Football 19/20

thetime

On 4/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, Neil said:

if they've just bought Carnival and Shell they've bought them on the very-cheap, whereas £300M for Newc isn't that.

There was talk they were sniffing around Manchester United a while ago, with talk of a £1bn+ asking price from the Glazers. I thought if anyone would have the cash to buy out them, it would've been something like that.

On 4/16/2020 at 3:57 PM, kaosmark2 said:

I wouldn't be particularly comfortable with the sportswashing and human rights record of the Saudis, but all billionaires are a stain upon society anyway, and Ashley has been caught breaching worker's rights endlessly. 

Sadly, I'm not sure we'd get Rafa back. 

My instinct was anyone with £300M+ in the bank was going to have some kind of moral dubiousness, to the point where I half anticipated that it might be something like this. And I'm aware this is hardly new - there's been talk for years of Saudi influence growing within FIFA and football in general (Tifo Football did a very good video looking at this). Plus ofc Abu Dhabi & Qatar have their superclubs to play with that they effectively elevated into the big leagues with their money.

I also follow F1, where I'm aware there's a long list of places with dubious human rights races engaged in sportwashing paying the huge fees to host races. Hell, a Saudi company is now a new title partner of theirs and is building a circuit to try and get on the calendar in 2022/23. One F1 blogger even suggested they should try and buy out a team if one of them inevitably has to be sold due to the pandemic destroying a smaller team's finances.

Its all the weirdness. I've been a Newcastle fan for nearly 20 years and there's been a lot of despair moments along the way, to say nothing of the older generations, so I'd like to win us a thing, but I'm aware it would be like playing FM with "unlimited money" cheat codes backed by people whose attitudes I have felt uncomfortable about in the past.

On 4/17/2020 at 11:33 AM, pink_triangle said:

I think the trouble is that Newcastle fans have in the past given the impression that Ashley is as low as you can go ad an owner, seeing some of the Charlatans in the lower leagues, I have always disagreed.

It will be interesting seeing how the new regime are painted as not as bad as Ashley. 

I've always tempered it. I think he's been largely dreadful - Newcastle had been in the Champions League and had a brief spurt of 3 consecutive top 5 finishes in the 5 years before Ashley turned up, and within two of him rocking up, they were in the Championship, with another dip coming along and the comprehensive failure to build on anything positive.

At the same time, I know he's not an Oyston or a SISU or the maniacs that have caused trouble for a litany of clubs in the last 20 years. I've settled for being among the worst of the PL level, while at the same time knowing it could be so much worse.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Its all the weirdness. I've been a Newcastle fan for nearly 20 years and there's been a lot of despair moments along the way, to say nothing of the older generations, so I'd like to win us a thing, but I'm aware it would be like playing FM with "unlimited money" cheat codes backed by people whose attitudes I have felt uncomfortable about in the past.

That's kinda the game now though and success isn't guaranteed plus with FFP it'll be a long build and not instant. I'll just be happy to see the back of the current owner who has been nothing but a failure and when he has accidentally stumbled on to some success (Pards 5th & Rafa asking to be manager) he's only gone and f*cked it all up again. You kept hoping he would change but he never did.

Look at even now, we have promising young talent Matty Longstaff in the first team on £850 a week and they can't agree a new contract with him, he's free to walk away. This is from the club whose transfer policy for a decade has been to bring in young players with a hope of high sell on. They've got a kid who they've trained up, they could agree a new 30k a week deal right now and probably sell him on for 20m down the road but there's a stubbornness to the way he operates at negotiations.

My friend sent me a video of some guy called Robert Webster on a Zoom call who was apparently on the PL video call the other day. 8th June the date they’re aiming for but may be later. No fans at games for 2020 at all (no surprise) and they are looking to finish it in 5 weeks which should be simple enough now there are no other summer events in the sporting world to clash with it.

25 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

My friend sent me a video of some guy called Robert Webster on a Zoom call who was apparently on the PL video call the other day. 8th June the date they’re aiming for but may be later. No fans at games for 2020 at all (no surprise) and they are looking to finish it in 5 weeks which should be simple enough now there are no other summer events in the sporting world to clash with it.

Yeah I think mid june to finish before end of July is the most likely way to finish it

Edited by zahidf

It probably shouldn't but I also think Richard Masters was appointed specifically to protect certain financial interests. Fingers crossed there isn't anything splashed across the news of fans celebrating without social distancing or player infections if it goes ahead.

31 minutes ago, lost said:

It probably shouldn't but I also think Richard Masters was appointed specifically to protect certain financial interests. Fingers crossed there isn't anything splashed across the news of fans celebrating without social distancing or player infections if it goes ahead.

You really think fans won't be outside stadiums? Or liverpool fans won't be outside anfield once they clinch the title in there thousands?

It's a recipe for disaster. 

They should bin it until next season and start that later. Award liverpool the title, no one will begrudge them off that.

It will be just the relegation issue in the premier league that's the big issue. Just extend the league for 1 season with Leeds and WBA coming up, no relegation. Next season have 4 down, 2 up and it's back to normal.

It's not like there will be European football next season.

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

You really think fans won't be outside stadiums? Or liverpool fans won't be outside anfield once they clinch the title in there thousands?

Nope I think its nailed on but as I said its clear the direction Masters wants to go from whats been leaked.

Anyone know who this is?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8235001/Coronavirus-causing-Premier-League-club-lose-9m-week-100m-bank-loan.html

Edited by lost

17 hours ago, eastynh said:

Neil talking broken biscuits.

cheer up easty, as well as not being the richest you won't have the biggest despot in football anymore.

Edited by Neil

30 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I doubt it. It's all gone quiet again. Just on schedule.

This article was posted a couple of hours ago, seems fairly positive to me. Still more than enough time for it to fall through though...

Newcastle takeover nearing completion after contracts exchanged and deposit paid 'Sky Sports'

Edited by Gromite
Grammar

35 minutes ago, Gromite said:

This article was posted a couple of hours ago, seems fairly positive to me. Still more than enough time for it to fall through though...

Newcastle takeover nearing completion after contracts exchanged and deposit paid 'Sky Sports'

Missed that one! That's definitely the closest to done in any takeover yet. 

On 4/21/2020 at 7:04 AM, Neil said:

cheer up easty, as well as not being the richest you won't have the biggest despot in football anymore.

I am ecstatic mate. Had bigger issues over the last few weeks. Been suffering an almighty Crohns flare up. Nevermind whats going on outside, I have had a battle with my own immune system with the confines of my toilet. I have stayed out of hospital by the skin of my teeth. 

Suffering from constipation now and its like trying to shit a brick through a coin slot. Everything has stopped working die to the flare.

No matter how bad I got though, I sat there thinking at least my club did not try to fuck the uk taxpayer over in their time of need. That cheered me up a little.

Edited by eastynh

On 4/18/2020 at 2:30 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

That's kinda the game now though and success isn't guaranteed plus with FFP it'll be a long build and not instant. I'll just be happy to see the back of the current owner who has been nothing but a failure and when he has accidentally stumbled on to some success (Pards 5th & Rafa asking to be manager) he's only gone and f*cked it all up again. You kept hoping he would change but he never did.

Look at even now, we have promising young talent Matty Longstaff in the first team on £850 a week and they can't agree a new contract with him, he's free to walk away. This is from the club whose transfer policy for a decade has been to bring in young players with a hope of high sell on. They've got a kid who they've trained up, they could agree a new 30k a week deal right now and probably sell him on for 20m down the road but there's a stubbornness to the way he operates at negotiations.

Indeed. I don't think it'll be an instant route to success and in fairness, that was the case with Manchester City in the first place - it was 3 years before they won a trophy and 4 before they won the Premier League. And they didn't have the barrier of there being an equivalent funded team on top of the existing big names.

I'm aware of the mindset tbf. Mike Ashley has been consistently awful so I'm aware a lot of people are taking the approach that anybody is an improvement. And yeah the Matty Longstsaff stuff makes no sense, especially given he's looked pretty good on top of having potential. Surely if anybody deserves levelling up its him - moreso than his brother, as he was a bit more inconsistent compared to last year's breakout run.

On 4/20/2020 at 3:15 PM, JSmurphy said:

Weren't Burnley supposedly in a bit of trouble?

They suggested losses of up to £50M and running out of money as a club if football doesn't restart by August. And this despite regard they're among the league's better run operations.

I don't know of any Newcastle fans who are hoping for more than a sense of progression and some seriousness given towards cup runs. Europa League runs is where people would expect over the next 3ish years.

Edited by kaosmark2

20 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I don't know of any Newcastle fans who are hoping for more than a sense of progression and some seriousness given towards cup runs. Europa League runs is where people would expect over the next 3ish years.

No Mbappe in the famous black and white stripes then?

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Dutch league scrapped, no champions or relegations.

Euro places decided on league standing though. Guessing no champions is fair when the top 2 team have equal points.

Bundesliga looks set to start up again though, still could go either way for the PL.

43 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Euro places decided on league standing though. Guessing no champions is fair when the top 2 team have equal points.

Bundesliga looks set to start up again though, still could go either way for the PL.

Their championship leaders were 11 points clear though so their a bit gutted I’d imagine.