Tent anxiety!

Sara_out_west

Thought I’d get some input...

I’ve managed to bag myself a Vango Banshee 300 (second hand unused) - I don’t think I’ve ever had such a small tent!

I’m just trying to work out if I should get either the gear shelter or a tarp to extend the useable space, or not to bother. 

Factors that might influence a decision are:

- going solo

- camping in staff area 

- not taking much stuff i.e probably not cooking anything, and anything I do bring rather than what is needed for overnight will be stashed in the car/property lock up

- I might bring my 3 yr old in for a night/day, but not if it’s mudagedon

- million dollar question - the weather!

Personally i would just keep things to a minimum , i have used what can be described as play tents in the past.

Plenty of people will manage with what you have without the need for more equipment.

I found the nack was to stay out as long as possible , then sleep came easy !

• Upvote 1

I don't think I could manage in one of those, esp. if it's wet.  I'm weighing up splashing out (excuse pun) on a 4 man (for 2 of us) 1.9m tall tent just so we got somewhere dry that we can stand up in.

I guess you might be ok if you're with others and you're only using it to sleep in.

I suppose it will come down to whether it'll be wet, or not. However, if you intend to use the tent for other 'campaigns' which are or aren't festival related, then it might be worth the insurance to have an additional cheap tarpaulin as back up in the car too - along with some poles, guy ropes etc kind of thing. If it were to be a scorcher too, then this construction would allow you some shelter if you need to be around your tent for any length of time. 

Banshees are a bit of a coffin. Weatherproof etc you're fine but just so damn small. I'd suggest getting a more suitable tent than all the messing around with tarps etc - getting proper ones with some stretch so you can get it taut is expensive.

If you have time check what you can get from decathlon who seem to be winning the cheap but decent tents thing at the moment. 

I (6 foot, seventeen stone) did my last two in one of these. As long as you take the time to set up properly there's more than enough room in the little porches either side of the main tent for any wet/dirty gear and ample space in the main tent for everything else. As mentioned earlier it's not really one for lounging about in but does the job for everything else.