Football 19/20

thetime

17 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think the clubs getting it for taking advantage of a govt scheme to protect people is right. 

Nope, the scheme is there for companies of any size and profit to be able to use it. No other huge profitable company is getting the same for doing the same - in fact, Mike Ashley got abuse for NOT doing that with his Sports Direct staff. ;) 

17 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Players are being targeted because they're the richest group of working class. 

there's an element of that, but just about everyone agrees (and has for years) that the wages of top players are obscene, while also being the group of obscenely-paid with the most-regular public profile. Even a media whore like Kanye isn't all over the papers every week of the year.

On top of that, there's a sense of entitlement around it that's unmatched - as demonstrated by the response players have given, from the "it's good that players are paid so much, because taxes" to Rooney's pathetic rant.

Players are being targeted mostly because they're such an easy target.

I presumed that the first choice plan was going to be for English games to be behind closed doors, possibly in neutral venues. Scotland seems to be going down the end season now route, judging by articles and news that Hearts are threatening legal action.

When that starts is another Q.

If they have got any sense they probably realise there is a chance this is the last decent pay day they are going to get. Watching behind closed doors games is terrible and I can see those sky cancellations speeding up.

Bill Gates said yesterday we may not see mass gatherings return until we have a vaccine which could be years away. The premier league could be done here.

Edited by lost

24 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Some people will literally find the fault in everything.

:rolleyes:

Care to point out the criticisms of all those European clubs where the players have taken a 30-ish% cut in pay...? 

Anyone taken up watching Swedish Trotting? according to the FT the sport is keeping bookies going at the moment:

Trotting, where the jockey is pulled behind the horse in a small cart called a sulky, normally attracts a distinctly niche following. But with Sweden resisting the strict lockdowns imposed in other countries, its trotting races have gone global with punters. Swedish bookmaker ATG, which normally averages international weekly revenues of SKr48m ($4.8m), has reported a 465 per cent surge for trotting since the pandemic erupted.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:31 AM, lost said:

If they have got any sense they probably realise there is a chance this is the last decent pay day they are going to get. Watching behind closed doors games is terrible and I can see those sky cancellations speeding up.

Bill Gates said yesterday we may not see mass gatherings return until we have a vaccine which could be years away. The premier league could be done here.

I can guarantee you that if they complete the season with behind-closed-doors matches, there will be a huge demand to watch it. If we are still locked in, undoubtedly even bigger than normal.

I've spent the last two afternoons watching cricket matches that I know who won (England).

Just now, Homer said:

I can guarantee you that if they complete the season with behind-closed-doors matches, there will be a huge demand to watch it. If we are still locked in, undoubtedly even bigger than normal.

I've spent the last two afternoons watching cricket matches that I know who won (England).

Did you watch any of the Champs league matches? I thought they were terrible, just looked like a sunday kickabout. I couldn't believe the difference with no atmosphere.

9 minutes ago, lost said:

Did you watch any of the Champs league matches? I thought they were terrible, just looked like a sunday kickabout. I couldn't believe the difference with no atmosphere.

I've seen no crowd matches in the past and it is weird when you can hear the players shouting to each other. We're in beggars/choosers territory here though.

In more topical news apparently West Ham and Everton are chasing a player called Jesus Corona. This needs to happen next season!

Edited by lost