Football 19/20

thetime

Gets your bets in early doors on SPOTY!

Seriously though, what he’s doing is incredible. The best part is people like Matt Hancock were quick enough to round on footballers and ask them to help - which they were already in the process of doing. Let’s see if the government do the same now a football is calling on them? My bet is no.

just in case it's passed anyone by, lots of matches will be broadcast by Sky free-to-view on Pick (channel 11) on Freeview.

These are the 'free' matches arranged to-date...

Date Time Match Channel
Fri June 19 6pm Norwich vs Southampton Pick - Channel 11
Sat June 20 7:45pm Bournemouth v Crystal Palace BBC
Sun June 21 2pm Newcastle vs Sheff Utd Pick - Channel 11
Sun June 21 7pm Everton vs Liverpool Pick - Channel 11
Wed June 24 6pm Norwich v Everton BBC
Wed June 24 6pm Man Utd vs Sheff Utd Pick - Channel 11
Thu June 25 6pm Burnley vs Watford Pick - Channel 11
Sun June 28 4.30pm Watford vs Southampton Pick - Channel 11
Tue June 30 8.15pm Brighton vs Man Utd Pick - Channel 11
Wed July 1 6pm Bournemouth vs Newcastle Pick - Channel 11

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I'm guessing the pre-match intro to Villa V
Has anyone been watching the Bundesliga/other crowdless matches? Are they watchable or fairly shite?

Bundesliga is using tighter camera angles so you rarely see big empty stands for too long. With wraps around lower tiers and cutouts (PL teams also using both) it does create a bit more of a visual impact than just a completely empty stand. A bit being the operative word.

There's also a quiet level of crowd noise humming away underneath the commentary that responds to the ebbs and flows of the game. It works quite nicely but is bizarre. One thing I noticed was when Mochengladbach had a goal disallowed by VAR against Bayern (in Munich) the crowd noise turned to boos. You'd imagine it would have been more of a cheer from the Bayern fans but yeah not such a big deal. I know you will be able to choose crowd noise via the red button (?) but am not sure how this will effect people who stream games.

It's not as exhilarating as the real thing. How can it be. Football is about drama and there's no single thing in life that carries such suspsense in my opinion. Thhere's nothing better than the crowd roaring a player on as they turn over possession and the team breaks on a counter attack... But it's making the most of a bad time and I'll be pleased to see it back, whilst hoping that fans will be able to return at some point next season.

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Bundesliga is using tighter camera angles so you rarely see big empty stands for too long. With wraps around lower tiers and cutouts (PL teams also using both) it does create a bit more of a visual impact than just a completely empty stand. A bit being the operative word.

There's also a quiet level of crowd noise humming away underneath the commentary that responds to the ebbs and flows of the game. It works quite nicely but is bizarre. One thing I noticed was when Mochengladbach had a goal disallowed by VAR against Bayern (in Munich) the crowd noise turned to boos. You'd imagine it would have been more of a cheer from the Bayern fans but yeah not such a big deal. I know you will be able to choose crowd noise via the red button (?) but am not sure how this will effect people who stream games.

It's not as exhilarating as the real thing. How can it be. Football is about drama and there's no single thing in life that carries such suspsense in my opinion. Thhere's nothing better than the crowd roaring a player on as they turn over possession and the team breaks on a counter attack... But it's making the most of a bad time and I'll be pleased to see it back, whilst hoping that fans will be able to return at some point next season.

I'm certainly looking forward to it. I guess my excitement level is best described as 'I'll be watching Arsenal Man CIty - but I'll give Villa Sheff Utd a swerve'.

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

I'm very excited for the prem being back personally. Got a bit of a start of world cup feel. I'm an Arsenal so not much to get pumped about regarding our prospects but I have got a very close fantasy league with £40 on the line 😂

Even as Bristol Rovers (ie neutral) fan, have been enjoying the Tuesday Club podcasts. Are you a fan?

38 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Thought the crowd noise in the Bremen Munich game last night was well done. Has improved viewing experience. Training ground game silence is shite.

Yeah i agree. I get that some people think it's a bit fake, but anything that makes it feel more real, even if it's a slight difference, i think is a good think

Anyone fancy a prediction game?

First behind closed doors (Premier League)...

1. SCORER
2. HAT TRICK
3. RED CARD
4. INJURY REQUIRING STRETCHERING OFF
5. VAR CONFIRMED GOAL 
6. VAR DISALLOWED GOAL 
7. PENALTY SAVED 
8. PENALTY SCORED

5 points for the same player. 2 points for the wrong player but correct team. GO!

Here's mine to get the ball rolling:

1. SCORER - Mousset
2. HAT TRICK - Salah
3. RED CARD - Diop
4. INJURY REQUIRING STRETCHERING OFF - Wilshere (Taking a risk here as he's probably already injured)
5. VAR DECIDED GOAL - Vardy
6. VAR DISALLOWED GOAL - Sterling
7. PENALTY SAVED - Kepa
8. PENALTY SCORED - Deeney