Boots or wellies?

Wallace

IMO, depends how muddy it is. Boots are my go to, much more comfortable to spend a day in, but once the mud gets ankle high, wellies come into their own. This far out its hard to tell, but looks like it may be a muddy one.

Not much help if you're buying them now, but a compromise might be some good quality, padded wellies?

If you have the cash, Altberg or Meindl.

i have both and both are superb. Just had the Meindl boots resoled at a professional boot gaff.  They are ten years old and the chap said I would get another ten years from them.

i readily admit to being a bit of a kit obsessive but boots underpin life.  Damp feet equals damp soul. Just work on the old adage of buying cheap results in buying twice..

• Upvote 1

After many years of different weathers I would always go for good walking boots (and just walk around deep water). They are so much more comfortable, no chaffing on your calf's, more supportive. And Vouging  in my gold lamay hot pants I can tell you now, I  look the dogs!

• Like 1

If the mud is like that of 2016 (very think, sticky, clay-like mud) then a good pair of boots are defo the best option. That kind of mud sucks your welly in and your foot just pops out and your either falling over or stepping into the mud in your sock before you've even noticed your welly is left behind. 

• Upvote 1

I have  a pair Altbergs  and they are still going strong  after 7 or so years, if you have a GO Outddoors near by I would go and get a pair of Gortex walking boots plus wellies, don’t forget to take the insole out of your walking boots and put in the wellies when you use them or just buy a good insole for them.

I hope this helps.

21 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Thanks for the tips guys, I've ordered a pair of these:

https://www.millets.co.uk/footwear/080546-hi-tec-mens-pathfinder-ii-walking-boot-dark-grey.html

£100 reduced to £60, must be half decent

Hate to sound churlish, they won’t be bad but £100 is nothing to pay for a decent walking boot. These are for walking along footpaths in the countryside, not wading through mud. You’ll be glad of them though after a couple of days on the farm. I spend a lot of time in boots btw in some pretty serious conditions in the hills.

Cheap Leather you should be ok for a wet festival but they won’t last overly long (Hitec very much a budget boot). Unless these material ones are Goretex, they ain’t gonna be much cop for a wet festival. I ended up with trenchfoot at BD one year when my old goretex ones started leaking.

Eh, I still have time to cancel the order, can you recommend any others? I'm really on a budget for these tbh.  I had a cheap pair on my last trip in 2016 and they were fine for me, I'd love to use them again but as I mentioned above they went missing.

Not necessarily a recommendation but I’ve got these: https://www.nike.com/gb/t/lunar-force-1-18-duckboot-5KZcmL/BQ7930-003?nst=0&cp=euns_kw_pla!uk!goo!cssproducts!m!!!302968026955&ds_rl=1252249&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1f_wp_rq4gIVJjPTCh15SwWDEAkYASABEgJVkvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’m sure there are proper boots that are far better but they’re comfortable waterproof and relatively stylish. I bought them to walk the dog in when it’s muddy, not for Glastonbury... but I’m very much looking forward to not wearing wellies for the first time and wearing these*

*Obviously the preference is to not have to wear these either but should the worst happen...

9 hours ago, Wallace said:

Eh, I still have time to cancel the order, can you recommend any others? I'm really on a budget for these tbh.  I had a cheap pair on my last trip in 2016 and they were fine for me, I'd love to use them again but as I mentioned above they went missing.

Can you swap for a leather pair?

19 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

If the mud is like that of 2016 (very think, sticky, clay-like mud) then a good pair of boots are defo the best option. That kind of mud sucks your welly in and your foot just pops out and your either falling over or stepping into the mud in your sock before you've even noticed your welly is left behind. 

Boots are great if the mud is not too deep and like you say they're secure on your feet. However if they're not so good when the mud gets very deep, as 2007. That year I arrived Wednesday in trainers, was in boots by Thursday and by Saturday only wellies would keep feet dry. Hope history is never repeated!

Buy a higher ankled walking boot.  It’s the way forward. Wellies are just absolutely shit from an orthopaedic perspective. They should be worn for an hour or two, not days. Cock all grip and cock all cushioning.

i wore walking boots for the 6 days of the 2016 experience and never once “over-topped”

15 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Buy a higher ankled walking boot.  It’s the way forward. Wellies are just absolutely shit from an orthopaedic perspective. They should be worn for an hour or two, not days. Cock all grip and cock all cushioning.

i wore walking boots for the 6 days of the 2016 experience and never once “over-topped”

Likewise 

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Respect High ankle booted brother

Spend a big chunk of time trekking across peat bogs and climbing big hills 

My winter boots would be a bit over the top mind for Glasto 

They look like a really good safety / site boot but I’m not convinced about how waterproof they would be for several days in Somerset.

as has been stated further up, if you want to stay dry then a goretex boot or similar material is the only safe option.

wellies would also do that but with all the negatives previously mentioned.

i spent a considerable amount of my earlier years in the military in all sorts of terrifying places and can’t overstate that if you can afford it, then spend a few bob on good boots and treat them as per the manufacturer guidance.  They will last the rest of your festivalling life.

• Upvote 1

https://www.altberg.co.uk/

https://meindl.de/product-world/mountaineering-hiking/?lang=en

I’m not on commission but Altberg are as good as it gets..

Many folk don’t think twice about spending 120 quid on a pair of “Claire Rayners” but baulk at paying 200 quid on walking boots.  Folk are strange..

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

They look like a really good safety / site boot but I’m not convinced about how waterproof they would be for several days in Somerset.

as has been stated further up, if you want to stay dry then a goretex boot or similar material is the only safe option.

wellies would also do that but with all the negatives previously mentioned.

i spent a considerable amount of my earlier years in the military in all sorts of terrifying places and can’t overstate that if you can afford it, then spend a few bob on good boots and treat them as per the manufacturer guidance.  They will last the rest of your festivalling life.

Thanks for your response, will look into getting a goretex boot