Football 19/20

thetime

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Only went to old Wembley twice, as detailed above.

I watch England pretty regularly these days and have been to the new one dozens of times for internationals, gigs and NFL.

Only seen West Brom there twice though, both 1-0 defeats.

It’s funny what changes your routines and tradition. I used to go to most England games at Wembley over quite a long period of time. I first started at a World Cup qualifier against Poland - Neil Webb scored which should give an idea of what year it was. 

After the ‘wally with the brolly‘ game, I made a decision to give the next few a miss.

Apart from one game against Scotland I’ve not been back to Wembley for an England match since. I can’t say I’ve missed it. 

3 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

It’s funny what changes your routines and tradition. I used to go to most England games at Wembley over quite a long period of time. I first started at a World Cup qualifier against Poland - Neil Webb scored which should give an idea of what year it was. 

After the ‘wally with the brolly‘ game, I made a decision to give the next few a miss.

Apart from one game against Scotland I’ve not been back to Wembley for an England match since. I can’t say I’ve missed it. 

I got into watching England regularly about 3-4 years ago. Living down in London and having a young family means I don’t get up to West Brom half as much as I used to. Going to watch England became a way to get a semi-regular football fix.

It’s also quite nice to go with mates who support other club side and us all actually supporting the same side.

It’s just not the same as watching club football though.

I’m losing the love for club football too. But that’s what happens when you sell your purpose built home and rent a badly bodged athletics track instead. Taking in far more non-league football than before and spending my hard earned on future cricketing tours instead of football is more and more appealing too. 

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Did you go to the old full members cup final against Chelsea? 

No mate, I would have been 7. My dad is a rag so did not take me to my first match till I was about 9 (The season we got promoted). I did not start going regulary till I got a paper round when I was 12.

3 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

I’m losing the love for club football too. But that’s what happens when you sell your purpose built home and rent a badly bodged athletics track instead. Taking in far more non-league football than before and spending my hard earned on future cricketing tours instead of football is more and more appealing too. 

I have found my love for club football waning as well. Largely due to moving 10 years ago and not getting to much games. I have also found trust membership has resulted in loads of fan politics and it just doesn't seem as fun anymore.

11 hours ago, thetime said:

41m for Ake 🤣

I have only really seen him against us and he has been on the receiving end of some hidings. But, he has looked absolutely rapid, which is exacly what we need. 

Now I have not seen him play enough to comment on his abilities. How much would you consider him to be worth? Remember you have paid 80 million for Harry Maguire, who just looks like a slow Richard Dunne (Thats not an insult as Dunne was very under rated and a very good Premier League and international defender).

The worrying thing for everyone else is that with Ake's pace and Torres on the wing, we have strengthened weak points. We have only spent the Sane money, so we can expect more signings to come.

41 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The worrying thing for everyone else is that with Ake's pace and Torres on the wing, we have strengthened weak points. 

Perhaps wait until they start playing, before making claims city have strengthened.

You would imagine city will finish 2nd, no matter who they buy.

12 minutes ago, thetime said:

Perhaps wait until they start playing, before making claims city have strengthened.

You would imagine city will finish 2nd, no matter who they buy.

Thats a fair point. With the loss of David Silva, we are currently a lot weaker going into next season, than we were into last season.

I was more interested in your appraisal of Ake. You think 41 million in laughable. I have not seen enough of him to comment whether it is good value or not. Is Harry Maguire really twice the player Ake is?

RE Ake. I've watched a lot of him since leaving Chelsea. When he left, I would have liked him to stay but we simply weren't giving younger players opportunities back then. He's good with the ball at his feet, he's quick and he's also a threat going forward for corners. He's not going to be one of those CB leaders in the team like VVD or Rice but I think he will slot into City's back line fairly well and probably ultimately improve his game. Pep will enjoy his versatility as he can play CB, cover at LB and even move into DM if needed. Other clubs might prefer to spend on someone who's out and out in their position but we've seen Pep move players out of position and around the pitch with success. Is he worth 40m? How long is a piece of string. I don't think other top six sides will be kicking themselves for missing out on the deal but I do think it is a signing which will work for City. I look forward to seeing how he gets on and wish him well. Now I'm hoping Chelsea make improvements to their back line.

Edited by jyoung

22 minutes ago, jyoung said:

RE Ake. I've watched a lot of him since leaving Chelsea. When he left, I would have liked him to stay but we simply weren't giving younger players opportunities back then. He's good with the ball at his feet, he's quick and he's also a threat going forward for corners. He's not going to be one of those CB leaders in the team like VVD or Rice but I think he will slot into City's back line fairly well and probably ultimately improve his game. Pep will enjoy his versatility as he can play CB, cover at LB and even move into DM if needed. Other clubs might prefer to spend on someone who's out and out in their position but we've seen Pep move players out of position and around the pitch with success. Is he worth 40m? How long is a piece of string. I don't think other top six sides will be kicking themselves for missing out on the deal but I do think it is a signing which will work for City. I look forward to seeing how he gets on and wish him well. Now I'm hoping Chelsea make improvements to their back line.

So he sounds absolutely perfect for City then. The expectation is that he will not be first choice cb, but will get plenty of games due to his versatity. The fact he can cover lb will be a god send. Mendy can't be relied upon ufortunately, hence Delph and Zinchenko have been deployed as emergency lb's. He can also cover Laporte at left cb. 

Thanks for the appraisal. If we manage to get Koulibaly as well, we will be well set.

As an aside, is Efests going to get behind City on Friday, against Madrid?

46 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Thats no bad thing is it? I remember Potts being a more than decent player. 

It was a compliment. Rarely takes the headlines with a marauding 10/10 performance.

Perhaps more importantly almost never makes rash decisions that directly lead to goals being conceded. Reads the game well, Solid 8/10 week in week out, and does so with the minimum of fuss on and off the pitch. Comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

Needs a strong type to play next to. 

That’s my limited impression of watching him live. Could be way off of course and other opinions are available.