Football 19/20

thetime

17 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

If Abameyang gets Arsenal back in the championship league then hopefully they can create some new jobs.

I don't really understand the link between playing and non playing staff. Arsenal will need good footballers in September they may not need the same level of hospitality and admin staff if the stadiums are empty. I hope these people get their jobs back in the future, but the truth is the same staff aren't needed in September 2020 that were needed in September 2019.

Exactly, businesses (no matter how wealthy they are) do not have to keep on staff indefinitely just for a 'goodwill'. Many of the staff leaving would have been getting paid for the last few months for doing nothing/very little. It is unfortunate that they have lost their jobs and I do feel for them but that is just how business works. If they were invaluable to Arsenal, they would not have left. 

Which brings me onto my next point, Aubameyang is essential to Arsenal football club and is rightly being offered a contract that reflects his value (the amount of money he earns the club and potential income he can contribute to if Arsenal are successful in the future). Auba is an asset, the staff who have been released are not. 

24 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Exactly, businesses (no matter how wealthy they are) do not have to keep on staff indefinitely just for a 'goodwill'. Many of the staff leaving would have been getting paid for the last few months for doing nothing/very little. It is unfortunate that they have lost their jobs and I do feel for them but that is just how business works. If they were invaluable to Arsenal, they would not have left. 

Which brings me onto my next point, Aubameyang is essential to Arsenal football club and is rightly being offered a contract that reflects his value (the amount of money he earns the club and potential income he can contribute to if Arsenal are successful in the future). Auba is an asset, the staff who have been released are not. 

I can make sense of most of what you're saying until I get to that last line which is gross.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Remember when strikers used to be the most coveted players in the game? It seems that quality defenders are the hardest to come by these days judging from Madrid's display...

Not many around. 

That's why ake costs 40m and maguire costs 80m. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

No booing of the Champions League anthem at the Etihad tonight. Proof it had nothing to do with a moral stance and everything to do with the court case

I was boo'ing from the couch. Do you have any idea why we actually boo? 

Don't really know what to say. Out playing Real Madrid home and away is beyond my wildest dreams. Its kind of hard to take in.

Its opened right up now with Juve getting beat, although Lyon were a lot better than us in the games last year. Will never have a better chance to go on and win it.

Edited by eastynh

13 hours ago, jyoung said:

I can make sense of most of what you're saying until I get to that last line which is gross.

It is true though, it is the nature of business. 

I do feel empathy for people who lose there jobs, it is undoubtedly difficult to deal with. Despite this, I think too many people just complain every time a business makes some staff redundant. It is unfortunate but necessary (in most cases). The staff who are made redundant are clearly the staff deemed less important and therefore less of an asset to the company.  

My company can't 'do' a load of the things it was 'doing' before Covid. Instead of letting go of the staff that help 'do' those things (some of whom have done so for 15+ years and know the company inside and out), it's restructured it's roles and temporarily moved them into other positions where their skills can be used. It doesn't need to be this cut throat, dog eat dog world. The balance of risk and reward is currently too high.

15 minutes ago, jyoung said:

My company can't 'do' a load of the things it was 'doing' before Covid. Instead of letting go of the staff that help 'do' those things (some of whom have done so for 15+ years and know the company inside and out), it's restructured it's roles and temporarily moved them into other positions where their skills can be used. It doesn't need to be this cut throat, dog eat dog world. The balance of risk and reward is currently too high.

If you are restructuring your scouting department, what roles do you see these scouts doing?

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

If you are restructuring your scouting department, what roles do you see these scouts doing?

I don't understand that one though. Do they not need to watch league opposition play? Do they not need to scout potential signings? Scout youth players? Monitor the progress of their loan players? Watch the first team on international duty? Data analysis? Tactical reports? 

If Arsenal are in trouble with money, it's might actually be worth investing into the recruitment department and supporting the scouts that discover Fabregas, van Persie and Bellerin, saving the club millions and then ultimately making the club millions in transfer fees rather than offering 350k a week contracts to single individuals who doesn't even make the squad.

By definition someone made redundant is no longer required. If arsenal have made redundancies they will have attempted to find alternative employment for those staff affected first. 

They may have achieved this for lots of other staff.

They may have used COVID as a means to act like thunderc**ts. 

This faux outrage without the facts is tiresome. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I don't understand that one though. Do they not need to watch league opposition play? Do they not need to scout potential signings? Scout youth players? Monitor the progress of their loan players? Watch the first team on international duty? Data analysis? Tactical reports? 

If Arsenal are in trouble with money, it's might actually be worth investing into the recruitment department and supporting the scouts that discover Fabregas, van Persie and Bellerin, saving the club millions and then ultimately making the club millions in transfer fees rather than offering 350k a week contracts to single individuals who doesn't even make the squad.

That's a business decision by Arsenal, I dont think they have got rid of every scout, but it's perfectly valid to look at how you do player recruitment. Maybe modern technology means you can do things different in 2020 and don't need as many boots on the ground.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Making staff redundant has a lot of logistical hoops to get through. One of those is proving that the staff who are leaving can not be offered alternative employment. Unions will hold them to account if they don't do this. 

Getting rid of staff (on permanent contracts) is actually very difficult in the UK and you need a good reason.  

Edited by CRW5252

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Wolves failed FFP. Bit funny how the purveyors of all that is righteous on here have failed to mention it 🤷‍♂️

Do you just post when Kevin Cummins tweets? Or do you just have the same opinion. 🤨

Could be there is no wolves fans on here, to get the rise from.