Boots or wellies?

Wallace

3 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

https://www.altberg.co.uk/

https://meindl.de/product-world/mountaineering-hiking/?lang=en

I’m not on commission but Altberg are as good as it gets..

Many folk don’t think twice about spending 120 quid on a pair of “Claire Rayners” but baulk at paying 200 quid on walking boots.  Folk are strange..

This is very true. I do loads of country hiking etc and when I upgraded from £90 boots (Merrells) to £150 boots (Scarpa) the difference was ridiculous in terms of comfort, blisters, stability, everything. I’ve run right thru the bottoms of those and I think Meindls will be next on my wish list ??

Guys, just remembered my Mrs has recently picked up two pairs of Brashers (recently taken over by Berghaus) leather boots. Dirt cheap because slight seconds or sent back for repairs, these had an eyelet missing.

Cost £30 from eBay, there’s an online shop

As this thread seems to be coming to a consensus that high-end walking boots are the right solution, I'm going to throw in an alternative viewpoint for balance.  Some people can just get away with wellies.  If you walk a lot, or you're just lucky with the shape of your feet, wellies might not give you blisters, 'Glastonbury toe', twisted ankles etc.  In 2005, 2007 and 2016, I spent the entire festival in wellies with absolutely zero problems, other than having a very slippery time in 2007 when I foolishly brought the type that yachtsmen use which have smooth soles.  I do have  walking boots, ranging from budget to posh (and gaters!), which I sometimes wear at Glastonbury.  However, as the terrain isn't rocky I'm not too worried about twisted ankles so when it's bone-dry I'm usually in Converse.  If it's very muddy I revert to wellies as I find getting them on/off less hassle - but of course that's down to personal preference.  Mine don't get sucked off in the mud, but presumably that's down to how well they fit you.

If you're only just considering buying high-end walking boots at this stage of your planning, you might be leaving things a bit late.  Good quality boots usually need breaking-in to avoid difficulties with blisters.  The process of breaking them in itself often gives you blisters, although you could try the old army trick of leaving your leather boots filled with piss overnight, if that appeals to you.  If you do get blisters during the festival, that can be pretty miserable - imagine paper towels gaffer taped to your heels sliding off within yards in a bloody, sweaty lump and the exposed flesh being freshly scraped...  Wellies can also create horrific problems with blisters through rubbing, but in many cases I'd say the problem is the socks rather than the (soft/flexible) wellies.  Top tip for anyone bringing wellies: get down to an army surplus store and get some NATO boot socks (or 'submarine socks' if you can find them - really good) - could save you a lot of pain.

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution - whether wellies or walking boots, if you haven't done a full day's walking in them prior to the festival, it's a bit of a gamble.

Oh, even as a walking boot wearer, I’ve got a decent pair of neoprene wellies that I’ve worn at a very wet and muddy Kendal Calling (it was water not mud!). I can wear them barefoot for short periods they fit that well

I used my Merrell goretex hiking boots for 2016 and was glad I did. My first Glasto (great start!) so I guess I tried to cram too much in, but I needed the longer-term support and firmness given the amount of stage hopping - wellies would have been too loose and sluggish.  I also had a set of gaiters (cheap on ebay etc for maybe £8 or so) which extend further up the legs for more protection. Worked great- the bummer being putting them on in the morning and (especially) taking them off, covered in slime, when you finally crash out in your tent...!

All this thread has done has reminded me again of borderline obsessions.

Wellies, wheeled baggage and umbrellas are pretty much viewed as apparatus of the devil in this household.

I am not sure if I have enlightened my family or poisoned their minds ?

17 hours ago, Flysheet said:

Guys, just remembered my Mrs has recently picked up two pairs of Brashers (recently taken over by Berghaus) leather boots. Dirt cheap because slight seconds or sent back for repairs, these had an eyelet missing.

Cost £30 from eBay, there’s an online shop

Just had a look at these on ebay, not sure I'd be happy buying them with the top eyelet missing (look at the photos here) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASHER-MENS-UK-7-8-9-10-11-12-BROWN-LEATHER-COUNTRY-WALKER-BOOTS-RRP-120-HIKE/372296236532

I received the Hi-Tec boots mentioned earlier in this thread, and will be returning them; they don't fit (too small) and also because my I now have a little more knowledge on walking boots.  I've just purchased these instead (£120 down to £72 with free delivery):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Brasher-Men-s-Country-Trekker-Walking-Boots/132816520230

They have eVent(R) waterproof technology and from what I've read this is just a slightly cheaper alternative to GoreTex, but almost as good.  Also - Brasher seems to be a good brand that Berghaus (a very good brand) have recently purchased. 

I've gleaned these little parcels of knowledge from this thread so just wanted to say thanks guys!

Wallace, they will see you right I’m sure and decent price. 

Let me know how you get on with them ?  anyway, it’s going to be dry !

I am down there on my own this year volunteering with WaterAid and will most likely be wearing some sort of Manchestoh / Factory Records based black T shirt and Sunflower covered trilby.  

Some boots based beer banter is due...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

I received the Hi-Tec boots mentioned earlier in this thread, and will be returning them; they don't fit (too small) and also because my I now have a little more knowledge on walking boots.  I've just purchased these instead (£120 down to £72 with free delivery):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Brasher-Men-s-Country-Trekker-Walking-Boots/132816520230

They have eVent(R) waterproof technology and from what I've read this is just a slightly cheaper alternative to GoreTex, but almost as good.  Also - Brasher seems to be a good brand that Berghaus (a very good brand) have recently purchased. 

I've gleaned these little parcels of knowledge from this thread so just wanted to say thanks guys!

That’s a good shout. eVent is good gear

On 6/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, Tartan_Glasto said:

If the mud is like that of 2016 (very think, sticky, clay-like mud) then a good pair of boots are defo the best option. That kind of mud sucks your welly in and your foot just pops out and your either falling over or stepping into the mud in your sock before you've even noticed your welly is left behind. 

Totally disagree, I started off wearing my walking boots but found it much easier to get around once I switched to my wellies. Also the mud kept clumping up on my boots.When it's less muddy I do prefer walking boots though. I'm taking both

1 hour ago, Helsbels said:

Totally disagree, I started off wearing my walking boots but found it much easier to get around once I switched to my wellies. Also the mud kept clumping up on my boots.When it's less muddy I do prefer walking boots though. I'm taking both

Pedant alert (sorry),  The thread is titled Boots Or Wellies? 

To be fair, travelling down on the train and camping for a week, it’s deffo one or tother.  Need space for Brandy and duds