Football 19/20

thetime

Irelands Englishman changed this almost second world country as much as any politician did in the 80s and early 90s. Met him once and it was liking meeting the president. 

World Cup winner. Unique man. 

He did this. I still get teary eyed thinking about those few weeks in 1990. Golden times.

RIP

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I read that he always paid in Irish pubs by cheque as he knew they'd keep it for his autograph and put it behind the bar instead of cashing it

I don't think he ever had to pay for a pint in Ireland. 

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Irelands Englishman changed this almost second world country as much as any politician did in the 80s and early 90s. Met him once and it was liking meeting the president. 

He did this.

RIP

I don't think he ever had to pay for a pint in Ireland. 

Fairplay, as an Englishman, I've got enough good memories just from watching the Republic of Ireland in the 90s to make him an absolute legend - and that's before you even get to the fact that he was a World Cup winner.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

RIP the 90s in general on that front!

Yes the 90s (plus first couple of years of the 00s) definitely my favourite era.

I remember that Irish team were pretty workmanlike, but I found myself as a young football fan getting behind them. I don't think I realised untill someone mentioned last week that they didn't win a game (without penalties) in the world cup.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Yes the 90s (plus first couple of years of the 00s) definitely my favourite era.

I remember that Irish team were pretty workmanlike, but I found myself as a young football fan getting behind them. I don't think I realised untill someone mentioned last week that they didn't win a game (without penalties) in the world cup.

I hadn't remembered that stat. Similarly, I think the kiwis managed to be the first team to get knocked out of a World Cup (at the last one) without losing (they drew all three).

48 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Wasn't the prettiest at times but we had never qualified for any tournament before and then had Euro 88, Italia 90 and USA 94 under Jack. Scenes.

11 hours ago, eastynh said:

Soon be judgement day @eFestivals. How you feeling, you getting nervous?

looking forwards to 9.30.

When you can tell me again that UEFA have no right to ask their membership to comply with the rules of membership. :D 

In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs, I predict a quiet(from Easty).

:P 

Edited by eFestivals

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

looking forwards to 9.30.

When you can tell me again that UEFA have no right to ask their membership to comply with the rules of membership. :D 

In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs, I predict a quiet(from Easty).

:P

nearly threw up when Hernandez scored the winner, with nerves, relief and excitement.

we have had a tough year with legends passing, just hope we can cross  the finish line

I am not believing until its done though

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that would mean that no one has to follow UEFA's rules. I can't really see it myself.

No, that would mean that City did nothing wrong and it was a witchhunt from members of a cartel, who were dertmined to find City guilty of wrong doing, on the premise of stolen and out of context emails, even though they had done nothing wrong.

Lets see what happens in 15 minutes.

20 minutes ago, eastynh said:

No, that would mean that City did nothing wrong and it was a witchhunt from members of a cartel, who were dertmined to find City guilty of wrong doing, on the premise of stolen and out of context emails, even though they had done nothing wrong.

Lets see what happens in 15 minutes.

well, they've won.

So no one has to follow UEFA rules any more. ;)