might just be me, a rule I have with the internet though is that if anyone asks if it's just them it definitely isnt.

We can maybe get each other out of the funk? I dunno. I'm a big fan of the place but I've not even started planning it yet. After coming on here every day through the fallow year, going through all the ticket stress, checking the headliner thread on nights out, to feel this disconnected less than 2 weeks away is getting me a bit down.

I hope this doesn't come across too dickish to anyone without a ticket, do feel free to shout abuse if it is.

Or just ignore this whole thing and let it float into page infinity obscurity ahah.

Peace x

I got like that after 12 electric picnics. I wasnt really up for it anymore. Despite new attractions I was dreading it. Ended up loving it. Went again last year and had a belter. You might suprise yourself 

Peace x

Definitely not dickish and I'm sure you'll have a great time once you're on, so rely on that and be smug that it's soon. It may be a sign that you're just outgrowing it, for whatever reason too. If it is because you're in a bad place, then I hope all is well soon. I'm sure they will be if you keep on. Love.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Ha! We never had children (but we do share a dog) but the similarities are eerie!

I feel bad saying this in a way, because I’ve only ever been to Glastonbury with my ex and I only ever had a good time with her... but I’m definitely looking forward to experiencing it as a single person.

If you only broke up in Feb then G has come at the perfect time for you, you’re going to have a blast.

Likewise, only ever been with her, and had a blast every time (2016 ended up a bit of a slog, but we still had some great moments)

Yeah, whenever I say I'm looking forward to it as a single guy I get some winks and nudges, but I just wanna have my own space!

100% this is gonna be great for me to reset and let go. If you're coming to the efests meet, mate, I'll get you a drink. 

7 minutes ago, PaintedInSand said:

Likewise, only ever been with her, and had a blast every time (2016 ended up a bit of a slog, but we still had some great moments)

Yeah, whenever I say I'm looking forward to it as a single guy I get some winks and nudges, but I just wanna have my own space!

100% this is gonna be great for me to reset and let go. If you're coming to the efests meet, mate, I'll get you a drink. 

You've also only ever been with me. Should we break up too?