Football 19/20

thetime

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

:lol: 

I thought you bluenoses have been taking the piss out of 'this means more' and calling it gross arrogance? 

Turns out you're just as bad as those you condemn. 

I would have thought it was pretty easy to comprehend really. For City or Bayern to win it, they will have to go the entire tournament without losing a single game. Livepool lost 4 games and still won it last year. Which task is easier? Losing 4 and winning or not losing and winning it?

No idea what you are talking about with the 'This Means More' stuff. It is just a silly sound byte, dreamt up by Liverpool's PR team to sell merchandise. Ironically it does not actually mean anything. I prefer 'This does not slip'. That is my favourite Liverpool sound byte.

Bluenoses? I think you're confusing us with Everton fans. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the easiest team for city to draw out of the availables. It'll be hugely embarrassing for City if they don't win.

How do you work that one out? Lyon have played City off the park in the Champions League, while City spanked Atalanta 5-1 this year. We also drew in Milan with Kyle Walker in net. 

I have seen both teams live and Lyon looked far better than Atalanta.

18 minutes ago, eastynh said:

For City or Bayern to win it, they will have to go the entire tournament without losing a single game.

it's easier to get lucky in that scenario than it is to win over two legs.

19 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Livepool lost 4 games and still won it last year.

and the rules allowed for that.

If the rules were different, the teams would have approached the games differently - so you can't really say they'd have lost and been out.

21 minutes ago, eastynh said:

No idea what you are talking about with the 'This Means More' stuff.

you claiming different rules this year makes it harder to win (and the implied 'that makes City better' than the team you're obsessed with). :rolleyes: 

In either case, the winning team can only play to the rules and structure of the competition and against thew teams they come up against until the competition is over. If they end up the winners they're the winners.

I think there might have been a few 'whoosh' moments for you with my posts this morning. :P 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's easier to get lucky in that scenario than it is to win over two legs.

and the rules allowed for that.

If the rules were different, the teams would have approached the games differently - so you can't really say they'd have lost and been out.

you claiming different rules this year makes it harder to win (and the implied 'that makes City better' than the team you're obsessed with). :rolleyes: 

In either case, the winning team can only play to the rules and structure of the competition and against thew teams they come up against until the competition is over. If they end up the winners they're the winners.

I think there might have been a few 'whoosh' moments for you with my posts this morning. :P 

Without boring you Neil, its not been a great few days. Had my mind on other things unfortunately. Been nice to watch the football and take my mind off things. Things may have gone over my head a little.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I personally prefer the format of this tournament to the normal one. I don’t think it’s any easier or harder to win, requires some good luck like the old format did and doesn’t have any more or less credibility, it is just different.

I pretty much agree - tho like I said above, it's easier to get thru a round with a lucky win when a tie is only over one leg and not two (because being lucky twice in a tie is less likely than being lucky once in a tie).

Meaning that not-the-best-team is more likely to win this year than under normal competition rules. That's a statistical fact.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I pretty much agree - tho like I said above, it's easier to get thru a round with a lucky win when a tie is only over one leg and not two (because being lucky twice in a tie is less likely than being lucky once in a tie).

Meaning that not-the-best-team is more likely to win this year than under normal competition rules. That's a statistical fact.

I wouldn't argue, although you look to the normal format which allowed for a porto v Monaco final. Man City are undoubtedly one of the top 3 or 4 teams in Europe so if anything the format that gives the likes of Lyon a better chance works against them and not for them.

In terms of the draw it's swings and roundabouts. City have one of the kinder last 8 draws, but in the knockout stages their half of the draw is much tougher. Last season Liverpool had the good fortune to play one of the weakest champions league finalist in recent history, but you can only play who is in front of you. In my view an English team has never played well in a champions league final, but the record books will just tell you who won, that's cup football.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Has Guardiola failed at City?

He certainly hasn’t lived up to the huge expecrations his reputation and huge financial backing fostered.

Two titles in four years and a few domestic cups but realistically he was brought in to win the CL and they’ve never even threatened to since he’s been there.

10 years since he's won it.

Failed at munich and city european wise.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I personally prefer the format of this tournament to the normal one. I don’t think it’s any easier or harder to win, requires some good luck like the old format did and doesn’t have any more or less credibility, it is just different.

I completely agree. Might just be by chance but on the whole these four games have been much more enjoyable and exciting than most champions league games I've watched in the previous few seasons. 

I've only caught the second half of the City game but the whole thing is very reminiscent of a typical England world cup exit, though I think a lot of that is down to Steve McManaman getting progressively more upset as the game went on.

13 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

For some reason he always chokes in Europe and can't get his tactics right.

Goes back to when Chelsea knocked Barca out in 2012. They were one of the best teams on the planet and we had Bosingwa playing CB, Ramires at RB and only ten men ffs. Pep's never been the same in Europe since.