Football 19/20

thetime

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Going to be a lot of knackered players going into the Euros.

That is one packed season. Wonder if they'll move the start of the Euros back a couple of weeks, would make sense i think.

Good decision to drop the FA Cup replays for this year, assuming they come back the following.

2 minutes ago, Gromite said:

That is one packed season. Wonder if they'll move the start of the Euros back a couple of weeks, would make sense i think.

Good decision to drop the FA Cup replays for this year, assuming they come back the following.

Dates for the Euros are locked in. The PL is congested at the end to make sure there are three weeks to prepare for them.

Cue Kane, Sterling and Rashford all getting injured in the pre-tournament friendly against Belarus.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

just wondering if Man City are going to proud of their asterix if they manage to win the Chumps. :P 

To answer your question bluntly, yes.

In 30 years time, everyone will remember who won it in 2020, at the mini tournament in Portugal.

Bit gutted I missed that as only got Sky Sports - though turned the snooker on for the first time this year and it went down to the final frame, so can't really complain too much. Was going to go to the pub to watch Man City tomorrow - not sure if it's really worth it now though.

So PL told the consortium they would have to enter arbitration for the point of whether Saudi Gov are involved or not. 

Surely this is a process which you take after a takeover bid has been rejected and not something to do while the bid is on going? 

The PL are not following their own O&D test.

6 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

So PL told the consortium they would have to enter arbitration for the point of whether Saudi Gov are involved or not. 

Surely this is a process which you take after a takeover bid has been rejected and not something to do while the bid is on going? 

The PL are not following their own O&D test.

it's hardly a surprise that the Prem are a bit reluctant to label a head of state as a despot.

There were always going to try and avoid getting into the dirt. They wouldn't even use the pirating part, despite the Prem having tried to take legal action in Saudi against that pirating (strangely, they couldn't find a Saudi lawyer willing to take on the case).

To me, it seems pretty clear that the consortium were told that if they didn't withdraw the bid they'd get one of those labels and the bid wouldn't go thru - which isn't the way it's meant to happen.

Edited by eFestivals

14 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

When they engrave the trophy, whoever’s name is on it will not have an asterisk next to it.

The ironic thing about Neil's comment is that it could not be further that the truth. By saying any win should have an asterisk against it, is insinuating it would be some how tainted. This sudden death mini tournament  is a far better format than the usual double legged ties. There are no second chances, it is do or die. 

City and Bayern have not lost a single match this season in the Champions League. For either side to win it, they will have to end the campaign undefeated. Last year when Liverpool won it, they lost 4 times. This years Champions League will be far harder to win than last years.

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think I just heard @eastynh’s bowels rumbling...

Bayern looked fabulous last night. No point worrying about them though, tonight will be a stern enough test.

If we get through though, we will be a totally different test to anything they have faced. For one, I would expect City to have most of the possession. Then, we will also press them far higher up the pitch than Barcelona did last night. Bayern spanking Barca actually takes the pressure off who ever they play, as they will now rightly be overwhelming favourites.

Tonight is a good test though, Lyon have footballers in their midfield, should be a good game of football. 

Edited by eastynh

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The ironic thing about Neil's comment is that it could not be further that the truth. By saying any win should have an asterisk against it, is insinuating it would be some how tainted. This sudden death mini tournament  is a far better format than the usual double legged ties. There are no second chances, it is do or die. 

City and Bayern have not lost a single match this season in the Champions League. For either side to win it, they will have to end the campaign undefeated. Last year when Liverpool won it, they lost 4 times. This years Champions League will be far harder to win than last years.

Bayern looked fabulous last night. No point worrying about them though, tonight will be a stern enough test.

If we get through though, we will be a totally different test to anything they have faced. For one, I would expect City to have most of the possession. Then, we will also press them far higher up the pitch than Barcelona did last night. Bayern spanking Barca actually takes the pressure off who ever they play, as they will now rightly be overwhelming favourites.

Tonight is a good test though, Lyon have footballers in their midfield, should be a good game of football. 

Bayern leave gaps at the back when pressing for sure and City are well placed to hit them on the break.

However City aren’t exactly rock solid at the back and have a nasty habit sometimes of folding after conceding, especially in Europe.

My money would be on Bayern taking a high scoring match.

20 minutes ago, eastynh said:

it's not the normal tournament, and it's no different to pointing out (as many like to) that the CL is different (and harder to win, goes the claim) than the old European Cup.

Does it deserve an asterix? Who knows. But it's no less of a valid argument than plenty were suggesting for an unfinished Prem.

Personally I reckon City should get an asterix for getting a bye in tonight's match. :P 

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's not the normal tournament, and it's no different to pointing out (as many like to) that the CL is different (and harder to win, goes the claim) than the old European Cup.

Does it deserve an asterix? Who knows. But it's no less of a valid argument than plenty were suggesting for an unfinished Prem.

Personally I reckon City should get an asterix for getting a bye in tonight's match. :P 

I hope you are trying to be funny there regarding tonights match, as it would show an absolute lack of footballing knowledge if you're not.