Football 19/20

thetime

I'm in two minds on Liverpool tbf. I know some people think that their fans will automatically want a big party at the point the title win is confirmed. However, given the game against Atletico at Anfield is being blamed for a spike in covid cases in the Liverpool area, I can't help but wonder if a lot of those who might otherwise indulged might not be so ready to go out and party.

Though in any case, I'm surprised Newcastle's games against Man City & Liverpool are being spoken up for neutral venues. We don't really have anything to play for so I don't know who's going for those purposes.

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/footballweekly

One of the better discussions I have heard about Newcastle on most recent podcast.

I do like James Montague - I enjoyed his book The Billionaire's Club and he was engaging on Tifo Football podcasts talking both about MBS and Ashley. Plus the NUST guy knows his shit.

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52881671

I don't blame the player for not wanting to play and risk injury, but things like this really damage the integrity of the league in my view. It's why I think they shouldn't restart.

Would the lad have sat out the last games of the season had it not been postponed because he was worried he would be injured?

6 hours ago, jyoung said:

Would the lad have sat out the last games of the season had it not been postponed because he was worried he would be injured?

I have no issue with players not playing due to the risk of getting infected, but injuries are part and part of professional sport. They are being given time to train and get in shape, and have now said teams can have friendlies before games resume. If i was manager, i'd be pretty disappointed with this

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Nothing really surprises with me with any more. Isn't he half way out the door?

The Saudi ownership bid is on hold due to the PL looking into some of the dubious practises of the regime.

Not torture of course, that's fine for the PL, but potentially being involved with stream-piracy.

Edited by kaosmark2

Bizarre.. We've now got 5 subs and clubs voting on where other teams will play their fixtures. They may as well bring in that added time multi ball from the Budweiser, 'you do the football, we'll do the beer' advert a few years ago.

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

Looks like Werner to Chelsea could be a thing. Would be a huge move for us. Strange that Liverpool are his first choice but won't commit to the asking price. He would definitely take them to the next level.

I think we’ve asked RBL to wait until we have a better idea of where our finances are but now you’ve offered £50mil I think that’s it done.

Apparently you’ve offered £200,000 a week as well which we won’t as it would make him top earner at the club.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think we’ve asked RBL to wait until we have a better idea of where our finances are but now you’ve offered £50mil I think that’s it done.

Apparently you’ve offered £200,000 a week as well which we won’t as it would make him top earner at the club.

Ah I see. No doubt he is a talent but I guess that makes sense. We've got the Hazard plus Morata money and William plus Pedro off the books next year so frees up some cash for fees plus wages.

Bit gutted but the noise coming out of Liverpool for a while has been that it was unlikely. I guess the lack of matchday income and reduced tv money over the next year or so could be a big issue but it seemed like a great deal.

I also wonder what this means for Tammy Abraham, guess he'll be reduced to backup.

I've personally come around to the idea that the season should have been scrapped. You can't play 3/4 of a season with one set of rules then the last part with another.

On Newcastle side, Mike Ashley is definitely gonna try keep that season ticket money, have you seen what Sunderland have announced? I reckon he'll get ideas from that. This bloody takeover is taking forever! 

The Werner thing seems to be basically that liverpool wanted him as cover for Jan while they lose players to the African cup, and the 2021/2022 season they would sell one of their front 3 with Warner as replacement. Since that isnt happening, klopp couldn't justify the outlay for what would be someone who's a sub

Edited by zahidf

The fans don't seem to be taking this Werner thing well..

Just reading the comments regarding Liverpool women's team being relegated "this will be the men's team in a couple of years if we don't get rid of FSG"

Slight over reaction.

I don't want to get too excited until it's confirmed but Ziyech and Werner would be reminiscent of the summer Chelsea signed Diego Costa and Fabregas. Great window for us. Apparently we're trying to get Chilwell as well which would definitely improve our back line. I don't think it is bad news for Tammy Abraham though. Werner's versatility will mean that both get plenty of playing time.

Just now, lost said:

The fans don't seem to be taking this Werner thing well..

Just reading the comments regarding Liverpool women's team being relegated "this will be the men's team in a couple of years if we don't get rid of FSG"

Slight over reaction.

FT seems to full of people more excited about transfers than the actual football. So many seem to have forgotten we bought a new forward in January already. 

Personally it's always gutting when a quality player goes to a rival over Liverpool, but cash is going to be tight. And it would be more ridiculous to try and use the furlough scheme before splashing £50m on a squad player.