Football 19/20

thetime

I can't hear "football's coming home" atm without hearing this, particularly the bit around 1:30... 

As for football, I'm inclined to agree with a comment by Ed Woodward and from others suggesting this year's transfer market is going to be very different because it looks like the big clubs are wiping out their transfer fees. Which makes the gossip columns even more weird to read than usual, given they're still touting £100M+ moves for the likes of Kane, Sancho, Aubameyang et all.

37 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I can't hear "football's coming home" atm without hearing this, particularly the bit around 1:30... 

As for football, I'm inclined to agree with a comment by Ed Woodward and from others suggesting this year's transfer market is going to be very different because it looks like the big clubs are wiping out their transfer fees. Which makes the gossip columns even more weird to read than usual, given they're still touting £100M+ moves for the likes of Kane, Sancho, Aubameyang et all.

I get the feeling smaller teams will lose their positions of strength, so the likes Aston Villa wont be able to hold out for £50m+ for Jack Grealish, and might have to sell for £20-£30.

Doesn't rule out the mega deals but means there's better value elsewhere.

51 minutes ago, Dan R said:

I get the feeling smaller teams will lose their positions of strength, so the likes Aston Villa wont be able to hold out for £50m+ for Jack Grealish, and might have to sell for £20-£30.

Doesn't rule out the mega deals but means there's better value elsewhere.

Completely agree with this theory. You have to imagine will be the smaller clubs that suffer and lose their key players.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:36 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Do we think there might be legal challenges from clubs if the season is void? Or would they have absolutely no ground for it?

I don't think there would be any grounds fot it. More chances of challenges if they relegate teams or gave Liverpool the title.

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Who would sue if the title was awarded?

I hope City would after the way Liverpool have behaved towards them.

I had no issue with Liverpool being awarded the league, they have been the best team. Seeing as though Liverpool joined in with the other 7 clubs writing to CAS in trying to maintain the European ban and after the shite they pulled with the furlough, they can fuck right off now. They have not won anything. If Liverpool get awarded the league, do City get awarded the champions league and FA Cup, seeing as we are favourites to win both of them competitions?

Edited by eastynh

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

I hope City would after the way Liverpool have behaved towards them.

I had no issue with Liverpool being awarded the league, they have been the best team. Seeing as though Liverpool joined in with the other 7 clubs writing to CAS in trying to maintain the European ban and after the shite they pulled with the furlough, they can fuck right off now. They have not won anything. If Liverpool get awarded the league, do City get awarded the champions league and FA Cup, seeing as we are favourites to win both of them competitions?

So basically you dont like them. Not sure that's grounds for a lawsuit.

• Upvote 2

Liverpool being 20+ points clear and only 2 wins from the title means there's less argument there that they are pretty much champions. The Champions League places and relegation scraps are more of a problem.

Wonder if there could be an argument for brief play-offs among sides within 2 wins of each other at top and bottom to decide who's getting the goodies. But then its a difficult one to decide what is the option if we can't just play the final games of the season.

10 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Who would sue if the title was awarded?

I don't think any club would kick up a fuss to be honest.

I still think the league should just be postponed this season with no relegation and promoting baggies and Leeds. I hope Leeds go up as I hate them as much as Liverpool, united v leeds now that's a rivalry and gets the juices going on a away day.

22 hours ago, eastynh said:

I don't think there would be any grounds fot it. More chances of challenges if they relegate teams or gave Liverpool the title.

you do know that if the season is void that City don't get to play in next year's CL, don't you...? I reckon that might change a few minds.

Or is this another occasion that City fans will write their own rules...? :D 

20 hours ago, eastynh said:

Seeing as though Liverpool joined in with the other 7 clubs writing to CAS in trying to maintain the European ban

it's evil to want the rules to be the rules, I know. :lol: 

Edited by Neil

beeb reporting training grounds are reopening with full training pencilled in for May 18th. I wonder if they've had a tip off those two weeks after the may bank holiday are looking good for the end of lockdown?

Also on a non-footy note Greggs reopening too 👍

Edited by lost

18 minutes ago, lost said:

beeb reporting training grounds are reopening with full training pencilled in for May 18th. I wonder if they've had a tip off those two weeks after the may bank holiday are looking good for the end of lockdown?

Also on a non-footy note Greggs reopening too 👍

Interesting quote in the article - "Are we sending the right message to society, and are we encouraging a healthy return to normal life? Or are we sending a bad signal that football has different rules to the rest of the world?"

22 hours ago, zahidf said:

Not sure how feel about this, i saw someone making the argument it could benefit the larger teams, which i wouldn't be in favor of. However on the flip side, it could give younger players more game time. Says the proposal would be for this season and next, so not a really short term thing.

I do think we need injury replacements like in other sports on another note. 

4 minutes ago, Gromite said:

Not sure how feel about this, i saw someone making the argument it could benefit the larger teams, which i wouldn't be in favor of. However on the flip side, it could give younger players more game time. Says the proposal would be for this season and next, so not a really short term thing.

I do think we need injury replacements like in other sports on another note. 

Makes sense though, they haven't been playing or training, injuries are bound to happen.

Looks that way.

FIFA health chief now coming out with recommending starting a new season in September, this is after UEFA threatened to ban teams from the champions league who's domestic season hadn't finished barely 3 weeks ago. Seems bizarre that a European wide solution hasn't been found.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, lost said:

Looks that way.

FIFA health chief now coming out with recommending starting a new season in September, this is after UEFA threatened to ban teams from the champions league who's domestic season hadn't finished barely 3 weeks ago. Seems bizarre that a European wide solution hasn't been found.

They should end the season here as well. Of course money talks so probably won’t.