Football 19/20

thetime

8 hours ago, jyoung said:

that's a fuckin' outrageous excuse.

Might as well go the whole hog and say all of the hugely over-paid workers (more than players, company bosses, etc) should be even more overpaid, as it gives the govt extra money in taxes - and that applies in non-crisis as well as crisis, of course.

If the rich aren't running off with all of the money, it doesn't mean that money just simply vanishes.

And in the scheme of things right now what's £200m anyway? The govt has spent/is spending £350Bn+ on bailouts, the NHS has just had 16Bn of debt wiped out, £1Bn(ish) was spent on 3,500,000 anti-body test kits that didn't work ... or £200m is the cost-per-person to govt from that huge spend of just 28 of the dead so far. 

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You’ll never walk alone... I mean unless you’re a steward, work in the ticket office, man the turnstiles, sell programmes...

absolutely fucking dreadful from Liverpool, in all respects.

But the timing: fuck me, it takes a special sort of idiocy to choose to make yourself the top hate figure in an already-hot row.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

absolutely fucking dreadful from Liverpool, in all respects.

But the timing: fuck me, it takes a special sort of idiocy to choose to make yourself the top hate figure in an already-hot row.

That's the thing that amazes me. How is this hassle and bad PR worth saving the (relatively) small amount of money to pay these staff.

42 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The move now is surely for Everton and Man U to come out saying they won't use Furlough as they dont want taxpayer money diverted at a time like this. It will make Liverpool look even bigger c**ts.

Looks promising according to the Athletic:

Barrett-Baxendale has been Everton CEO since 2018, after the departure of her predecessor Robert Elstone.

Having guided the club’s charity arm, Everton In the Community, from an operation based in a car-park to one of the UK’s biggest sporting charities, she was considered an exciting appointment. Before working in sport she was an educator, spending 16 years in the sector, but when the opportunity came to work for the club she adores, a career-change was a formality.

Barrett-Baxendale will represent the club today in the Premier League meeting to discuss, among other things, wage deferral. When she speaks, her peers at the top table listen.

“She is very well thought of among the Premier League chief executives,” a source from the top flight told The Athletic. “I think there’s a recognition she’s not in this for egotistical reasons.”

On the issue of football’s return, revenue is not the only thing at the forefront of her mind.

“The short and simple answer is: only when it is safe to do so,” she says when asked. “The key priority right now for each Premier League club is to help stop the spread of the virus and everyone is united on prioritising and protecting the health and wellbeing of our players, our fans and our community”

It is her sense of social responsibility that also sets Barrett-Baxendale apart. She was instrumental in signing Everton to the Covid-19 Business Pledge, a commitment by some of the biggest companies in the UK to help employees, customers and communities get through the crisis.

Everton are the only football club signed up to the pledge, launched by former cabinet minister Justine Greening, and Barrett-Baxendale was swiftly invited onto its steering group to provide guidance to co-signatures such as BP, Experian plc, National Grid and DLA Piper.

At Everton, she brought forward pay-day and ensured that all casual match-day and non match-day staff will still be paid throughout the lockdown.

It means stewards will still be paid until the end of the season regardless of whether football returns. If it does, they will also be paid again for working the extra nine games.

“As an organisation with a workforce of full, part-time and casual staff of nearly 1,000 people we have a duty of care to every single one of them,” she told the club’s website.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

You’ll never walk alone... I mean unless you’re a steward, work in the ticket office, man the turnstiles, sell programmes...

They are still getting the 100% wages. Liverpool are just being twats by getting 80% of it from the govt.

56 minutes ago, Neil said:

Might as well go the whole hog and say all of the hugely over-paid workers (more than players, company bosses, etc) should be even more overpaid, as it gives the govt extra money in taxes - and that applies in non-crisis as well as crisis, of course.

That wasn't my take on it. At the end of the day we all know that in a world where poverty is rife, this group are earning gross amounts of money. But in relation to the article, I thought the point was more "Well hang on, if our boss is furloughing non playing staff and we all take a 30% cut then where is that money going?" It shouldn't be to save the bosses a few million. I think they have a right to know a. Where the money is going and b. Make sure that it's done properly? De Gea donated 300k in Spain, Rashford is doing the school meals etc. That to me suggests there is a willingness to help?

And as mentioned above, I wouldn't bet on Everton doing something so poor. They are respected (even by local reds) as being a club that looks after not just it's own but anybody in the city who needs support. Their charity work and community outreach is brilliant and they're very responsive to the city.

Edited by jyoung

19 minutes ago, jyoung said:

That wasn't my take on it. At the end of the day we all know that in a world where poverty is rife, this group are earning gross amounts of money. But in relation to the article, I thought the point was more "Well hang on, if our boss is furloughing non playing staff and we all take a 30% cut then where is that money going?" It shouldn't be to save the bosses a few million. I think they have a right to know a. Where the money is going and b. Make sure that it's done properly? De Gea donated 300k in Spain, Rashford is doing the school meals etc. That to me suggests there is a willingness to help?

From the looks of it, it does seem that it's the Clubs trying to save money rather than done to benefit others.

Im for a players wages reductions if it goes directly to non playing staff/NHS. Not just to some fucking millionaire to offset his lesser profit in one year

Edited by zahidf

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Why can't his friends in the city fund these hospices? Is he trying to deflect from what the government are doing? If we are targeting football, i think it should be Liverpool, spurs and Newcastle and not players in general.

100%. I read something about the richest 6 people in the UK occupying the same amount of wealth as the poorest 13 million people in the country. Don't see Hancock calling them out? What about the offshore lot? What about the tax exiles? Starbucks? Amazon?

35 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

With the likes of him, mount, grealish etc. I think its more arrogance than being dense.

Don't think you can compare Mount going for a kick about to Walker having a sex party and Grealish crashing his car. That said Mount out of all three DEFINITELY shouldn't have been outside considering Hudson-Odoi had been confirmed positive. Properly idiotic.

Edited by jyoung

17 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Don't think you can compare Mount going for a kick about to Walker having a sex party and Grealish crashing his car. That said Mount out of all three DEFINITELY shouldn't have been outside considering Hudson-Odoi had been confirmed positive. Properly idiotic.

I would have thought Mounts behaviour was more risky than the other 2?

16 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Why can't his friends in the city fund these hospices? Is he trying to deflect from what the government are doing? If we are targeting football, i think it should be Liverpool, spurs and Newcastle and not players in general.

why can't footballers be self-aware enough to know that it's hard to justify their wages when they're kicking a ball, and impossible to justify them in these times? Are Rooney - and you - trying to deflect from this? :P 

I hear they're now asking the clubs to prove they're losing money. Don't they read the feckin' sports pages (the answer is no, too busy with sex parties ;) ) 

19 minutes ago, Neil said:

why can't footballers be self-aware enough to know that it's hard to justify their wages when they're kicking a ball, and impossible to justify them in these times? Are Rooney - and you - trying to deflect from this? :P 

I hear they're now asking the clubs to prove they're losing money. Don't they read the feckin' sports pages (the answer is no, too busy with sex parties ;) ) 

There are wealthy people in this country who have inherited millions and not even had to kick a ball.  Why are these people not being asked to contribute.  What I don't understand is of all the professions that produce millionaires. Only one seems to be a target.