Football 19/20

thetime

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think we need the see what some of these players do in the really big games before going too overboard. I remember people thinking Francis Jeffers would do big things once.

I was reading up on him a couple of weeks ago, crazy he only got 22 goals the rest of his career after leaving Everton.

Arsenal got burnt with that one. 

Hey Janusaj was supposed to be great for a few months. 😄

United are pretty much paying for our purchase of Ferran Torres, due to the 15% sell on clause we have on Sanchez.

In respect to Greenwood, he looks far more naturally talented than either Rashford or Martial. That capability of left foot or right foot, makes him unpredictable.  Plus he strikes the ball beautifully. I can see Greenwood being the no 9 predominantly. They will all be rotated and get plenty of game time between them.

United look well set in the forward positions but the defence and goalkeeper need adressing. Seeing as they have just had to borrow another 140 million, that is not lioking likely this window, unless they sell.

5 minutes ago, eastynh said:

United look well set in the forward positions but the defence and goalkeeper need adressing. Seeing as they have just had to borrow another 140 million, that is not lioking likely this window, unless they sell.

Nothing to do with cash, but we are fully loaded with bang average centre backs. 7 at the last count, I can see at least 3 being moved on (smalling, jones, bailly). There are reports a Lille centre back being signed.

Henderson will either be fighting for number 1 or be sold.

Edited by thetime

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Its definitely no Charlton V Sunderland, one of my favourite ever matches as a neutral.  Cant believe that was 22 years ago!!

Just checked back and I was at the Bolton Watford game the year after that. Think it was the last play off game at the old Wembley. Went with a mate who was studying in Bolton at the time. Incredibly tense atmosphere. I was a Bolton fan for the day and they lost. Keeping up my 100% record in finals 🙈

Brentford have well and truly bottled this.

They were absolutely relentless chasing us down when there was no pressure on them, but as soon as they needed to win to go up they choked. They had three matches - Stoke, Barnsley and tonight, where a win would have taken them up and they lost all three.

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Brentford have well and truly bottled this.

They were absolutely relentless chasing us down when there was no pressure on them, but as soon as they needed to win to go up they choked. They had three matches - Stoke, Barnsley and tonight, where a win would have taken them up and they lost all three.

I think it's pretty harsh to call a team bottling it for not winning 9 games out of 10. It could be a reaction to the pressure, but it could equally have been regression to the mean where teams generally just don't win every game. Also no guarantee that a win against Barnsley would have taken them up, as likely WBA would have approached their match differently if they knew Brentford were winning.

Today was 2 similar team who accumulated similar points total playing out a tight, uninspiring game which isn't atypical for this type of match. I didn't see it as a bottle job today, more an even high pressure match someone had to win and someone lose.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Its definitely no Charlton V Sunderland, one of my favourite ever matches as a neutral.  Cant believe that was 22 years ago!!

Think that might have been my last ever game at old Wembley. Not a bad one to have last if it was 

6 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Think that might have been my last ever game at old Wembley. Not a bad one to have last if it was 

My last experience at old Wembley was seeing Germans lifting the Euro 96 trophy. My 2 experiences of new Wembley was watching Wrexham lose. Whether new or old me and Wembley don't have a great relationship!

8 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

My last experience at old Wembley was seeing Germans lifting the Euro 96 trophy. My 2 experiences of new Wembley was watching Wrexham lose. Whether new or old me and Wembley don't have a great relationship!

My last one there was the Gillingham v City, 2nd Division play off final. That was 21 years ago.

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I have been extremely lucky with Wembley results over the years in both club and international football. 

Cardiff though can fuck off 😂

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it's pretty harsh to call a team bottling it for not winning 9 games out of 10. It could be a reaction to the pressure, but it could equally have been regression to the mean where teams generally just don't win every game. Also no guarantee that a win against Barnsley would have taken them up, as likely WBA would have approached their match differently if they knew Brentford were winning.

Today was 2 similar team who accumulated similar points total playing out a tight, uninspiring game which isn't atypical for this type of match. I didn't see it as a bottle job today, more an even high pressure match someone had to win and someone lose.

I would say they’ve bottled it. It’s easier to chase than be chased in terms of pressure, they had nothing to lose and played out of their skins. But as soon as they had the opportunity to overtake us - Stoke and Barnsley, they collapsed.

my wembley record

Shrewsbury 1 - 2 Rotherham - lge 1

Shrewsbury 0 - 1 Lincoln - checkatrade

Shrewsbury 0 - 1 Gillingham - lge 2

SHrewsbury 1 -3  Bristol Rovers - lge 2 

Shrewsbury 1 - 2 Rotherham - LDV

and

Leeds - 0 - 1 Doncaster - Lge 1

absolutely hate the place 

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I would say they’ve bottled it. It’s easier to chase than be chased in terms of pressure, they had nothing to lose and played out of their skins. But as soon as they had the opportunity to overtake us - Stoke and Barnsley, they collapsed.

agree, totally different team when the games actually mattered and were not relying on other teams messing up 

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Some game that one 

I went straight to Wembley from a club called Maximes in Wigan. It is fair to say I was in a bad way. At 2-0 down with the clock on 90 mins, a load of City fans were leaving. I was in no physical state to move by that point and was slumped in my chair. After Horlock scored, I sat there and prayed. No idea who I was actually praying to, but pray I did. Next thing, the ball broke loose to Dickov and the rest is history. I remember the penalties being in front of our end. That was the loudest I have ever heard football fans in a stadium. The Gillingham plays locked shot, before they had even placed the ball.