Football 19/20

thetime

Just now, eastynh said:

Neil I said that Silva has been the best premier league player over the last decade. All those on that list you posted played hundreds of games more than Silva. 

Fabregas played less than a hundred less Prem games than Silva and has a better per-game average for assists. So it's not everything you claim.

Just now, eastynh said:

As for the Gerrard comment, thats just utterly ridiculous. Silva has a world cup winners medal and 2 Euro championship ones. Gerrard would swap all his medals for what Silva has won, in the blink on an eye. 

Dunno about that, that Gerrard would swap.

I do reckon that Silva would swap all those mickey mouse trophies for ol' big ears.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Fabregas played less than a hundred less Prem games than Silva and has a better per-game average for assists. So it's not everything you claim.

I do reckon that Silva would swap all those mickey mouse trophies for ol' big ears.

I don't think there is any doubt that Gerrard would swap.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Fabregas played 350 games and had 111 assists, he also scored 50 goals. That is an assist of 0.3171 per game

Silva played 309 games and has 93 assists, he has scored 60 goals. That is an assist of 0.309 per game

50 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

He played 200 more games to get a similar amount though. I think Gerrard is a good comparison because I think culturally that type of midfielder is what British audiences prefer, the likes of Pirlo would never have been truly appreciated here.

Although I think the British audiences prefers those goalscoring midfielder. Silva was never prolific while Gerrard (even though his scoring ability was constantly exaggerated by his media chums) has memorable goals to his name.

Yaya Toure is a fairer comparison to Gerrard. 

Quick Silva yarn that I don’t remember posting at the time. 

About 5 years ago we were flying home from Barcelona. Coming through security my youngest 2, around 10 at the time, started going all crazy that Silva was in front of us in the queue. I didn’t recognise him but they were 100% sure and very hyper. 

I asked him if he would mind getting a quick pick with the lads as we stood waiting. He said no bother but suggested we hold off till we’re through the security checks.

Boys through the roof hyper and away Silva went. Most unfortunately I then had a nightmare at the X-ray machine thing. Shoes off etc and failed a few times before getting the nod.

Assumed we’d blew it but when we eventually made it through, Silva was standing patiently waiting....and laughing.

Absolute class act he was. Boys still got the pictures on their wall.

We didn’t tell him they were Liverpool fans 😂

• Upvote 2

Just now, Comfy Bean said:

About 5 years ago we were flying home from Barcelona. Coming through security my youngest 2, around 10 at the time, started going all crazy that Silva was in front of us in the queue. I didn’t recognise him but they were 100% sure and very hyper. 

I asked him if he would mind getting a quick pick with the lads as we stood waiting. He said no bother but suggested we hold off till we’re through the security checks.

Boys through the roof hyper and away Silva went. Most unfortunately I then had a nightmare at the X-ray machine thing. Shoes off etc and failed a few times before getting the nod.

Assumed we’d blew it but when we eventually made it through, Silva was standing patiently waiting....and laughing.

thats ace.

Silva was a class player, I always wonder what would have happened if Benitez had been backed by Hicks and Gillet that summer and got Silva, Alves and Quaresma when deals had (reportedly) been agreed with clubs. 

On another note, talking of club legends... 🤪... Lovren has go to Zenit for 10.9m.

Right then fellas, what has Jordan Henderson done this year to be given football writers footballer of the year? From an outsider looking in, he has not even been the best player at his own club.

He seems to have a good engine, seems to be a great leader and a competent footballer.Every club needs one or two players like him. Yet I have never once thought, what a great performance from Jordan Henderson, he totally dominated that match and was the best player on the park.

What am I missing? Why is he winning awards?

37 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Right then fellas, what has Jordan Henderson done this year to be given football writers footballer of the year? From an outsider looking in, he has not even been the best player at his own club.

He seems to have a good engine, seems to be a great leader and a competent footballer.Every club needs one or two players like him. Yet I have never once thought, what a great performance from Jordan Henderson, he totally dominated that match and was the best player on the park.

I think I read the football writers award considers things such as characters and off the pitch stuff. I think Rashford came third based on the latter. 

I think the journalists like him because he is a nice guy and they like the story of the player who was nearly pushed out coming back to captain his club to glory, the fact he is English probably helps. I think it's probably a case of a few get behind bthe idea and others follow. He wouldn't be my choice, but I struggle to get too bothered about awards.

5 hours ago, eastynh said:

Fabregas played 350 games and had 111 assists, he also scored 50 goals. That is an assist of 0.3171 per game

Silva played 309 games and has 93 assists, he has scored 60 goals. That is an assist of 0.309 per game

so as I said then: fabregas had a higher average for assists. :) 

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

he makes them tick. They're definitely a better side when he's on the pitch.

But I think some of the reason he's getting the plaudits is because of how fergie slagged him. Turns out he's not shit after all. :) 

Consistently of a high standard. He's a workhorse, not a Ferrari.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so as I said then: fabregas had a higher average for assists. :) 

Not in the last decade he hasn't, which is what I said.

Now Fabregas was a very, very good player, but do you seriously think he is as good as Silva?

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

But I think some of the reason he's getting the plaudits is because of how fergie slagged him. Turns out he's not shit after all. :) 

Consistently of a high standard. He's a workhorse, not a Ferrari.

What traits does he have to his game that shine out?

You make him sound like a poor mans Gareth Barry.

Edited by eastynh

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Now Fabregas was a very, very good player, but do you seriously think he is as good as Silva?

I think Fabregas at his peak (the 2 seasons before he left Arsenal), was better than Silva's best seasons. Over their entire time in the Prem I'd say Silva has had more impact.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think Liverpool still win the league if he had been injured all season. I'm not sure that is the same for Allison or VVD. I would probably go for VVD as I think that their dominance over city was more down to their relative defensive strength than attacking.

Henderson has had a very good season, but probably doesn't make my best 11.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

I think Liverpool still win the league if he had been injured all season. I'm not sure that is the same for Allison or VVD. I would probably go for VVD as I think that their dominance over city was more down to their relative defensive strength than attacking.

Henderson has had a very good season, but probably doesn't make my best 11.

Wijnaldum is Liverpool midfielder that impresses me. Quietly goes about his job and seems to have a bit of class about him.

8 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think Fabregas at his peak (the 2 seasons before he left Arsenal), was better than Silva's best seasons. Over their entire time in the Prem I'd say Silva has had more impact.

It is difficult to make a comparison between the two really as Silva's key skill was keeping the ball and dictating the play. Fabregas's role was more like KDB.

There was more to Silva's game than Fabregas. Silva is/was far better than Fabregas with his back to the goal, better touch and technique. Silva takes the ball in tight situations and then opens up the pitch on, the turn. There is so much more to Silva's game than goals or assists, he glued the attack and defence together.

You are right though, those 2 years before Fabregas went to Barca, he was shit hot. He was never the same player after that.

15 minutes ago, eastynh said:

It is difficult to make a comparison between the two really as Silva's key skill was keeping the ball and dictating the play. Fabregas's role was more like KDB.

There was more to Silva's game than Fabregas. Silva is/was far better than Fabregas with his back to the goal, better touch and technique. Silva takes the ball in tight situations and then opens up the pitch on, the turn. There is so much more to Silva's game than goals or assists, he glued the attack and defence together.

You are right though, those 2 years before Fabregas went to Barca, he was shit hot. He was never the same player after that.

Well yes, it was different skillsets and roles. But Fabregas in those 2 seasons was immense, so ridiculously good. Part of Silva's magic is that he'll consistently create chances in every single game for a decade, but there's been so few games let alone seasons where he's stood out. The main player to compare Silva to would be Xavi, yet Silva does play notably further forward than Xavi did.

4 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

I always love stories like this.

I always thought of Cesc as a player who never hit the heights expected of him as a youngster. If he's got better stats than the best player ever I guess he didn't do too bad after all.