Jump to content
thetime

Football 19/20

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The number one priority is the result being accurate/as close as possible to accurate. Anything else is shite. Yay! We celebrated our goal, but lost unfairly. Yay!

If we are aiming as close for complete accuracy as possible, then we should be assessing every borderline decision a referee makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The number one priority is the result being accurate/as close as possible to accurate. Anything else is shite. Yay! We celebrated our goal, but lost unfairly. Yay!

Theres a limit though. Going to VAR for someones finger nail being offside or not....

 

That City stuff at the weekend was a shambles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

If we are aiming as close for complete accuracy as possible, then we should be assessing every borderline decision a referee makes.

I reckon the game will evolve over the next decades where human refs won't be needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

nope. I've got no problem with goal-line technology as one example of a change I'm happy to accept. It's instantaneous, and 100% free of subjectivism.

I have huge problems with the justification for VAR being given here, because that says "every rule must be 100% enforced" - which means that the extent of VAR isn't finished yet, and there's even more slow-downs of the game to come.

It's the slow-down of the game that's my biggest concern about VAR.

 

but change for change's sake is not.

VAR is being done because it can be, and not because a full evaluation of the effects on the game has been done to prove it a worthwhile change.

And it's something that been driven from a self-serving club perspective - to try to take away the lucky wins by more-lowly teams, which feeds into a huge part of footie's popularity. It means the hope of winning for lesser teams is reduced and consequently so is the (overall) interest of the fans of those teams.

The evidence is that the game as it has been has made football the most popular game in the world.

And very logically, changing how the game plays out gets to mean that it's popularity might change too - but VAR advocates never mention that side, just how they feel VAR will benefit the results of the team they support.

Would it have become that most popular game with fewer talking points and less hope for a win by lower teams? Who knows, but it's a very reasonable consideration to think over.

You said: "and football needs changing because...?" which implied you didn't think football needed to change at all. 

A evaluation on its effect is very difficult until you gain significant data from it being used. That is what is being done now. 

VAR will get quicker, I have no doubt in my mind. They will listen to feedback, it will just take time. 

Any evidence VAR has been introduced to stop lower teams getting 'lucky' wins? And do you have any evidence that there is significantly less hope for a smaller team beating a bigger team with VAR in place? 

VAR being in place may well effect the popularity of the game, just like any change could. It may well could attract more fans. I know a lot of people put off football due to diving, VAR could eliminate that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

You said: "and football needs changing because...?" which implied you didn't think football needed to change at all. 

A evaluation on its effect is very difficult until you gain significant data from it being used. That is what is being done now. 

VAR will get quicker, I have no doubt in my mind. They will listen to feedback, it will just take time. 

Any evidence VAR has been introduced to stop lower teams getting 'lucky' wins? And do you have any evidence that there is significantly less hope for a smaller team beating a bigger team with VAR in place? 

VAR being in place may well effect the popularity of the game, just like any change could. It may well could attract more fans. I know a lot of people put off football due to diving, VAR could eliminate that. 

Great post.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

:lol: - how do you think that can happen?

If goals are up for review then given the game that football is, that review can *never* be anything like instantaneous.
(they might get close to that with some goals but not for every goal).

Which means fans won't know if it's a goal or not or whether to celebrate or not. That's a fixed consequence of review.

If the reviews are rare (which they should be in my opinion, only clear and obvious errors) then fans will still celebrate as they usually would. 

This is seen in many other sports that use video review. Rugby and cricket are a couple of examples off the top of my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares what historical event might have been changed? Its irrelevant.

VAR is the future of the game. Get with it or pick up another hobby.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Nice. Real nice.

It needs to be made clear that use of the “eye roll” emoji does not add credibility to one’s argument.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

How will VAR goal reviews get quicker?

The main way would be for the video refs to just speed up their decision making (perhaps a time limit). Also, make sure VAR is only used for clear and obvious errors. Any marginal 'errors' should not be looked at in detail (if video refs are having to look three, four times it isn't a clear and obvious error). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Get with it or pick up another hobby.

And that is the exact reason people have concerns.

That plenty will go and do something else instead of watch football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Nal you don't see the tech improving over time?

Course but it was a genuine question. They can't speed up time to review the goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kaosmark2 said:

And that is the exact reason people have concerns.

That plenty will go and do something else instead of watch football.

There will be leagues in the world without VAR. Go watch them? The League of Ireland for example. It wont get VAR before we're all dead.

Rubbish standard but you'll be able to cheer on a goal or two. If youre lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Nice. Real nice.

because what it was in reply to was so very grown up and intellectual...? :lol: 

If you say something moronic, it's fair game for it to be pointed out. No one suggested what you posted, so why post it like someone had? ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

because what it was in reply to was so very grown up and intellectual...? :lol: 

If you say something moronic, it's fair game for it to be pointed out. No one suggested what you posted, so why post it like someone had? ;) 

Have a go at my opinions but keep the insults to yourself Neil. We know each other long enough at this stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If we are aiming as close for complete accuracy as possible, then we should be assessing every borderline decision a referee makes.

spot on - woody's justification for VAR means that we've not seen nothing yet. It means *EVERY* piece of action *MUST* be up for review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I reckon the game will evolve over the next decades where human refs won't be needed.

you've never worked out that the view of most football incidents is a subjective one? :blink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Have a go at my opinions but keep the insults to yourself Neil. We know each other long enough at this stage.

your whole post was an insult, by you pretending it's what I'd said. :rolleyes:

Grow the fuck up, &/or learn to take your own shit back at you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

If the reviews are rare (which they should be in my opinion, only clear and obvious errors) then fans will still celebrate as they usually would. 

OK, fair enough, so you don't want the game VAR'd accurately.

Care to say what the purpose of VAR is to you then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Who cares what historical event might have been changed? Its irrelevant.

VAR is the future of the game. Get with it or pick up another hobby.

 

Glad to see you recognise and accept the argument I've been making - because some *WILL* be picking another hobby and no extras will flood in because of an anally-retentive working of the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

The main way would be for the video refs to just speed up their decision making (perhaps a time limit).

so what you're saying is that you want VAR but you don't much care if a VAR ruling is actually accurate...? 

I think that's probably the maddest one I've seen so far. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

There will be leagues in the world without VAR. Go watch them? The League of Ireland for example. It wont get VAR before we're all dead.

Rubbish standard but you'll be able to cheer on a goal or two. If youre lucky.

What a stupid argument. Go watch different leagues without your team if something that's being rolled out across all the top leagues is ruining the game for you.

Everyone who is finding VAR is detracting from their experience, even if they were in favour of VAR at one point, is going to stop watching football, not transfer allegiances.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

OK, fair enough, so you don't want the game VAR'd accurately.

Care to say what the purpose of VAR is to you then?

Erm... Not what I said. Can VAR not be quick and accurate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...