Football 19/20

thetime

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52587293

I struggle to understand his point. There has been loads of talk about how isolation impacts on mental health. I think the focus on mental health is greater than ever. 

If it were someone living alone, visiting a close friend or family member and only them, then the mental health argument could potentially apply.

He's being a selfish dick.

I think I've come around to the feeling it needs scrapping. If they can't bring it back without major rule changes then it shouldn't come back for the sake of it. Hardly fair that most of the season will be played with one set of regulations and the final fixtures played with 5 subs or under 45 mins. If they bring it back without relegation then they may as well not bother.

19 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Does anyone think the champions league will actually happen next season? If not its a very easy write - off. 

no one will be writing off the expected but lost income very easily. 

On 5/8/2020 at 9:29 AM, jyoung said:

League One and Two to be abandoned. Clubs to vote on promotion and relegation next week apparently.

Absolutely gutted. We (Pompey) still have games against Oxford and Rotherham, two top of the table clashes, and then struggling Accrington and whipping boys Southend. We could have ended up 9th, or won the league. 

I've read that with the weighted PPG system, it'll be Wycombe in NINTH who go up as the third promoted team. 

No other option to not continue though, so I don't have any complaints. Ultimately I'm just pleased we're now in a secure financial position. Lots of clubs down here aren't going to survive. 

3 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Absolutely gutted. We (Pompey) still have games against Oxford and Rotherham, two top of the table clashes, and then struggling Accrington and whipping boys Southend. We could have ended up 9th, or won the league. 

I've read that with the weighted PPG system, it'll be Wycombe in NINTH who go up as the third promoted team. 

No other option to not continue though, so I don't have any complaints. Ultimately I'm just pleased we're now in a secure financial position. Lots of clubs down here aren't going to survive. 

I don't have a huge issue with points per game, going on current league position would be less fair. Whatever they choose will benefit some and the opposite for others.

42 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Yeah it's a bit gutting in that respect but as you say, you lot have been on the brink before and at least nowadays you know you'll be lining up on the first day of the new season ready to have a decent crack at it. Do you think we'll really see some clubs go bust? I'm not going to pretend I'm too clued up with the lower leagues to be honest. If this thing does finish off some clubs it will be really crap.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Yeah it's a bit gutting in that respect but as you say, you lot have been on the brink before and at least nowadays you know you'll be lining up on the first day of the new season ready to have a decent crack at it. Do you think we'll really see some clubs go bust? I'm not going to pretend I'm too clued up with the lower leagues to be honest. If this thing does finish off some clubs it will be really crap.

I'm not too clued up on many other teams, but you've only got to look at the amount of clubs this season alone who're struggling with finances, resulting in points deductions. Gate receipts and match-day venue are essential, and I don't see fans back in stadiums until we have a vaccine in place.

25 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I'm not too clued up on many other teams, but you've only got to look at the amount of clubs this season alone who're struggling with finances, resulting in points deductions. Gate receipts and match-day venue are essential, and I don't see fans back in stadiums until we have a vaccine in place.

I struggle to see how league one and below football is feasible without fans.

19 hours ago, lost said:

Think we may get a nice steady stream of positive corna tests from the relegation threatened clubs between now and September.

oh, you cynic. :P :lol: 

I think it's pretty likely that with a group of around 800 often self-entitled players where many can't abide by distancing, etc + plenty of club staff there'll be shitloads of positive tests from all clubs.

Talk that Celtic will be awarded the League later this week with Hearts relegated. Hearts were very much in touch with teams above them so looking for a financial package.

Top league looking to start next season on time but behind closed doors. Not viable in lower leagues so major worry for the smaller clubs. Nightmare for lower league full time footballers who go out of contract start of next month.

36 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Is there any info on how the weighted PPG system is applied?

Here's what I was just reading...

The table would use the average number of points each side has picked up per home game this season and the average number of points picked up at each away game this season. Those numbers would then be applied to each home and away game left on a team's fixture list.

0_championship.jpg

It does favour sides who had a tougher run in however as we've all said, there is no perfect solution.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

Talk that Celtic will be awarded the League later this week with Hearts relegated. Hearts were very much in touch with teams above them so looking for a financial package.

Top league looking to start next season on time but behind closed doors. Not viable in lower leagues so major worry for the smaller clubs. Nightmare for lower league full time footballers who go out of contract start of next month.

How viable is it in SPL? I would have thought smaller clubs would struggle without matchday income?

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

How viable is it in SPL? I would have thought smaller clubs would struggle without matchday income?

Think they can just about get by on the Sky money but your right that the smaller SPL clubs need the match day income. It’s why they scuppered the reconstruction plans on Friday that I was hoping would happen.

They all voted to keep their 4 matches against each of the old firm instead of a bigger league playing everyone home and away once where they would have less chance of being relegated.

Self preservation on the wider share of the money but no surprise.

Nobody even guessing when the lower leagues might start up here.

After June and the end of contracts and furlough I’m assuming clubs will just mothball with no players and maybe a groundsman and the manager.

3 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Think they can just about get by on the Sky money but your right that the smaller SPL clubs need the match day income. It’s why they scuppered the reconstruction plans on Friday that I was hoping would happen.

They all voted to keep their 4 matches against each of the old firm instead of a bigger league playing everyone home and away once where they would have less chance of being relegated.

Self preservation on the wider share of the money but no surprise.

Nobody even guessing when the lower leagues might start up here.

After June and the end of contracts and furlough I’m assuming clubs will just mothball with no players and maybe a groundsman and the manager.

I say that because I remember Wrexham in the national league (and not in the richest)  competing with some of the smaller SPL clubs for players in recent years. So I assume that financially they are not completely in different universes.  I agree after Furlough there will be a lot of unemployed footballers. I imagine we will release everyone who is out of contract and that wont leave many.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Looks like the anti neutral ground sides have got their way. Up to 12 clubs apparently.

'Those clubs now want the chance to show they can deliver home and away matches safely, and league bosses are behind them.'

seems fair enough but if the police say no, it's back to neutral grounds.