Football 19/20

thetime

5 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Interested to see Sheffield United bid for Ramsdale. Would suggest perhaps they don't rate their chances off getting Henderson back...

If Henderson is sold, you'd imagine him going to a bigger team than Sheffield United.

15 minutes ago, thetime said:

If Henderson is sold, you'd imagine him going to a bigger team than Sheffield United.

Like Chelsea hopefully! But no, in all seriousness... If we bring in defensive reinforcements I'd be happy to give Kepa another season. If we are to make a move though, I rate the Ajax keeper, Onana.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Looks like Aubameyang is signing a new contract.

That 55 people must be thrilled.

If Abameyang gets Arsenal back in the championship league then hopefully they can create some new jobs.

I don't really understand the link between playing and non playing staff. Arsenal will need good footballers in September they may not need the same level of hospitality and admin staff if the stadiums are empty. I hope these people get their jobs back in the future, but the truth is the same staff aren't needed in September 2020 that were needed in September 2019.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

We only have one side of the story so it's hard to make a balanced judgement. I think Bale only gets pleasure from playing for Wales.

Bit of a strange thing for Zidane to say if Bale has indeed not said it. Bale's attitude has been unprofessional really. There have been a few episodes now, with the banner at the Wales match, pretending to be asleep while in the stands as a sub and now apparently saying he did not want to go to Manchester (can't blame him on that last point tbh). He is openly taking the piss out of a team that is paying him an awful lot of money for his services.

If things are not going well at Madrid, but he wants to stay there till the end of his contract, regardless of whether he is picked to play or not. He should keep his head down, stay out the limelight and crack on.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Bit of a strange thing for Zidane to say if Bale has indeed not said it. Bale's attitude has been unprofessional really. There have been a few episodes now, with the banner at the Wales match, pretending to be asleep while in the stands as a sub and now apparently saying he did not want to go to Manchester (can't blame him on that last point tbh). He is openly taking the piss out of a team that is paying him an awful lot of money for his services.

If things are not going well at Madrid, but he wants to stay there till the end of his contract, regardless of whether he is picked to play or not. He should keep his head down, stay out the limelight and crack on.

I get the impression that there is fault on both sides, but the He is in a similar position to Ozil in the fact that it makes sense for him to move, but financially its impossible to move him so we get this stalemate. Real Madrid should have let him go to China as there was never any chance of them recouping a transfer fee with his wages.

When he plays for Wales (which is all I care about) he is the model of professionalism.

I dont feel sorry for Bale, still not forgiven him for his goals in Kiev, but I dont think he's been unreasonable with his behaviour. Real Madrid are brutal to players, and its sort of just accepted. Zidane has never had any interest in playing him, and Real wouldnt let him go to China. If the club has no interest in looking after his interests then it only makes sense that he'll just do what's best for him.

10 hours ago, Dan R said:

I dont feel sorry for Bale, still not forgiven him for his goals in Kiev, but I dont think he's been unreasonable with his behaviour. Real Madrid are brutal to players, and its sort of just accepted. Zidane has never had any interest in playing him, and Real wouldnt let him go to China. If the club has no interest in looking after his interests then it only makes sense that he'll just do what's best for him.

I have no problem with him doing what is best for him. If he wants to sit in the stand or on the bench every week while earning his money then fair enough. It is not his fault Real Madrid gave him a stupid contract. It is just his behaviour that has grinded. He came across as the model professional. His recent behaviour has been rather childish.

Not sure why I am arsed, it is good news fir City that he is missing. 

How do people see it going tonight? Since Sky stopped showing La Liga, I have seen hardly anything of Spanish football. I have watched the English teams when City have not been playing in the Champs League. As a far, you are always a bit nervous playing teams with an aura like Madrid. Yet, in the first match I thought once City stopped playing the name and played the team on the litch, they were easily the better side.

As an aside, I heard there are plans to possibly let fans drink alcohol in their seats as of next season. Anyone any thoughts on that?

Also, has anyones club released details of tickets for next season?

23 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I have no problem with him doing what is best for him. If he wants to sit in the stand or on the bench every week while earning his money then fair enough. It is not his fault Real Madrid gave him a stupid contract. It is just his behaviour that has grinded. He came across as the model professional. His recent behaviour has been rather childish.

Not sure why I am arsed, it is good news fir City that he is missing. 

How do people see it going tonight? Since Sky stopped showing La Liga, I have seen hardly anything of Spanish football. I have watched the English teams when City have not been playing in the Champs League. As a far, you are always a bit nervous playing teams with an aura like Madrid. Yet, in the first match I thought once City stopped playing the name and played the team on the litch, they were easily the better side.

As an aside, I heard there are plans to possibly let fans drink alcohol in their seats as of next season. Anyone any thoughts on that?

Also, has anyones club released details of tickets for next season?

In 11 games since lockdown, madrid have won 10 and drawn 1.

So should be a decent game.

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

I've watched 4 or 5 of the games. They've been fairly poor. Scraped their way to La Liga. Lots of 1 nils and close calls etc. Basically just Benzema and Ramos stepping up. City shouldn't have problem. But its Madrid in the Champions League so...

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

They have no Sergio Ramos tonight though.

This is uncharted territory though for City. We have never been leading against a good team after a first leg before.

Gonna be an interesting match. Real have been pretty average but their post lockdown matches have all been important and they seem to be masters of just getting the job done.

City look the superior team but not really played many properly competitive matches other than the loss in the FA Cup.