Where to buy camping gear? (London)

gearbm95

Coming over from NY and bringing no camping gear so we’ll need to buy in London. Does anyone know of a chain of stores similar to Target or a sporting goods/outdoors store near the O2 arena where we can buy gear?

We only need a small 2 person tent, sleeping bag, and a sleeping mat. Trying to go very light as we’ll have to fly home with everything we bought.

I have done similar before, coming from Australia.

We went to Argo's and they had pretty decent stuff that lasted the weekend, and we could give to our UK friends to keep after the festival. However, this was 2013 and it was a dry year, not sure on what the quality would be like if it's wet (it won't be though!).

You could also try Cotswold Outdoor if you want something of better quality, they seem to have a few London stores.

Decathlon is the obvious answer. They've got a huge store close to Canda Water tube station, which is 2 stops away from North Greenwich (for the O2) on the Jubilee line.

You can browse the range online to get an idea, and if you want you can order for collection if you want to save time and/or guarantee particular items. Though for whatever reason, looking at it right now it seems like only about 10% of the range is showing.

Most of my kit comes from there, I've always found them to be a good combination of fairly cheap while still being better quality than most of the stuff you get in the big chains here.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, incident said:

Decathlon is the obvious answer. They've got a huge store close to Canda Water tube station, which is 2 stops away from North Greenwich (for the O2) on the Jubilee line.

You can browse the range online to get an idea, and if you want you can order for collection if you want to save time and/or guarantee particular items. Though for whatever reason, looking at it right now it seems like only about 10% of the range is showing.

Most of my kit comes from there, I've always found them to be a good combination of fairly cheap while still being better quality than most of the stuff you get in the big chains here.

Decathlon also have a new store in Charlton, a short bus ride from the O2.  Smaller than Surrey Quays but we'll stocked.

(Although they call it Greenwich.  Really?  As bad as estate agents!) 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/en/stores/sport-store-decathlon-greenwich-MS_0070207902079.html

On 6/14/2019 at 7:13 PM, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Decathlon also have a new store in Charlton, a short bus ride from the O2.  Smaller than Surrey Quays but we'll stocked.

(Although they call it Greenwich.  Really?  As bad as estate agents!) 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/en/stores/sport-store-decathlon-greenwich-MS_0070207902079.html

I managed to get my tent, roll mat, sleeping bag, wellies and a mallet in one go from there over the weekend. I would definitely recommend reserving online so you know what's in stock

Edited by LondonManGlastoFan